The GoPro Thread

Page 1 of 201234>Last »
January 8th, 2014 at 11:26:07 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
We all write about the stuff we do, so let's show it, too!

This thread is for dumping footage of your antics and exploits. If you have a video of something you've done, seen, or written about, feel free to share so others can see, too =)

I know Wiz has promised some skiing vids as well as some biking trips. I'll also be adding some winter and racing driving material, and will probably post up some outdoors and fishing highlights. I might even add some shooting stuff and ignore that whole "no felonious acts" clause in the rules, because I assume Wiz supports freedom and the Constitution more than some NYS bullshit "Act". Consider this assumption a request for clarification, Wiz =)

Feel free to request anything you may have seen me write about and want to experience via video, within reason*. Also, while I'd prefer this not to get jammed up with a thousand YouTube vids of random stuff, feel free to do as rxwine did to inspire this thread by showing cool things that others have done to promote ideas for us supplying the video.

Let's get started!

*Cue FleaStiff's unreasonable request XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 8th, 2014 at 11:41:33 AM permalink
Face
I'll start with this goodie that I already wrote about, but never uploaded to YouTube to enable posting. Until now. From my Lake Placid, NY thread, it's the bobsled run!

To recap, you can pay to run the bobsled and skeleton runs at Lake Placid's Olympic training center. It's around $80 for the bob, $60 for the skeleton, or $120 for both. Both runs are made on the lower half of the actual Olympic track. For the bob, a driver and brake man are supplied and you sit in the middle. For the skeleton, they just fling your ass down the chute all by your onesies.

I didn't have fancy cameras back when this was taken, this is just my phone held off to the side of the sled. Even if I had the ultimate of GoPro cameras and the latest harness, nothing could get rid of the shakiness present in this video. It is insanely rough, and faster than you could ever imagine. I know it looks fast on TV, but when you're hauling balls into a corner, even for a guy like me who's been into motorsports and has been testing the limit all his life, every fibre of your being is screaming "there's no way we're gonna make that corner!" And before you know it, you're smashed into your seat by the G forces and rocketing out the other side. Absolute insanity.

At about 0:46, the coverage goes dark for a moment. That's because I could not keep my arm extended due to the G forces. The coverage dips, I fight back and coverage returns for a moment, then physics reminds me who's boss and coverage is lost as I get absolutely crushed by the G's.

Unless you have spinal or cardiovascular issues, anytime you find yourself near a facility such as this, you MUST seek it out. It's only a minute, but it's the best $80 you'll ever spend =D

January 9th, 2014 at 9:38:38 PM permalink
Face
Guess I'll keep motoring along in this thing until Wiz drops by...

This is my phone again, just figured out how to dump video and haven't had anything GoPro worthy in days. It's just a little teaser of a gun video I had laying around in my phone. I suspect this may cause some comments, but if it turns into an outright debate we can take it to my other thread...

I reckon it's hard to count, but that's a 2 round burst followed by an 8 round burst. Perhaps this backs up my comments to FrG about how worthless a true "assault rifle" is when it comes to body counts. If the zombies attacked at that moment, semi auto would've turned those ten rounds into ten kills. On full auto, I might have clipped two, before I was out of rounds, overrun and chewed asunder.
January 9th, 2014 at 10:55:12 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
That is the mantra of Generals for centuries... if we allow the soldiers to have rapid fire weapons they will waste ammunition.

And so combat expands from Massed Forces arrayed face to face with four shots to the minute to such things as murder by aiming at officers, or waste of ammunition with Spray and Pray. But we have warfare where some weapons don't have a single fire switch or atleast the soldier sure doesn't know where it is. And don't bother telling him, he is to busy at "throwing lead at the enemy" to take aim either at the enemy or at your comments.
January 9th, 2014 at 11:15:17 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Fleastiff
That is the mantra of Generals for centuries... if we allow the soldiers to have rapid fire weapons they will waste ammunition.

It seems to me that this is the most blatantly obvious fact anywhere in the gun debate, one which needn't even a mote of explanation. If one is devoid of imagination, videos like the one I posted above are numerous and self explanatory. Why, then, is it still an area of contention? Who can look at that video or any like it and say, with honesty, that a gun of this type makes killing many people easier? How can such an obvious answer elude people?

The mind boggles.
January 10th, 2014 at 10:09:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I have a new GoPro video up, the Tropicana Flamingo Wash. Unlike prior biking videos, I have the camera is on my helmet this time, for less shaking. I hope the video isn't too boring.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 11th, 2014 at 4:19:26 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Another new video, the Western Beltway Trail. I know these bike videos are pretty boring but I'd be interested in any thoughts about them and how to improve them.

