Fishing With Face

Page 52 of 52« First<49505152
October 26th, 2019 at 5:01:51 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
This kid. It's beyond coincident at this point...

Quote: Face
We have found the answer: Walleye or pike?

With a nod to Schrödinger, the answer is yes.

Turns out I was wrong...

I said pike because that's all I've seen. But that's no pike...

It's a goddamn tiger musky. "Fish of 10,000 casts" and it took him 10 -_-

Unreal. Guess I better start looking for a home. Much as I'd love it, they sure as hell can't stay here...

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 7th, 2019 at 6:32:06 PM permalink
Face
Administrator
Threads: 61
It's almost indoor season for FWF, so I'm gonna give breeding a shot this year. I suppose it's mostly something to keep the mind busy, but the goal here is be my own feeder supplier. At the height of summer I went crickin' every single day with catches of 20 - 90 and still never built up a surplus. Perhaps, much like the glut of frog eggs give me a reprieve, I can keep a cycle of home grown fry going to spare me some free time. Here's hoping anyway.

My secondary pet store is pretty cool, if not weird as hell. It's a feed and tack store, it just happens to have the best selection of exotics around. Silver and marbled gar, some sort of dragon eel lookin thing, patriot crabs, had a 16" clown knifefish for only $16. They even had a freshwater ray that took a lot of internal dialog to pull away from, not that the $230 price tag didn't help =) But I was there for goldies, and it's about the only place that has them at sexual maturity. I had planned on going full comet as their growth and size fits my bill the best, but supply forced a compromise and I came out with a bit of a mixed bag...

These are all the same fish. In the back there are two fantail (one red one calico), and frontside there's two comets and a shubunkin, but every one of these are Carassius auratus. This means they can all interbreed and produce viable offspring, the only question is wtf is it going to look like. There's not a way to sex nonbreeding fish and I failed at trying to math my way to success, so I figured 5 coin flips would be Good Enough to ensure I got at least one male and one female, hence my 5 beauties here. If anyone wants to explain that 10 grade math concept, I'd hear it as it may save me money in the future =p But assuming I got at least one of each, they're pretty much good to go right now. That middle comet is about the smallest at 5" and the shubunkin is about a tick over 8"; there's nothing to do but get started.

Most of this should be about as easy as breeding goldfish. The problem with most garden goldies isn't getting them to breed but getting them to stop, so I don't have too many worries. It looks like my first and one of my only hurdles is preventing shock. Fish work off light and temp much like, well, every other living thing, so to start the process I gotta drop them to <50*F and <8hrs of daylight and keep them there for a month. So long as I can prevent shock, this should be easy thanks to a NY November; I've already got a cycled tank churning away in the garage. Keep 'em in this state long enough and they go into winter mode. Once a month is up, bring em back inside into the warmth and light. They think it's spring, get fertile, and start spraying. This is hurdle #2 - notice when it happens. Should be easy as they lay in sticky mats, but these are stupid goldfish. If you don't catch it right away, they'll turn right around and eat the whole clutch out from under you and you just wasted 6 weeks.

Once laid there's just one more hurdle - tiny feeding. The eggs'll hatch in a week and they'll live of the sac for a day or two, but then their mouths will form and they'll need to eat. Not entirely sure which way to go with this. The "official" way is to also breed brine shrimp. Those are sea monkeys, ain't they? Breed a bunch of those and the fish take right to em. The other way involves some sort of egg and oatmeal paste, but that'll take some attention to prevent water poisoning. I dunno, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Once at that point, it should just be another month until they're "feeder size" (in quotes because they're way smaller than what I use as feeders lol). That's the size I been throwing in by the hundred every week in the spring and late fall when my crick supply runs dry. So roughly 2 - 3 months from freeze to feeders. I've no idea how many viable feeders I'll end up with, but I gotta figure worst case I'll be starting with thousands of fry, if not tens of. Maybe if I could get a good dump, a thousand + instead of the 50-70-100 at a time, I can overwhelm the predation. Maybe let some last in there, grow even more. Highly doubt it'll ever go self sustaining, but this just might work to cut a good percentage of my crickin' trips down. And will be fun in winter to boot =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 7th, 2019 at 7:53:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 139
sea monkeys!

Takes me back to studying those comic book ads.
Trump Doctrine-Abandon loyal ally and make pathetic excuses why they weren't worthy
Page 52 of 52« First<49505152