What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 14th, 2014 at 12:31:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
She's one of the few women who looked better
in her 30's and 40's than she did in her 20's.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 14th, 2014 at 6:11:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes on Saturday.

The story starts about ten years after the Rise of the Planet of the Apes. As the movie opens, the Apes haven't seen a human in two years and thought a virus killed all of them. However, they suddenly encounter two humans in the woods, one of whom shoots an ape. Soon after they learn there is a colony of human living in San Francisco, not far from where the apes live in the woods north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The humans are low on fuel and want to activate a dam in Ape territory. To the strong disagreement of many apes, Caesar, the head ape, lets them, in the interests of keeping peace. This causes a power struggle among the apes between the peaceful ones loyal to Caesar and those who want to go to war with the humans while they have a perceived advantage. Meanwhile, there is basically the same debate going on among the humans about the apes -- make peace or go to war.

That is about as far as far as I should get.

I can't say that I liked this one as much as Rise, but I loved Rise so it set a high bar to beat. My main fault with Dawn is that it was kind of like Lost, there was something significant happening all the time, and it was exhausting keeping up with it. Some of the ape characters looked similar so it was also a chore to remember several ape names and what they looked like. I think my review would go up after a second viewing.

In closing, I would give Dawn of the Planet of the Apes an 8 on the 0 to 10 scale. I would suggest trying to watch Rise of the Planet of the Apes first if you can, but it isn't vital to do so.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 15th, 2014 at 12:51:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes on Saturday.

As corny as some of it seems now decades later, I liked the interaction between humans and apes in the Charlton Heston movie. All the classic lines "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!", "Doctor, I'd like to kiss you goodbye. - All right, but you're so damned ugly" and "I loathe bananas".

Although I liked "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", there was none of that exchange.

I hope there is more in the sequel.
July 15th, 2014 at 12:23:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
As corny as some of it seems now decades later, I liked the interaction between humans and apes in the Charlton Heston movie.

I hated those movies, and the TV series they spawned.

Although I do like the scene where Heston says "Get your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!" The man could act. Still, I'd rather see him perform in something better, like "Soylent Green."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 15th, 2014 at 12:53:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Nareed
I hated those movies, and the TV series they spawned.

I did also, never liked any of them. I don't
like movies where the actors wear elaborate
costumes, you get really crappy acting when
that happens. There's an old saying in the
theatre that when you wear a costume, it
does most of the acting for you. And it's
certainly true in movies.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 16th, 2014 at 2:39:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I had suspension-of-disbelief problems with each and every Planet of the Apes movie, including the first one. But the first one was an undeniable classic, had to watch it, still watch segments.

Tried to watch "Rise" but things were bothering me.
The apes in the lab would not have all been killed because one of them got loose. The mother instinct of that one would have been to protect the baby, not go crazy and attack everybody. The billion dollar project that was being funded would not be abandoned over this one incident. The project leader being played unconvincingly by James Franco would not have been talked into raising this one baby ape. That's as far as I got.

Additionally, I don't really like deviation from the "Nuclear War happened, then Apes took over" theme, not really.

I'll grant you that when someone has suspension-of-disbelief problems in a movie you yourself still like, it hits you that the guy is taking it too personal or too seriously. I know this but still couldnt shake it off. I might try "Rise" again, fast forwarding past whatever silly crap is being shown about raising the baby, then picking it up again.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 16th, 2014 at 3:41:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Chimpanzees watch ‘Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’ — and give it two thumbs up

The chimps handed over their tickets themselves and paid for their own popcorn and refreshments, according to the report.

They've also apparently developed sophisticated enough tastes to avoid the theater showing "Transformers: Age of Extinction."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/chimpanzees-watch-dawn-planet-apes-article-1.1869478#ixzz37fqK9fFQ
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 16th, 2014 at 3:45:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I was wondering about rules about animals in the theater, but then when you consider what kind of humans you see in there sometimes, it just wouldn't be fair to not make comparisons in the chimps favor.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 16th, 2014 at 4:19:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I was wondering about rules about animals in the theater, but then when you consider what kind of humans you see in there sometimes, it just wouldn't be fair to not make comparisons in the chimps favor.

I've yet to see a human being throw feces in a movie theater.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 16th, 2014 at 9:58:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Tried watching The Master and made it to 30min and
gave up. I like Phil Hoffman but this is a nothing movie.
If after 30 min you have no idea what's going on and
don't care about a single character, the movie is a dud.

They spend the first 22 min showing the Phoenix
character to be an off his rocker addict, drinking anything
he could get, from gasoline to photo chemicals to
Lysol. It just went on and on. I read some of the reviews.
One said of the 24 people in the theatre, 8 left less
than halfway thru, 3 fell asleep, and after it was over
a couple was trying to get their money back. It
made a whopping 26 mil worldwide and had to cost
twice that to make.