Cooking thread

July 28th, 2016 at 8:47:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: pew
Curly dock?
Great stuff. If you foolishly handle the Stinging Nettle, then simply grasp a nearby dock plant for instant relief. It is high in oxalic acid so there is a slight danger of kidney stones but its great in salads anyway. High in Vitamin A and C, high in iron, (roots even higher). Great stuff. The young curly leaves are the best.

NOTE: Might be known as Yellow Dock in your neck of the woods.
July 30th, 2016 at 5:57:08 PM permalink
Fleastiff
T'was a dark and stormy night when he used the last of his larder to make a meat loaf forgetting that 'stormy' portends extensive power outages. Fortunately it was only beef, not beef and pork so there was no risk of that trichinosis stuff from raw pork.
August 1st, 2016 at 1:01:36 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I made a burger patty casserole with a rather thick sauce of cottage cheese, light jocoque (essentially like Greek yogurt, but a bit less acidic), tomato pure and garlic. The sauce is really good, but too thick. I think on the next go-round I should add a cup of milk.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 1st, 2016 at 7:26:25 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
Great stuff. If you foolishly handle the Stinging Nettle, then simply grasp a nearby dock plant for instant relief. It is high in oxalic acid so there is a slight danger of kidney stones but its great in salads anyway. High in Vitamin A and C, high in iron, (roots even higher). Great stuff. The young curly leaves are the best.

NOTE: Might be known as Yellow Dock in your neck of the woods.
The only dock we got around here has our boats tied to it. It's a gray dock.
August 1st, 2016 at 9:14:51 PM permalink
Fleastiff
The only dock we got around here has our boats tied to it. It's a gray dock.

Mr. Pew: Here is some Seventeenth Century poetry for you yacht owners. Don't yacht owners wrap their butter in dock leaves the way the Irish did before burying it in a bog? Perhaps you should contemplate this issue while having a nice refreshing cup of Stinging Nettle tea?

Come here, son: look! that leaf is dock,
Beside the dandelion clock.

Wherever stinging nettle grows
There, too, the healing dock leaf blows

As if to show some grand Design
Of Mother Nature, all benign,

Who suffers with her children's pain
And longs to make them well again:

Who cannot but provide relief
As in this sting-­removing leaf.

………………………..

Or are there flowers that can abate
The pain when people love, or hate?

No: men and towns to dust return:
The fires drink up the clouds, and burn.

Oh no, relief is never there.
Come, we must go: and son, beware,

For where the balmy dock leaves stand
Are stinging nettles close at hand.
August 2nd, 2016 at 7:21:39 AM permalink
pew
You made me curious so I took the time and great effort to google this curly dock of which you speak. Are you trying to poison me?
August 2nd, 2016 at 8:09:43 AM permalink
Fleastiff
You made me curious so I took the time and great effort to google this curly dock of which you speak. Are you trying to poison me?
Of course not, both stinging nettles and docks have high oxalic acid content in anything but the young leaves of early spring, so you do have to be cautious but stinging nettles are often used in teas, soups and salads. So to is the dock plant, particularly the Butter Dock.

"great effort" ???? Hey, its not as if I had asked you to wash your pots and pans or anything like that.
August 3rd, 2016 at 4:58:18 AM permalink
pew
I had to click my mouse like three times man, that's rough.
August 3rd, 2016 at 7:23:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I finally found someone to give me a lift to the grocery store that has a scale in it. ALL that foul tasting and very expensive Liquid Chalk and I gained five pounds.!!!
If I could afford it, I'd buy some Hemlock.
August 3rd, 2016 at 3:01:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
On a whim I tried mixing plain Greek yogurt (Chobani, non-fat, zero sugar) with my home made peanut butter (with peanut oil, zero sugar) and chocolate syrup (Hershey's low-cal, low-ish sugar).

Amazing!

Of course, it kind of negates the non-fat part of the yogurt, but it was sooooooooooooooo good! You wouldn't guess there's a pinch of garlic powder in the PB.

Tomorrow I'll try jelly or marmalade (no sugar added) instead of chocolate syrup. PB&J yogurt :)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER