What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 4th, 2015 at 8:20:33 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Didn't like 'About Schmidt', never saw the whole
thing. I can't remember why. Too maudlin or
something.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 5th, 2015 at 7:13:02 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Didn't like 'About Schmidt', .

As it has been over a decade, I looked at the rotten tomato summary. While their are only 30 rotten reviews out of 200, the bad reviews were scathing. It seems like one of those movies that completely divide people.
March 5th, 2015 at 10:41:36 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: odiousgambit
Just saw “The Descendants”; not sure what made me interested, but once I started I went ‘uh-oh’ - not for me - I was thinking I couldn’t relate to the movie.

Something drew me back to it, and I was glad. I finally realized it was because it has elements of “About Schmidt”. In other words, a different kind of comedy, and in fact only partly comedy. Situational, very little of what you would call jokes. The main character just goes through very amusing moments in the midst of real life. But something short of hilarious, not intended to be either.

To any one person, actually, it might not be the least bit funny. It certainly has poignant moments, especially by the end. But if you liked “About Schmidt” I recommend seeing this one too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1033575/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I thought the setting in Hawaii was refreshing. I didn't read the book it is based on, but your comments about the film are dead on. Clooney seemed like an odd choice for the lead, but he seems to enjoy these quirky movies.. Goat Talker, Depression Era Musician, Campy Batman...
March 5th, 2015 at 12:21:05 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
As it has been over a decade, I looked at the rotten tomato summary. While their are only 30 rotten reviews out of 200, the bad reviews were scathing. It seems like one of those movies that completely divide people.

I read the book too, and if the scathing reviews said the movie differed too much from the book, that is correct. Fortunately - IMO - the screenplay was very good with originality that worked. The only similarities were that the main character was sort of forced into retirement and had a daughter who was going to marry someone he didn't like. I read the book after seeing the movie, so that might be a factor for me accepting the changes.

Quote: Ayecarumba
I thought the setting in Hawaii was refreshing. I didn't read the book it is based on, but your comments about the film are dead on. Clooney seemed like an odd choice for the lead, but he seems to enjoy these quirky movies.. Goat Talker, Depression Era Musician, Campy Batman...

While watching I predicted this and then checked it out: it must be a case of realizing a "debut novel" [as wikipedia entry indicates] would make a good movie.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 5th, 2015 at 8:19:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Ayecarumba
Clooney seemed like an odd choice for the lead, ..

Clooney is always an odd choice. He
was OK in the Ocean movies, but is
not very good in most others. He's
just not a very good actor, he always
plays George Clooney. Oh Brother
Where art Thou would have been
great with anybody other than him
in it. Billy Bob Thornton for instance.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 7th, 2015 at 7:13:43 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Just saw Whiplash. Very intense. Kind of linear, but worth seeing.
March 14th, 2015 at 3:46:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Off to Vegas tomorrow so got 4 movies loaded on my tablet for the flight out and back.
Fury - I loved WWll movies as a kid, Dirty dozen, Longest Day, Patton
Zeroe Thoreom - Terry gilliam has always been one of my favorite directors, loved Brazil and 12 monkeys
The Equalizer - Denzel kicking butt, loved Training day, Man on fire, Book of Eli
Lucy - Looks entertaining, a female kicking butt instead
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 14th, 2015 at 8:40:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
Zero Theorem - Terry gilliam has always been one of my favorite directors, loved Brazil and 12 monkeys

His directorial efforts seem to have landed him all over the map as far as Rotten Tomatoes ratings.He has some amazingly high ratings, and some pretty bad ones. It's hard to believe it's been four decades.

Even the bad ones have some tidbits that amaze.

98% Brazil 1985
97% Monty Python and the Holy Grail 1975
96% Monty Python's Life of Brian (Screenwriter) 1979
92% The Adventures of Baron Munchausen 1989
91% Time Bandits 1981
90% Monty Python's And Now for Something Completely Different 1972
90% Monty Python's The Meaning of Life 1983
88% Twelve Monkeys (12 Monkeys) 1995
84% The Fisher King 1991
64% The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus 2009
62% Jabberwocky 1977
52% The Zero Theorem 2014
49% Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 1998
38% The Brothers Grimm 2005
29% Tideland 2006
March 14th, 2015 at 9:11:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
good to see Brazil so high, one of my favorites.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 15th, 2015 at 8:03:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The documentary, "Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work (2010)" reveals some surprising things about her. She can be unbelievably phobic and suffers from recurring fears that no one will be interested in her. She also doesn't believe that she is first and foremost a comedian. She believes she is an actress who sometimes plays a comedian. Given that her incredible amount of plastic surgery had removed an actresses greatest physical requirement, the ability to show emotion, it is uncanny.

It makes you wonder if most stars are suffering from sort of mental illness.