What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

August 25th, 2015 at 8:22:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined
I was never a fan of the Man from Uncle.

We LOVED Man from Uncle at our
house. They were so cool, and did
such cool things. Loved I Spy too,
and Get Smart for a few seasons.
It was all during the best years
of the Bond movies, especially
Goldfinger. If you weren't there,
you have no idea what a hit that
movie was. People went back and
saw it again and again. I saw it
3 times, at least.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 25th, 2015 at 8:26:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: terapined
The Prisoner was a masterpiece. (except for the weird ending)
I was a huge fan. Superb writing.

the prisoner was based largely on an actual wartime temporary detention village in scotland....I hated that silly, childish "orange alert" bubble stuff though.
August 26th, 2015 at 2:11:19 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Can't seem to find the time to do some movie reviews I'd like to do, but here is a quickie

Finally, a Vietnam war movie I liked!

Rescue Dawn

To be fair, I am very fickle about war movies. Anymore I can't watch WWII movies for the most part, at least not the ones that are jingoistic etc. My complaints about Vietnam war movies varies, I tend to dislike each of them for different reasons. "The Green Berets"? Forget it. "Apocalypse Now"? Never understood what people liked about that one, smell of napalm in the morning such a clever knee slapper and all that. I never gave "Platoon" a real chance, just don't trust Oliver Stone and what they were going to do with Charlie Sheen and his character. Watched a few minutes and quit. Maybe it's a good movie, can't say.

Anyway, liked Rescue Dawn - but I imagine the critics panned it. Nor is it high on my all-time list. But I liked it. Based on a true POW story, although it is not clear how much was made up and how much was relating facts. It's neither jingoistic or anti-war, sort of in between. Opens up with what I can tell is authentic footage of a napalm+phosphorous bombing of rural farmland along a river. Not villages exactly, but close ... enough that no way today can a reasonable person like what they are seeing [although in its way it is fascinating]. The movie covers the secret bombing of Laos, clearly disapproving. On the other hand, the enemy is shown to be needlessly merciless and cruel. Maybe it is this in-between nature that I liked.

How the first US airman to escape a POW camp in that war went about doing it is a good story. If you too have not found Vietnam war movies to your liking, I recommend trying this one.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 28th, 2015 at 11:45:05 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
You are Number 6.
I am not a number, I am a free man!

It's:

You are... Number 6.

The phrasing is really important. I watched it a bout five years ago. It really held up for me.

I like the Harry Palmer spy stories as well. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy done recently really caught the same sort of -dullness- about spying.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 28th, 2015 at 12:53:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: TheCesspit
It's:

You are... Number 6.

The phrasing is really important. I watched it a bout five years ago. It really held up for me.

I wouldn't mind seeing it remade, with incidental changes to make it slightly more contemporary.

Perhaps with a few additional scripts thrown in. But they need all the people with the right heart and chemistry.

Not sure who I would pick for the lead, but I definitely would want the fierce and wily demeanor determined not to be crushed. It's much different than a Bond persona which is almost relaxed by comparison. McGoohan appears to be in a great game of chess much of the time. In a couple episodes he goes as far as to crush #2s in their own game.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 28th, 2015 at 1:02:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy done recently really caught the same sort of -dullness- about spying.

I thought I would love that movie
because of the cast, and the book
was great. It was soooo crushingly
boring I turned it off after 30min.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 28th, 2015 at 1:11:00 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Evenbob
I thought I would love that movie
because of the cast, and the book
was great. It was soooo crushingly
boring I turned it off after 30min.

I loved it, because it was so slow paced and nuanced. I'd not want every movie to be like that, not at all, but it was great to watch something done that way in a reaction to all the fast-paced whizz bang Hollywood stuff.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 28th, 2015 at 1:50:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
I loved it, because it was so slow paced and nuanced. .

This is from a review, but it's how
I felt:

"Oldman is not acting, rather just staying very still and looking pensive. Hurt's mannerisms are a carbon copy of his role as Sutcliffe in V for Vendetta. Firth is pompous."

These actors are why I watched. I respect
all of them, but they were so boring here
that I couldn't watch.
August 29th, 2015 at 2:19:14 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: odiousgambit
Can't seem to find the time to do some movie reviews I'd like to do, but here is a quickie

Rescue Dawn

To be fair, I am very fickle about war movies. Anymore I can't watch WWII movies for the most part, at least not the ones that are jingoistic etc. My complaints about Vietnam war movies varies, I tend to dislike each of them for different reasons. "The Green Berets"? Forget it. "Apocalypse Now"? Never understood what people liked about that one, smell of napalm in the morning such a clever knee slapper and all that. I never gave "Platoon" a real chance, just don't trust Oliver Stone and what they were going to do with Charlie Sheen and his character. Watched a few minutes and quit. Maybe it's a good movie, can't say.

Anyway, liked Rescue Dawn - but I imagine the critics panned it. Nor is it high on my all-time list. But I liked it. Based on a true POW story, although it is not clear how much was made up and how much was relating facts. It's neither jingoistic or anti-war, sort of in between. Opens up with what I can tell is authentic footage of a napalm+phosphorous bombing of rural farmland along a river. Not villages exactly, but close ... enough that no way today can a reasonable person like what they are seeing [although in its way it is fascinating]. The movie covers the secret bombing of Laos, clearly disapproving. On the other hand, the enemy is shown to be needlessly merciless and cruel. Maybe it is this in-between nature that I liked.

How the first US airman to escape a POW camp in that war went about doing it is a good story. If you too have not found Vietnam war movies to your liking, I recommend trying this one.

this post was changed so that you have to click on the link to see exactly what you would have seen automatically. Why?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 29th, 2015 at 1:06:20 PM permalink
TheCesspit

Rescue Dawn

this post was changed so that you have to click on the link to see exactly what you would have seen automatically. Why?

Link don't work for me...