What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

July 22nd, 2014 at 8:09:36 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Saw the Ape movie today, liked it. Some slow parts, but overall it was a worthwhile investment of an entertainment dollar.
July 23rd, 2014 at 4:16:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
They may have to make a special award for the film that makes the most money without going to China. Last year's winner was hugely popular in Europe and australia, but censors would not let them in China
The Wolf of Wall Street Par. $392.0 million with 70.2% overseas

This year the leader is
300: Rise of An Empire WB $331.1 million

But I would put money on
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes Fox $252.0 in less than 2 weeks
August 8th, 2014 at 12:01:38 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy a couple of days ago.

It's a meaningless ditty about a raccoon, a tree, a guy, a girl and a strong man going out and doing good for the galaxy and in particular in their attempt to save a planet from the evil Ronin, who was out to possess an orb that holds a special destructive power.

Character and humour was excellent. Scenery and special effects were excellent. But the plot devices used to resolve issues were pure imagination and made you suspend reality. I mean, if they couldn't think of a realistic way of getting through something, a special power was invented to make it through the scene. You get a bit tired of it after awhile. Acting is mid-range at best.

But as far as meaningless, good entertainment, this fits the bill. Chris Pratt was rightly cast as the lead in this movie, and I really had my doubts if he would do any good, but he sold me on the character and the fact that he can actually act decently.
August 8th, 2014 at 12:14:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: boymimbo
if they couldn't think of a realistic way of getting through something, a special power was invented to make it through the scene. You get a bit tired of it after awhile.

But that's modern life. As an adult you
can live a fantasy life if you want. 91mil
able bodied people are unemployed
in this country now, living off the govt
tit, or with their parents or on faked
disability. They live a scaled back life
of sleeping till noon and watching cable
all day and living on the internet. Just make
up your life as you go along.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 10th, 2014 at 5:34:42 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I saw Lucy today. Interesting idea, dumb story and lots of plot holes. Some scenes seemed to be there just to show off the CGI that an intern just learned how to do, with no reason for it or explanation why it occurred. Scarlet looked hot as always though, and Morgan Freeman was great of course. The car chase through Paris was impressive...did NOT look CGI or staged like many others. The ending was about as confusing as the ending of 2001, A Space Odyssey.
August 10th, 2014 at 5:46:26 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Evenbob
But that's modern life. As an adult you
can live a fantasy life if you want. 91mil
able bodied people are unemployed
in this country now, living off the govt
tit, or with their parents or on faked
disability. They live a scaled back life
of sleeping till noon and watching cable
all day and living on the internet. Just make
up your life as you go along.

That's nice. What does this have to do with the movie?

Of those 91 million, 36.8 million are 65 or older, and a further 10.8 million between the ages of 16-64 are classified as disabled. When you subtract all of those numbers, you get 42.8 million of men and women not in the labor force and another 4.8 million are between the ages of 16-20; the labor participation rate is 83.9% for males, 70.6% for women. I would assume that women are much lower because they are raising a family.
August 11th, 2014 at 10:39:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: boymimbo

Of those 91 million,

There are 119.4 million employed in the USA. Total population is 318.6 million. About 60 million are 15 or younger and 45 million are 65 or older. So, I think 91 million is a good guess.
August 16th, 2014 at 11:42:05 PM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Just saw Life Of Pi. Kinda starts out slow. The philosophical and spiritual messages in the film are nicely done. But the film is more like Disney than real life. City life in India looks more impoverished and bleak than the clean and beautiful images portrayed in this film. And there are many examples where the special effects are not believable. The scene where the zebra jumps 25 feet from an upper deck of the ship and lands on its side in the suspended lifeboat--the lifeboat would have cracked in two and the zebra would be dead.

This is really a children's movie.
August 17th, 2014 at 12:42:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Greasyjohn
This is really a children's movie.

You figured that out, didja. The CGI tiger should
have been your first clue.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 17th, 2014 at 12:53:03 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
The most obvious answer to the 2001 Apes movie not having a sequel would be personnel most likely Wahlberg. It's a total shame because I wanted to see another. The costumes might have something to do with it. Somehow paying for recognizable actors and not seeing their faces, sounds like a problem for some executives facing salary demands. Like Paco said, sequel was perceived risky perhaps and possibly was.