For one thing, do you think I sped it up too much or too little. It is three times as fast as I actually rode.
January 11th, 2014 at 6:21:09 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Wizard
Another new video, the Western Beltway Trail. I know these bike videos are pretty boring but I'd be interested in any thoughts about them and how to improve them.

For one thing, do you think I sped it up too much or too little. It is three times as fast as I actually rode.

Quality looks good. I'm actually surprised there's not more intense shaking, as it's sped up. I feel like I'm riding a motorcycle watching that. You also seem to keep your head very level, only looking at the wheel occasionally or looking for traffic when crossing a road. Is that normal for you, or are you acutely aware that you can't/shouldn't look around much?

What are those deep concrete ditches that sometimes parallel the trail? Don't tell me those are cricks/rivers a la downtown LA? XD

I won't pick on your music. That's too personal ;)

But I do have to agree with EvenBob; my god what a dreary place LV looks to be. I mean, what do you think about when you ride? When I do stuff of that nature, my mind is constantly wandering. Looking at trees, or a passing crick, or a flock of birds, or a darting rabbit, or blossoming flowers... you know, STUFF. When I watch your vids, all that goes through my mind is - rocks, rocks, rocks, ooh mountains in the distance, rocks, rocks, rocks, is that...? nope, more rocks, rocks, rocks.... I guess I'm just curious where your mind goes when there's nothing to look at =)

I wouldn't worry about it being "boring". For those who are interested in biking or skating, this is a very cool thing to do and provide. It allows one to see what a trail is like without having to waste hours pedaling one they wouldn't like. You can see traffic, shade spots, proximity to commerce, conditions of the path itself... perhaps even people who only think of the strip when they hear "Vegas" can get sort of an inside peek of what town is like.

My only request? Take this thing with you when you do the park hikes and whatnot to Zion or wherever, the "off the beaten path" trips you take. You don't have to tape the whole 4 hours or whatever, but get some shots =)
January 11th, 2014 at 7:06:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
January 11th, 2014 at 7:08:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Face
Quality looks good. I'm actually surprised there's not more intense shaking, as it's sped up. I feel like I'm riding a motorcycle watching that. You also seem to keep your head very level, only looking at the wheel occasionally or looking for traffic when crossing a road. Is that normal for you, or are you acutely aware that you can't/shouldn't look around much?

Yes, I was trying to not look around too much, knowing I was recording. I'm still getting used to the clip-in pedals, which is why I have to look down sometimes. In the Western Beltway trail I also look down sometimes to get my water bottle.

I faced a dilemma with that last two. There is a lot less shaking if I ride downhill. However, the downhill direction faces the sun. GoPro does a good job of minimizing sun glare but it is still there. In the end I decided to go uphill and suffer more shaking on the video to not have the sun in my face.

Quote:
What are those deep concrete ditches that sometimes parallel the trail? Don't tell me those are cricks/rivers a la downtown LA?

They are! Keep in mind Vegas is a pretty flat Valley. Thanks to those ditches we don't get flooded every time it rains. Now only once every 10-20 years. The last big flooding was about a year before I moved here.

Quote:
But I do have to agree with EvenBob; my god what a dreary place LV looks to be. I mean, what do you think about when you ride? When I do stuff of that nature, my mind is constantly wandering. Looking at trees, or a passing crick, or a flock of birds, or a darting rabbit, or blossoming flowers... you know, STUFF. When I watch your vids, all that goes through my mind is - rocks, rocks, rocks, ooh mountains in the distance, rocks, rocks, rocks, is that...? nope, more rocks, rocks, rocks.... I guess I'm just curious where your mind goes when there's nothing to look at =)

I haven't heard the word "crick" in 20 years. My last girlfriend, not counting my wife, used to use it and it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It's CREEK.

Where I live I could be rock climbing at Red Rock in 15 minutes. How many people can say they live that close to some of American's, even the world's, best rock climbing. Okay, suburban Vegas looks like it was made of ticky-tacky but at least it is usually sunny and the weather is really pretty good on average.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it being "boring". For those who are interested in biking or skating, this is a very cool thing to do and provide. It allows one to see what a trail is like without having to waste hours pedaling one they wouldn't like. You can see traffic, shade spots, proximity to commerce, conditions of the path itself... perhaps even people who only think of the strip when they hear "Vegas" can get sort of an inside peek of what town is like.

Thanks! That is what I'm trying to do.

Quote:
My only request? Take this thing with you when you do the park hikes and whatnot to Zion or wherever, the "off the beaten path" trips you take. You don't have to tape the whole 4 hours or whatever, but get some shots =)

You got it, my friend!

In other news, I'm working on yet another slot machine deconstruction. The video of my play is here. Warning: super boring.
Page 1 of 201234>Last »