Cooking thread

August 27th, 2016 at 12:03:09 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Does anyone have a recipie for preparing Red Harvester Ants?
August 27th, 2016 at 1:05:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Does anyone have a recipie for preparing Red Harvester Ants?

Colombians are very fond of ants, but they usually go for the more fatty ones. I think they just roast and salt them.

Crickets and termites are more readily edible than ants IMHO. Crickets were very popular in southern Mexico. They were fried with chiles, and you could buy them in the market.

August 27th, 2016 at 3:39:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Yeah, it seems chilies or chilies and lime is just about the only way they eaten although I have heard of crickets dipped in chocolate.

I don't think it would be worth my efforts to even harvest the ants.

on edit: My brief investigation in how to harvest ants for food let me know that scientists use vaccuum cleaners, so this might be a good idea for extermination purposes too.
August 30th, 2016 at 9:07:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
This week I want to try to make baked onion rings, and burgers. But only for lunch Saturday or Sunday. For the week I've no idea what to make yet. Perhaps chicken in low/zero-sugar BBQ sauce...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 30th, 2016 at 11:05:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Baked onion rings and burgers sounds great.
With all these new miracle pots and miracle pans that are advertised why don't you just do the chicken without any sauce at all, according to the late night tv ads it won't stick to the pan at all and will get evenly cooked without any need for conductive fluids.
Though for a change, why not try duck or turkey? Fried turkey restaurants are supposedly making money hand over fist.
August 30th, 2016 at 12:42:19 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Assistance Requested: Culinary Foams.

I get the difference between a food and foam in terms of physics but what is the reason for so many culinary foams being served instead of food being served?

Examples. Why would I want to ingest Monkfish Liver Foam when I could ingest Monkfish liver? Why Skyr foam when I could have Skyr? Why are so many dogs being served chicken liver foam instead of chicken livers?

Are micronutrients enhanced in bioavailability if presented in a foam instead of a pure food?

On-edit:
Consider the following: Strawberry Mousse with Skyr Foam and frozen horseradish as opposed to Strawberries, youghurt and ordinary-temperature horseradish? What is the difference? Total calories would be less since you are eating alot of air but is there any other difference?
September 2nd, 2016 at 10:31:58 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Walmart just had small bottles of Aloe Vera drink, not even labled juice.
Finally whizzed my motorized cart all over Walmart and found that they shelve the Aloe Vera sugary drinks near the booze and the half gallon aloe vera juice near the pharmacy. Maybe they are trying to tell me something?

I'm guzzling some lemon-ginger Kombucha Tea that ain't 'tea' but has a zing (and some booze) to it.

I'll soon be able to embark on the almosds blended to death and the other nuts blended half to death and I will see how it tastes.

On edit: It took me almost two days to wash the blender and get it reassembled properly so it does't leak all over the countertop. Unfortunately, the glass pitcher is almost opaque due to the hard water, but atleast its reassembled without any parts left over or any leaks. Was a puzzlement!
September 4th, 2016 at 12:25:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Due to forces beyond my control, ie, gravity, I had to pick up the spilled walnuts and use them promptly, so I added them to the blender, a bit of water to get things going and later some milk and a dollop of difuranylol methane. Tasted pretty good. Nutritious too, I'm told. This Haute Cuisine stuff is pretty good.

I tried it with unsalted roasted almonds but only got foam even when I added two jiggers of aloe vera juice it was just foam and it refused to make almond milk no matter how much I hit the max button on the blender. Still foam, not milk. So no almond milk just almond paste .. tasted a bit like fish at first.
September 5th, 2016 at 2:48:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Finally whizzed my motorized cart all over Walmart

I use a cart at Walmart when I need
bird food, it's as far as you can get
from the grocery entrance, a 3 minute
walk at least. It really pisses me off
when I can't find a cart and some
black kids are joy riding them and
racing in the aisles. Every time I
complain the manager says the law
lets them do it, the carts are for
anybody who wants to use them.

Arrghhhhh!!!
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 7th, 2016 at 12:05:28 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: petroglyph
I have a machine called a "Nutri-bullet", otherwise known as a blender.

I make many a smoothie and I try to add 3 nuts, 3 berries, aloe vera juice from WM for 6$ per gallon as a base. I add protein powder, and veggies and they are great. I may possibly be a little ocd on ingredients, but according to those that sell such devices, it is the best way for the body to receive nutrition.

Love the Resveratrol.

Everytime I use the blender for nuts it leaves so much of the nut on the blender and if I pour it into a drinking cup full of milk, alot sticks to the cup... how do I go about blenderizing enough so that it flows instead of oozes out of the blender???