Random Thought of the Day

December 23rd, 2015 at 6:33:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I was watching 60 minutes excerpt about Chinese workers at Apple computers largest plant.

By any chance did they contrast conditions there with Chinese brands of electronics? how about other international brands with factories there?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 23rd, 2015 at 7:58:31 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
I really hate Apple, always have. I never
liked Steve Jobs. Never owned an Apple
product and never will. Apple product
owners seem arrogant and think they're
better than the rest of us. They aren't,
and that includes my jackass Apple
owning son in law.

My parents bought me an Apple ][+ in the early 1980's so I kind of grew up with Apple. Although I am not an Apple Fanboy, I do have a 3 year old iphone that works just fine for me. I also own some Android devices that I use regularly. I think they are all usefull and I don't necessarily prefer one over the others.

I do have fond memories of programming on the Apple ][. That was the first PC I owned.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 23rd, 2015 at 9:39:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
My parents bought me an Apple ][+ in the early 1980's

I had one, too, with two disk drives and a green monitor.

I'm amazed, looking back, at what they could do. For "productivity" I used an Apple word processor. I was recycling homework even then ;) There were some rather good games. I much enjoyed Lode Runner (with level editor!) and have some memories of Karateka, Ghostbusters and Summer Games.

Back then, though, the machine to have for games was the Commodore 64.
December 23rd, 2015 at 10:06:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
By any chance did they contrast conditions there with Chinese brands of electronics? how about other international brands with factories there?

Don't know, this was an excerpt they ran as part of late night news, so I didn't see the whole thing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 23rd, 2015 at 10:12:28 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Don't know, this was an excerpt they ran as part of late night news, so I didn't see the whole thing.

Fair enough.

I've no doubt Apple's Chinese factories are dreadful. The price of labor is too cheap. But I do doubt whether they're more dreadful than other factories in China. I say this not as an excuse for Apple, but to define the scope of the problem. If it is a nation-wide issue, singling out Apple won't help.
December 23rd, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM permalink
Nareed
From now on when a Christian asks me if I've accepted Jesus as my savior (whatever that even means), I'll retort with "Do you use the Force?"
December 23rd, 2015 at 11:56:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
From now on when a Christian asks me if I've accepted Jesus as my savior (whatever that even means), I'll retort with "Do you use the Force?"

Tell them you don't want to be "radicalized".
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 24th, 2015 at 5:50:59 PM permalink
rxwine
He watches you while you're sleeping.

December 24th, 2015 at 5:55:01 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Great Visine ad. Cleared Sauron right up
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 25th, 2015 at 4:55:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Gotta admit I owe Even Bob a big thanks for this idea.

A great pastime when bored is to go to Imdb.com for a movie you like or dislike, doesnt matter, and click on "all reviews" and select the category "hated it" from the drop-down list. Of course you have to be in the mood, but it can be quite entertaining.

For some reason, as opposed to most things on the internet, people who can't really write or can only come up with idiotic stuff don't seem to write reviews for movies at this site. So you tend to get fairly intelligent people really ready to vent. I usually break out laughing.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]