Malaysian Jet

April 9th, 2014 at 9:27:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I think for such a bet the one betting on survivors should pay up after a month or so. However, if a survivor ever bubbles up, the one betting the other way should refund the amount paid, plus honor the 200 to 1 odds, or whatever the bet is.

Regarding ransom, it is my understanding of US policy, at least since Reagan, that we don't bargain with terrorists. I think if the president were kidnapped we would attempt a rescue mission and if that failed, then that is why we have a vice president.

Probably before Reagan, remember we didn't bargain with the Iranian terrorists that took our embassy, not until the end anyways.

IIRC the biggest single person in danger and needed to be rescued was Nixon somewhere in Central America, the rescue mission dubbed "Operation Poor Richard" but not sure how much of it happened or much about it. I think it was during JFK or LBJ. Someone a few years older please help me here.

As to the bet, I'd say 1-6 months then it is settled forever. Always some crank who may claim to be a survivor years later.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2014 at 10:10:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Probably before Reagan, remember we didn't bargain with the Iranian terrorists that took our embassy, not until the end anyways.

It doesn't have to be a political figure. The largest ransoms in today's dollars were 2 in Argentina in 1974, and 2 in Hong Kong in 1996-97 (both same kidnapper).

I am simply saying that ransom demands in the hundreds of millions of dollars have been made in the past. I used the example of British government officials and royals to indicate that not every VIP is in a private jet.

Walter Kwok
Ransomed for nearly $77 million in 1997.
Equivalent to $110 million today.
The son of one of China's richest businessmen,
Kwok was kidnapped by the notorious gangster known as the Big Spender.
Victor Li
Ransomed for $134 million in 1996.
Equivalent to $197 million today.
Victor Li, son of the Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka Shing,
was kidnapped by—you guessed it—"Big Spender"
Cheung Chi Keung.
The gangster who kidnapped him would be arrested and executed in 2000.

Victor Samuelson
Ransomed for $14.2 million in 1974.
Equivalent to $69.4 million today.
Esso Argentina refinery manager Victor Samuelson from Marxist rebels
Jorge and Juan Born
Ransomed for $60 million in 1974.
Equivalent to $293 million today.
Wealthy Argentine grain traders and brothers Jorge and Juan Born were
kidnapped by the far-left terrorist group Montonerros.
April 9th, 2014 at 11:06:24 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Steve Wynn paid a big ransom when one of his daughters was kidnapped. I'm sure Paco knows the details.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 9th, 2014 at 11:31:28 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Chinese ship was probably listening to itself. Reports indicate there was another pinger on board and just a bit of moisture can set it off. Doesn't clarify why there was a pinger on board but there hasn't been a great deal of detailed info to support many of the statement coming from the search activities. In any case, not best practice to have a pinger near to where you are listening. Also debunked the hand held audiophone as being for shallow water only, not the three miles of depth in that area.

\frustration on/off switch not operating\
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
April 9th, 2014 at 11:33:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Steve Wynn paid a big ransom when one of his daughters was kidnapped. I'm sure Paco knows the details.

Is that the one where the kidnappers were caught buying a new car for cash a few days later and the subject of an in-joke about the same in "Ocean's 11?"
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2014 at 4:24:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin

I did read about it. I know that afterwards they built that giant mansion in the middle of the golf course so that they would be totally protected. They used to live in that fancy gated neighborhood in southern Summerlin,
April 9th, 2014 at 4:33:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
http://articles.latimes.com/1994-05-05/news/mn-54241_1_spyro-kemble
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 9th, 2014 at 10:31:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Her kidnapping made the Spanish Trails golf course and home development famous. She was kidnapped there. She may have lived there on her own. You would think that the kidnapping would scare some people, but a few years later the brother of the Sultan of Brunei, Prince Jefri, built his compound at 99 Spanish Gate Dr 89113 (29 beds, 40 baths, 100,000 sq ft , 16 acres).

Prince Jefri was greedy beyond anyone's imagination. This home was not even his only one in Las Vegas. He was accused of embezzling $15 billion. He married 5 women (but is divorced twice) and has 18 children, and may have kept a group of up to 40 women for his pleasure.
April 10th, 2014 at 12:47:34 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The prince is a piece of work.

"In accordance with the settlement agreement signed in 2000, the prince began to return his assets to the state, including more than 500 properties, both in Brunei and abroad, more than 2,000 cars, 100 paintings, five boats, and nine aircraft. In 2001 ten thousand lots of Prince Jefri’s possessions went to auction"

2000 cars? This guy is in trouble everywhere.
Greed personified..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 10th, 2014 at 7:23:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If someone were alone and locked in the cockpit could a knowledgeable person do enough damage to make the plane un-flyable without actually causing it to crash?

I'm speculating one crew member killed the other, set a course, destroyed navigation devices or other important controls, then committed suicide. (you can hang yourself in a jail cell, so shouldn't be impossible in a cockpit.)

Eventually people broke into the cockpit but there was nothing they could do.

I assume crew members would have access to a small toolkit which could be used for destructive purposes, But anything heavy or used as a lever and fulcrum could damage things.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?