Gravity breaking the modern rules

Page 5 of 7« First<234567>
December 18th, 2013 at 6:58:10 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: zippyboy
When I'm out plinking targets with my .45, the recoil can really hurt, particularly in wintertime. I once shot a friend's S&W .50 cal revolver and hit the target on the first shot, but couldn't hit it after that because my hand hurt so much, the anticipation of the next shot made me miss. So I crack up at recoil-less movie gunfights too, Face.

I hate it. It's a disease lol. Everywhere I look, I'm like "nope", "nope", "NOPE!".

"Carl" (Steve Buscemi) in Fargo rips 5 or 6 shots as fast as can be out of a 9mm SIG Sauer, arm outstretched, one handed. Every shot lands center mass.

Nope.

"Copperhead" (Vivica A. Fox) blasts a Walther PPK .380 from inside a cereal box, again, one handed. Box doesn't even move.

Nope.

Any scene anywhere where gratuitous automatic fire is used. Hold at the hip, hold the trigger, and spray "back and forth". Gun never climbs up and away.

NOPE!

And I'm one of those assholes that not only can't not see it, but I also can't not comment on it. It's probably better off that I gave up TV =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 18th, 2013 at 10:55:11 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Some movies have addressed certain realities:

Comments about Jason Bourne knowing he can run so many meters at this altitude before his hand will shake too much to hit any target.

Or rounds starting near the ceiling level giving all restaurant patrons chances to hit the floor before rounds start hitting the walls lower down, the reverse of what would normally be expected from fully automatic fire.

Its like attending a foreign language movie with subtitles and someone who knows the language, they just can't stop pointing out all the mistranslations and politically correct substitutions in the dialog.
December 19th, 2013 at 9:00:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
Even I hate watching movies with myself ><

"I know what to do. JUMANJI!! Does anything from the movies ever actually work?" Homer J. Simpson.

Lately the Mythbusters have been doing a lot of "myths" taken from movies. Surprisingly sometimes things work as depicted, or close (like skipping a car across a short pond (or big puddle), less surprisingly sometimes the stunt would have results opposite as those shown in the film.

"You go to the movies to enjoy yourself, not to learn science, politics, history or economics; this includes docummentaries. If you want to learn, and enjoy it, find skilled authors in the subjects that interest you." Nareed.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 29th, 2013 at 10:08:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Speaking of gravity, I saw "Barbarella" (or much of it) for the first time. You can definitely tell what era it came from. **Nudity** in the opening.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 23rd, 2015 at 1:09:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Evenbob
I read Sandra Bullock said it was a hard movie
for her because she spent most of her time
on the set in a small green screen cubicle,
all alone, for weeks and weeks. I haven't
seen it but I generally don't like the green
screen movies, they're heavy on CG and light
on any real acting. I mean c'mon, weeks in a
cubicle, acting with nobody to play off of,
doing it over and over till you get it right?
I don't think so.

Finally saw Gravity last night, was really looking
forward to it. Holy crap, what a disappointment.

Did they do this as a comedy? Dipshit Sandra Bullock
character flailing around in space for 90min,
and a cardboard Clooney delivering a few deadpan
boring lines before he drifts out of the movie.

The mistakes in the science are so plentiful and so
ridiculous, why even go into them. The fact that
they would send an emotional unprepared wreck
of a woman into space is the real joke. After Clooney
drifted off (thank god) I mostly FF'd thru it laughing
my ass off. Thank god it was only 90 min. You want
some real laughs, go to IMDB and read the 'Hated It'
reviews. There are 40 pages (Forty pages!) of them.
My favorite was 'So bad it makes the Muppet's look
like a science class.' lol
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 24th, 2015 at 5:06:59 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Finally saw Gravity last night

probably watch it today, will compare notes

You want
some real laughs, go to IMDB and read the 'Hated It'
reviews.

oh, yeah, those can be good. Will wait though.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 24th, 2015 at 1:51:48 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
OK, where I am starting from, before seeing the movie, is liking both actors. And although I can have problems with blatant inaccuracy, lack of realism, etc., I'm not as bad as Face describes himself. Bullock having nice looking hair and all? Fine with that, at least she didn't look like she walked out of a beauty parlor at all times [as Hollywood will often do]

And anytime a movie is about 90 minutes, it's rare I don't applaud.

What I liked: the movie did a remarkable job of showing what it would look like to be in space. I really don't know how they did it, green screens or not. CGI or not. Bullock's character doesn't spend a lot of time reliving why she might be unhappy; no scenes of previous life. There is just a hint it's a problem for her - I was expecting the opposite.

The movie had realistic and unrealistic aspects both. "Suspense of disbelief" worked for a while but things that were 'off' progressed to the point that it started to ruin things a bit. I couldn't get into the suspense of "will she get out of this" I think because of the sequentially progressing improbables. See spoiler box.

I haven't read any 'hated it' comments yet but expect to see agreement on some things. I'm pretty sure there aren't any space suits with the abilities that Clooney's had. OK, maybe that is around the corner, but we start right off with me going 'hmmm' . But then these various space stations she needs to get to are all within sight of each other. Really? Would someone in Bullock's position really be trained to hop [literally] into the Russian and Chinese equipment and start operating it and using its equipment? Would even Clooney's character be able to do that? And I think we all know you don't just detach a re-entry vehicle and find yourself doing a non-disastrous re-entry, come on. Space debris is going to be perfectly designed to slow you down 'just right' ? Each and every tiny speck would be a disastrous impact of course. I'll stop.

Overall I'd say the things I liked overcame the things I did not. I was disappointed that the suspense of it was a flop for me.

PS:

http://www.spaceanswers.com/space-exploration/16-things-gravity-got-wrong-and-some-things-it-got-right-too/

http://science.time.com/2013/10/01/what-gravity-gets-right-and-wrong-about-space/
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 24th, 2015 at 3:45:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I remember thinking I've seen 50's SF
movies better than this. That's when
I started FF'ing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 24th, 2015 at 4:07:06 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Watched it on a plane.
I enjoyed it.
Its not great science fiction.
But it was entertaining, I enjoyed it. 3 out of 5 stars.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 24th, 2015 at 6:04:04 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I thought Gravity was great.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
Page 5 of 7« First<234567>