Fishing With Face

Thread Rating:

September 9th, 2019 at 11:36:17 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
A good paparazzi shot can be worth quite a few $$$. (motor money, boat money, vacation money)

But probably the only person worth taking a photo on the set is Emily Blunt. Don't think that will fetch you much.

I'm founder of the Leave Me the F#$% Alone party. It wouldn't be a good look lol.

I don't have that bug, whatever it is that makes folks interested in celebrity. I went to the set yesterday as it's right near my crickin' spot and I was out collecting traps. First thing that caught my attention was the old passenger car (ours are blue and yellow, never saw a red and silver, looked very "50's") with a big ol hole blown out the side, and then I saw the makeup / paint table. All the gear they had set up around it. The loco off screen. Stuff like that. Was kind of interesting the sheer amount of gear they had "f#$%ing everywhere" except the small area that would be on screen. It was like a meth fueled swap meet or an episode of hoarders, just insane amount of gear for what looked to be this small shot. Even not caring about cinema, that stuff is sort of interesting.

The thought to look for Jim Halpert never crossed my mind until your post.

Quote: ChesterDog
Thanks!

I will definitely go to see the movie, although I didn't see "A Quiet Place," parts of which were filmed in Little Falls, NY, a town I frequented as a kid.

Welcome!

Part of me wants to hide something to get it on screen, but I suppose those are just death gasps from the child-that-was.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 9th, 2019 at 11:04:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face

Part of me wants to hide something to get it on screen, but I suppose those are just death gasps from the child-that-was.

They might need some locals as extras. They might need someone to play a dead body.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 18th, 2019 at 6:55:31 PM permalink
Face
Saw a boat sink today. Had to wait for buddy to arrive so launched and sat bobbing in the crick, just sorta checking out the other rigs. Went by them, no problem. Didn't go but a couple hundred feet, shut er down, and floated. Maybe 15min? Boat caught my attention. Snapped a pic to show y'all why getting a slip scares me, as it was sitting a bit low. I see that kinda often, boats sitting lower than I'd be comfortable. Trying to think if it was that low when I just came by. No one's on the dock, no one's on the water. Huh.

Not a minute later and you know what, I'm sure it's listing. Maybe I'm seeing things, but it's low enough to tell someone. It was 2 slips away and only 3 more to the launch, and before I got to the launch, it was sitting on the floor. *BaLOOP*. Went like a rock, haven't even seen intentional scuttles go down that fast. And there was nothing there. No one just left, no traffic banging it around. Just *bloop*.

By the time I gave the report the wipers were wailing away. 3.5hrs later when I came back in it was still sitting there, wiping for all it's worth. Good commercial for ACDelco, anyway. Thought they HAD to insta-pull due to fuel/oil?
September 18th, 2019 at 7:47:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Either the plug was clear out or a heck of a breach.

I believe new ones are supposed to float if completely submerged?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 20th, 2019 at 4:17:25 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
Either the plug was clear out or a heck of a breach.

I believe new ones are supposed to float if completely submerged?

Was a 28' cabin cruiser and only the top half of the bridge was above water. Entire cabin and stern in the murky deep sitting on the floor. I suppose that doesn't mean it won't still float, but it wasn't looking good from there.

Went the next day and they had the boat crane hooked up with the stern pulled out, pumps wailing away for all they're worth. Went deep for about 4 hours and when I returned the owner was there with it trailered. It blew a prop shaft seal. Just blew out while it was sitting there doing nothing and down it went. Guy didn't seem too put out (It's on camera and I got insurance!), but GD, that's gotta be a complete loss. Def a 30yr old boat if not older, cabin cruiser, underwater for a day? The wood, the wires, the foam, the vinyl....
September 20th, 2019 at 5:42:54 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Was a 28' cabin cruiser and only the top half of the bridge was above water. Entire cabin and stern in the murky deep sitting on the floor. I suppose that doesn't mean it won't still float, but it wasn't looking good from there.

Went the next day and they had the boat crane hooked up with the stern pulled out, pumps wailing away for all they're worth. Went deep for about 4 hours and when I returned the owner was there with it trailered. It blew a prop shaft seal. Just blew out while it was sitting there doing nothing and down it went. Guy didn't seem too put out (It's on camera and I got insurance!), but GD, that's gotta be a complete loss. Def a 30yr old boat if not older, cabin cruiser, underwater for a day? The wood, the wires, the foam, the vinyl....
Shaft drive? Sounds like he hadn't changed his shaft packing in a while. That's so much fun.

If it's an old woody, it's probably time to let 'er go. If it's and old glass, it's salvageable, but definitely a labor of love.

Was jus reading my 2 month ole paper from the island. It said now in Ak, even documented vessels will have to pay a 27 dollar per year fee to the state so they can take care of abandoned vessels. Damn, jus another tax. Wonder if I could register in Panama?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 1st, 2019 at 5:03:23 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Face, what kind of fish is this? It was caught last week in Lake Powell.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 1st, 2019 at 5:43:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
generically I'd say "some kind of sunfish" - but that's almost as unhelpful as saying "some kind of insect" when somebody asks you what bug it is he's got there. In other words, there are really a lot of different kinds of sunfish. If you like to catch and eat sunfish, that is a good specimen for that, they tend to not get very big. Locally here in VA where I fish, I can catch loads of Red Breasted Sunfish, which tend to stay frustratingly small.

Sorry to speak before Face who may be more helpful.

For your next live AMA: Just fishing off a dock? who were you fishing with? fish often? eat them?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 1st, 2019 at 9:50:33 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I would guess Bluegill or crappie.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 1st, 2019 at 10:51:36 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Wizard
Face, what kind of fish is this? It was caught last week in Lake Powell.

TL; DR - Specifically, a bluegill. Lepomis macrochirus. Commonly referred to as sunfish, sunnies, or generically as "bream". That's a solid size for any specimen, and would be considered a "tank" or "slab" up here in the cold where they don't grow as fast. Probably 20 more in that tree right behind you. Toss him on a 2/0 hook or slice him into fillets and toss him back out. It's striper season down there, if I'm not mistaken, and if not the channel cats would be happy to give you a run for it =) Or get those other 20 and eat them yourself. Despite their ease and abundance, it's one of the best eatin' fish that freshwater offers.

God, what a beautiful place. I need to stop being such a hermit.

For the thread / OG - how to identify sunfish...
Color
Mouth size relative to body
Upper jaw in relation to eye
Pectoral fin

Color bright - bluegill, pumpkinseed, long ear
Color dull - red ear, red spotted, orange spotted, green, warmouth

Mouth size small - bluegill, pumpkinseed, long ear, red ear, red spotted
Mouth size large - orange spotted, green, warmouth

Upper jaw ends at or before eye - pumpkinseed, red ear, bluegill, warmouth
upper jaw extends to middle of eye or further - red spotted, orange spotted, long ear, green

Pectoral fin folded forward does not reach eye - red spotted, long ear, green, warmouth
Pectoral fin folded forward reaches or passes eye - red ear, bluegill, pumpkinseed, orange spotted

You can continue on getting into differences in shape and margin color of their opercular flap and carry right into all the different hybridizations, but the above already is well more than enough to ID any sunfish in the lower 48, even in pics such as this where you can't see mouth size or if any of the colors are iridescent. Bright ass color, big ol pecs, and a definitive dorsal dot. That's 100% a bluegill.