What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

June 5th, 2016 at 4:22:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I have come to the conclusion that the reason movies and movie theaters persist is that in a theater we can not press the mouse button and turn it off during the boring parts. I've seen so many first halves on Amazon Prime that it is a joke.
June 5th, 2016 at 6:29:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Movie theaters persist because it's an
experience to see a movie that way.
Concession stand goodies, a soft seat,
seeing it on a 1200 sq ft screen with a
bunch of other people. Nothing else
like it. Some IMAX screens are 5000
sq ft.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2016 at 6:48:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Darling Harbour - Sydney, Australia
The 540-seat Darling Harbour IMAX, in one of Sydney's most scenic areas, is the largest IMAX screen in the world at 117.2 feet wide and 96.5 feet high. Its projector requires not one, but two 15,000-watt bulbs, and requires an insane cooling system that "pumps 1,600 cubic metres of air and 36 litres of distilled water through the lamp housing every minute." The sound system is similarly massive: A 15,000-watt digital surround sound system.

117.2' * 96.5' = 11,310 square feet
June 5th, 2016 at 7:46:09 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Darling Harbour - Sydney, Australia

Shoot. I've been to Sydney twice in recent years but didn't know about it. I think I would have gone.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 5th, 2016 at 9:09:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Shoot. I've been to Sydney twice in recent years but didn't know about it. I think I would have gone.

ADULT AUD$35 Booking Fee: A booking fee of $1.95 per ticket applies. (~US$27)

It would be worth it
June 6th, 2016 at 7:04:11 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I love IMAX.

My local theater has one of the fake IMAX screens (aka "lieMAX") and I still see all the new movies that I can on that screen.

For the really big special movies, I'll drive to Dearborn and watch them in the "true" 70 mm IMAX screen at the Henry Ford Museum.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 7th, 2016 at 7:21:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Did anyone see the (rather overhyped) Batman v Superman movie?

It was doing mostly ok until the two heroes met in Batman's arena for a fight. Clark clearly isn't looking for a fight, and instead of clearly stating this he gets into it. Bad form. But what I didn't quite get is why Bruce let up and then finally took the time to listen to him? Just because their mothers share a first name?

That aside, the movie was way too long, took too many twists, and could have used better editing and a tighter script. The overall idea is good, but it leaves the main issue unresolved.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 7th, 2016 at 7:46:15 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Nareed

It was doing mostly ok until the two heroes met in Batman's arena for a fight. Clark clearly isn't looking for a fight, and instead of clearly stating this he gets into it. Bad form. But what I didn't quite get is why Bruce let up and then finally took the time to listen to him? Just because their mothers share a first name?

That aside, the movie was way too long, took too many twists, and could have used better editing and a tighter script. The overall idea is good, but it leaves the main issue unresolved.

I saw it. I was not impressed.

I enjoyed Affleck as Batman, but overall the movie was a mess.

Batman calls off the fight because their moms were both named MARTHAAAAAA?!?!?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 7th, 2016 at 7:56:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: ams288
Batman calls off the fight because their moms were both named MARTHAAAAAA?!?!?

That was when Bruce eased off from his single-minded determination to kill the Kryptonian.

BTW, there's a far better version of Batman acting, sort of, against other super heroes. It's a animated Justice League movie, whose title unfortunately escapes me for the moment. It's too comic-booky to be taken entirely seriously, but the principle makes perfect sense.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 7th, 2016 at 9:17:14 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Nareed

Batman's mother's name was Lara too?