The GoPro Thread

Page 19 of 20« First<1617181920>
August 17th, 2016 at 2:02:39 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Aussie
I'm going to be making a GoPro video of the ascent up the cables on half dome next week. If anyone is interested I will post it here?

We are definitely interested
Yes. post a link here :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 17th, 2016 at 5:52:31 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: terapined

Will do. Provided I even get there. Have been involved in the mother of all debacles today at LAX. Still not in Vegas. Have you ever heard of an airline thinking they were flying to Seattle and loading too much fuel to land safely? LOL
August 17th, 2016 at 6:03:14 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

The descent doesn't get enough attention, even though folks have died coming down. I'd be interested in that video too.
August 17th, 2016 at 6:13:43 PM permalink
Aussie
Quote: Ayecarumba
The descent doesn't get enough attention, even though folks have died coming down. I'd be interested in that video too.

Ok I'll try to take one coming down the chains too. Bear in mind though that coming down backwards (facing towards the top) is the easiest way so not sure how much the video will show.
August 17th, 2016 at 7:31:56 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Aussie
Ok I'll try to take one coming down the chains too. Bear in mind though that coming down backwards (facing towards the top) is the easiest way so not sure how much the video will show.

Turn the camera around :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 17th, 2016 at 8:14:53 PM permalink
Aussie
Turn the camera around :-)

Good idea haha. Will see how I go anyway.
August 24th, 2016 at 11:43:51 PM permalink
Aussie
So after a few last minute dramas (chest harness was lost/stolen but was able to borrow another from a nearby cabin) I was able to record an approx 17min video of the ascent up the cables on half dome yesterday. Unfortunately I wasn't able to record the descent as I was carrying a backpack which meant there wasn't anywhere to strap the harness to which would give good footage. I'm not really a guru with editing so I will have to wait until I get back to Australia in a week and a half to do this and then upload. Once that's done you'll be able to enjoy the (hopefully good) footage as well as my colourful language. Here's requesting temporary immunity from the "keep it PG" rule for entertainment purposes.
August 25th, 2016 at 9:52:39 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
No problem Aussie! Glad to hear it worked out.

Were the cables crowded? Were you able to spend the night before close to the base, or did you have to hike in the dark first?

What happens if someone needs to "answer the call of nature" while on the rock? Are there facilities?
August 25th, 2016 at 3:55:46 PM permalink
Aussie
Quote: Ayecarumba
No problem Aussie! Glad to hear it worked out.

Were the cables crowded? Were you able to spend the night before close to the base, or did you have to hike in the dark first?

What happens if someone needs to "answer the call of nature" while on the rock? Are there facilities?

I started from Yosemite valley (Half Dome Village) at 5:45am (sunrise was around 6:30) and reached the cables ar approx 10:15am. At that time there weren't a whole heaps of people on the cable route. No one coming down and not too many going up so was able to ascend at my own pace. Coming down was a different story. By the time I was rested enough and ready to come down there were many more people in both directions. It took quite a while to get down between giving way to those coming up and waiting for those below me to go further down.

I'm sure people have no problem relieving themselves up the top. It's quite big and there are plenty of places you could duck off to of you needed.

EDIT: have corrected arrival time based on time photos were taken. Took a total of 4.5hrs to reach the top. Began the descent at 11:15am and arrived back in Yosemite valley around 3:30pm.
September 25th, 2016 at 5:12:44 AM permalink
Aussie
Ok have finally managed to upload my climb up the cables on half dome to youtube for your enjoyment at my expense. Due to the steep angle of the climb all that is seen for most of it is the immediate path infront of me. Anyway, it still gives some idea of what is involved.

If anyone can tell me how to embed the video into the post please let me know and I will edit.

Half Dome Cables
Page 19 of 20« First<1617181920>