Original Sin?

Page 472 of 472« First<469470471472
January 19th, 2022 at 9:23:35 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Doesn't this about sum it up?

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 21st, 2022 at 11:52:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Now that the new Space Telescope has pretty much debunked The Big Bang Theory as being totally wrong what does the Catholic Church have to say about this. The Catholic Church loves The Big Bang Theory and has made it part of their religion. Georges Lemaître, Belgian cosmologist, and father of the Big Bang theory, was himself a Catholic priest. This discovery in July is pretty much rocking the world of cosmology. It's keeping scientists up till 3 in the morning worrying that they spent their entire lives basing all their work on a theory that's been debunked. I'd like to know what FrG has to say about this but he never comes here anymore.

My theory has always been the universe has been here forever and will always be here and I'm standing by that. What the new telescope is showing us is not a universe with the beginning it's showing us that the universe seems to go on forever. The exact opposite of what they were expecting. No beginning No End no creator. No god.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 22nd, 2022 at 2:49:49 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
No beginning No End no creator. No god.

You better hope that'e true. If you're wrong, you're condemned to suffer eternity in hell. You've gone out of your way to commit the unforgivable sin, hundreds of times on this forum alone.
August 22nd, 2022 at 3:01:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Tanko
You better hope that'e true. If you're wrong, you're condemned to suffer eternity in hell. You've gone out go your way to commit the unforgivable sin, hundreds of times on this forum alone.

Yawn
You die, you simply cease to exist
God is a fantasy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 22nd, 2022 at 9:20:44 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
No beginning No End no creator. No god.

How can something have always been here, i.e. for an infinite amount of time?

Hard to wrap ones noggin around that concept.

But yeah, the fundamental problem of existence, at least for me, is just that: "How did the matter and energy in the universe come to exist?"
August 22nd, 2022 at 1:12:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Tanko
You better hope that'e true. If you're wrong, you're condemned to suffer eternity in hell. You've gone out of your way to commit the unforgivable sin, hundreds of times on this forum alone.

LOL. Absolutely everything in science points to the universe being morality neutral. It doesn't give a damn one way or the other. If believing in hell makes you sleep better at night good for you. I happen to think the universe is a little more complicated than that. We are trained to think only in terms of beginnings and endings and not in terms of continuation. The sun goes down so the day is over. What's the truth is daytime on Earth is never over it's going 24 hours a day. It's just convenient for us to think it's over because it's over for us. You can apply this to almost anything. We don't really know if there is a true beginning or end to anything. We see the universe and assume it had to come from somewhere. This assumption might be totally wrong. Thinking this way bothers us because that's not how we were trained to think. I have no problem believing the universe has been here forever because to me it makes perfect sense. I also think I have been here forever in one form or another because that also makes perfect sense. We know that you can't destroy anything all you can do is convert it into something else. What makes us think we are totally destroyed when we die. That makes no sense at all.
January 26th, 2023 at 10:27:42 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Quote: FrGamble
This week is the first Sunday in Lent and the first reading from Genesis was about the original sin. What do you all think original sin is or do you even think there is some thing like original sin?

I'll start off by saying that in the Genesis story Eve and Adam eat from the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and therefore the temptation was so that they could be in charge, they could be like God. They wanted to determine for themselves what is good and bad and not have to listen to God; who after original sin they saw as a tyrant or dictator, not a loving father. This is a strong temptation in all of us, we want to be the boss and determine for ourselves and in our own unique circumstances what we think is right or wrong. So all this is to say that for me I think Original Sin is the tendency in all of us to be selfish and make ourselves into the ultimate lawgiver and judge about what is right or wrong (usually based on what's best for me).

FrGamble, here is what I think the story represents:

The Garden represents having access to the Holy Spirit at will.

By disobeying (original sin), our ancestors defaulted to not having access to the Holy Spirit at will.

But there was one loophole, the future Messiah.

◄ Genesis 3:15 ►

The solution to become one again after separation, would be through a virgin female out of a specific genetic line.

That genetic line had to be protected for all virgin females.

Many misinterpreted this as misogyny.

Our ancestors intentionally bred with their cousins.

One line would be the ruling line (Y-DNA) and the other the blood line (mtDNA).

They didn't know which female it would be out of the blood line.

Just that it would be a virgin.

Mary, the Mother of Jesus was the one they were waiting for.

So Jesus allowed us to have access to the Holy Spirit at will, for he bridged the gap.

But it is not default, just possible.

The entire Holy Bible is about this separation and the solution.
April 19th, 2023 at 7:53:30 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Now that the new Space Telescope has pretty much debunked The Big Bang Theory as being totally wrong ...

At the risk of hijacking the thread, can you expand on this. A report on 60 Minutes did not draw this conclusion.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 19th, 2023 at 11:22:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
At the risk of hijacking the thread, can you expand on this. A report on 60 Minutes did not draw this conclusion.

I'd be interested in this also.
Too me that's huge news and I haven't heard anything about this
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 9th, 2023 at 6:38:50 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Evangelical Christian leader Russell Moore revealed this week that many evangelical pastors have become alarmed that their Trump-loving congregants have become so militant that they are even rejecting the teachings of Jesus Christ.

In an interview with NPR, Moore said that multiple pastors had told him disturbing stories about their congregants being upset when they read from the famous "Sermon on the Mount" in which Christ espoused the principles of forgiveness and mercy as central to Christian doctrine.

"Multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — 'turn the other cheek' — [and] to have someone come up after to say, 'Where did you get those liberal talking points?'" Moore revealed. "And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, 'I'm literally quoting Jesus Christ,' the response would not be, 'I apologize.' The response would be, 'Yes, but that doesn't work anymore. That's weak.'"

Quote:
An ordained Baptist minister, Moore served previously as President of the Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission and, before that, as the chief academic officer and dean of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, where he also taught theology and ethics.

Moore was a Fellow at the University of Chicago’s Institute of Politics and currently serves on the board of the Becket Law and as a Senior Fellow with the Trinity Forum in Washington, D.C.

He also hosts the weekly podcast The Russell Moore Show and is co-host of Christianity Today’s weekly news and analysis podcast, The Bulletin.

Russell was President of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention from 2013 to 2021. Prior to that role, Moore served as provost and dean of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky, where he also taught theology and ethics.

A native Mississippian, he and his wife Maria are the parents of five sons. They live in Nashville, where he teaches the Bible regularly at their congregation, Immanuel Church.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 472 of 472« First<469470471472