Random Thought of the Day

December 27th, 2015 at 8:10:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Ellsworth Kelly is a famous artist who just died.

This pretty much reflects his work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ellsworth+kelly&biw=1280&bih=587&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwijuIvQ1P3JAhVCQCYKHUE7CW0Q_AUIBigB

He's featured in all sorts of art galleries, so he probably made pretty good money.

Still it feels like someone who sells perpetual motion machines. Is there anything there?

When I see meaningless tech babble, or philosophical junk phrases, I don't usually give it a second thought. So, why should I not dismiss this as well?

It looks like nothing much. Oh well, no one is forcing me to spend big bucks on it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 27th, 2015 at 11:42:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Saw Meadowlark Lemon died. One of the few Globetrotters I could name. And I guess "Curly" (bald guy from same era)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 30th, 2015 at 7:48:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If Jerry Jones really loved the Cowboys, he'd sell the team and buy an NFC Eastern division rival he could mess up instead.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 2nd, 2016 at 1:02:59 PM permalink
rxwine
So, in order to communicate with an alien civilization a thousand light years away in a reasonable manner,

-first you need a time machine.
-Then you send a transmitter back to the appropriate time, so the message is received by today.
-Then they send a transmitter back in time so they can reply in a timely matter, otherwise, you'd still be waiting a thousand years.

It's very messy. All the transmitters might constitute "time junk" if you can only go one way.
January 2nd, 2016 at 11:47:42 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
So, in order to communicate with an alien civilization a thousand light years away in a reasonable manner,

-first you need a time machine.
-Then you send a transmitter back to the appropriate time, so the message is received by today.
-Then they send a transmitter back in time so they can reply in a timely matter, otherwise, you'd still be waiting a thousand years.

It's very messy. All the transmitters might constitute "time junk" if you can only go one way.

Or maybe somebody can figure out how to find tesseracts in space (remember A Wrinkle In Time)? Then you could just aim your transmitter through a conveniently placed portal.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 4th, 2016 at 6:33:44 AM permalink
Nareed

One argument against the possibility of time travel is the question: where are all the time travelers? Now you found a new one: where are all the time-traveling interstellar transmitters?
January 4th, 2016 at 3:34:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Should the Steelers win Super Bowl L (very unlikely), the city of Pittsburgh ought to erect a statue of Rex Ryan, perhaps right next to that of Franco Harris at the Immaculate Reception.
January 4th, 2016 at 6:36:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
One argument against the possibility of time travel is the question: where are all the time travelers? Now you found a new one: where are all the time-traveling interstellar transmitters?

The safest place to send an "interstellar transmitter" back in time is from a time machine located on a distant space station. So, it ends up in empty Space.

So, they are out there!! Distant, dead, and basically unnoticed space junk.

In 2040, an outgoing manned explorer to Jupiter came within 1000 meters of one, but guessed incorrectly it was an old Russian, Japanese, Bahamian space junk. (Bahamas became an unexpected force in space exploration in 2028) (sci fi lore)

(that's my answer and I'm stickin' to it.)
January 5th, 2016 at 6:38:52 AM permalink
Nareed
The safest place to send an "interstellar transmitter" back in time is from a time machine located on a distant space station. So, it ends up in empty Space.

Q: How do you conceal a transmitter while it's operating?
A: You don't.

The energy required to send a coherent radio signal at interstellar distances is huge, even if there is a receiver as wide as a planet on the other end. The antenna would be huge, too, but that's secondary. The point is while in operation it would be as inconspicuous as a fireworks show at night.

So where are all the time-traveling interstellar transmitters? :)
January 5th, 2016 at 9:35:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
Q: How do you conceal a transmitter while it's operating?
A: You don't.

The energy required to send a coherent radio signal at interstellar distances is huge, even if there is a receiver as wide as a planet on the other end. The antenna would be huge, too, but that's secondary. The point is while in operation it would be as inconspicuous as a fireworks show at night.

So where are all the time-traveling interstellar transmitters? :)

Hey, I suppose you expect me to explain how the time machine works as well!!!

1. The transmitters are sent to an 'eclipse' position, whereby the Sun is completely blocking it from the Earth and any known inhabited space vessels (very few, if any) at that point in history.
2. The energy source needed for the transmission is also sent through time.

(Well, you know, a simpler solution is have them all burnt up in the Sun anyway, now that I think about it Eliminate the time junk completely)