Original Sin?

May 26th, 2015 at 6:20:59 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
The only ones who say to hell with science are those who propose things like multi-verses or other crazy ideas[..]

Shush! The story I'm working on depends on the existence of parallel universes. Without it, the story ends with a crewman saying "Oops! You didn't come up. Let me try again. Ah, that did it. Welcome back Dr. Brook. Was your preliminary landing expedition fruitful?"

Who wants to read that?

Quote:
Can you point to any scientific evidence that does not point in the direction of a creator for our universe?

Not really, as not all of it is gathered in any one place. But I can say this: all the scientific evidence ever collected.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 26th, 2015 at 7:54:12 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob

Corruption is an opinion, it's not
a physical state of being. I can find ten people
who will say it's not corrupt, it means nothing.

I guarantee you would not be able to find ten people who would disagree with the following statement: The world we live in is full of good, beauty, and love but it is also contains much corruption, evil, and sorrow.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 26th, 2015 at 9:58:41 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Can you point to any scientific evidence that does not point in the direction of a creator for our universe?

Yes, myself and others have pointed this out to you before.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2758745/posts

"During the episode, Hawking talks about experiments in which sub-atomic particles have been observed to appear from nowhere. He feels this is proof that the universe is self-creating, as the Big Bang started out as a particle smaller than an atom."
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 26th, 2015 at 11:36:35 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
Yes, myself and others have pointed this out to you before.

I mentioned this last week and was scoffed
at.

“Because these is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the Universe exists, why we exist” “The question is: is the way the universe began chosen by God for reasons we can’t understand, or was it determined by a law of science. I believe the second,” Hawking writes in The Grand Design.

Science will eventually dispel completely the
god myth, this is why the Church was always
so terrified of it. They had every reason to be..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 26th, 2015 at 6:30:14 PM permalink
FrGamble
Even Hawking seems to realize what he is proposing is akin to a creator God, just an impersonal one who you cannot talk to or love. However, that is not his only problem. These subatomic particles that pop into existence, pop into an already existing universe. It seems strange and a huge reach to notice this strange phenomenon and extrapolate that the entire universe just popped into existence or created itself. Have we ever observed anything else pop into existence? How does Hawkings deal with the problem that in an already existing universe full of atoms and molecules the so called spontaneous creation has something to be created from already? Really this stuff is more science fiction and wishful thinking than serious science. It shows a somewhat desperate attempt to fight against the tide of scientific discoveries leading towards the creation of our universe.

I also want to say that the Church has absolutely no fear of science. The two are meant to work together. From the beginning of the Book of Genesis God encourages mankind to strive to understand the wonderful universe He has made.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 26th, 2015 at 7:16:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It shows a somewhat desperate attempt to fight against the tide of scientific discoveries leading towards the creation of our universe.

Good grief, why would Hawking be desperate,
he has no dog in the race. What does he care. At
one time, when he wrote his time book, he
even thought god might be involved, 25
years later, he doesn't. That's what happens.
new discoveries and god loses again.

Quote:
I also want to say that the Church has absolutely no fear of science.

Yes, that seems to be the new spin:

'Now in 2013, as Pope Francis settles into his new role as leader of the Catholic Church, the Vatican's head of science is urging a re-think of the "mischaracterization" of the relationship between the church and science...The Vatican would like the world to see how much this relationship has changed...The Director of the Vatican's Science and Faith Foundation, which was created last year, thinks that the new pope will continue the progress already made in building ties with the scientific community. "There was a time when theologians thought they understood everything, but we learned the lesson from history."

Learned their lesson, did they. Got buried
is what happened. If you can't beat em,
join em, that's the new motto.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 26th, 2015 at 7:32:57 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
You asked for a scientific explaination for the creation of the universe.

I provided an example and an experiment showing how it could have happened.

It isn't my problem if you don't believe it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 26th, 2015 at 7:47:20 PM permalink
FrGamble
I tried to show what I think were some weaknesses in said scientific experiment and I heard nothing.
May 27th, 2015 at 6:54:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Have we ever observed anything else pop into existence?

Have I not told you to look up virtual particles?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 27th, 2015 at 4:44:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
I did look them up and it is very interesting. I don't see how one can go from the so called "spontaneous creation" of these subatomic particles to saying that the universe popped into existence on its own. Outside of these virtual particles have we ever observed a zebra popping into existence?