Original Sin?

Page 470 of 472« First<467468469470471472>
June 4th, 2021 at 11:02:43 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I think we can all agree that these were indeed very bad men who took advantage of an oppurtunity to do henious, sadistic, and evil things.

I would like to think that we could also all agree that the evil of their actions is objectively wrong. There would not be a time, since the beginning of all time, when such abuse of children would ever be considered a right thing. Morality does not evolve, the abuse of children is and always has been evil.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 4th, 2021 at 11:33:58 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Perhaps the saddest thing is it clearly shows the hypocrisy of the priests involved; they took a vow to serve their God and instead chose to serve Satan.

The large number of priests who have been exposed as pedophiles clearly shows that they were / are attracted to the priesthood because of its cloistered ways which sheltered and protected them while allowing them to prey on children.

May they burn forever in hell.
June 4th, 2021 at 11:37:09 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: missedhervee
Perhaps the saddest thing is it clearly shows the hypocrisy of the priests involved; they took a vow to serve their God and instead chose to serve Satan.

The large number of priests who have been exposed as pedophiles clearly shows that they were / are attracted to the priesthood because of its cloistered ways which sheltered and protected them while allowing them to prey on children.

May they burn forever in hell.

That is indeed very, very sad, so tragic and sick.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 4th, 2021 at 12:26:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I think we can all agree that these were indeed very bad men

It goes far beyond the fact these these were 'bad man'. If the same behavior went on in 1900 in the back hills of West Virginia, nobody would be surprised or even that appalled. We expect that kind of ignorant behavior from uneducated hillbillies. What takes this far beyond the fact they were bad men is that they were highly educated men, worldly sophisticated men, men who knew with every inch of their being this was wrong. Yet they did it anyway, with reckless abandon. Used the tremendous power of their position to do whatever they selfishly wanted, with no regard for who they were hurting. We can say the West Virginia Hillbillies we're bad men. Priests who behave in this way are much more then bad men. This is why organized religion it's such a joke. Put on a costume, take a few oaths, and this is supposed to make you somebody special in the eyes of some god. What it really does is makes you somebody special in the eyes of the people you've hoodwinked into joining your religion. Or native children you have forcibly converted to your sham of a religion. How many times have you said here, FrG, that your Church has never forcibly converted anyone. Here is yet another example of them doing it, and then abusing the people they do it to. I suppose now you'll say this is all a lie. That's what you usually say.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 4th, 2021 at 1:03:50 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
You realize that the scanning was done in a graveyard. These were individual graves (not a mass grave as some sources are reporting). The graves were possibly never marked but most of them were likely marked by simple wooden crosses that deteriorated and disappeared over time. Well over half the names are known and recorded. Childhood diseases were rampant in the schools and it is estimated that 40% of the deaths are from TB. Were children abused in the residential schools? - for sure. Was it all or even a majority of the kids no. Much of the reported abuse was corporal punishment which was accepted in all schools at that time. I am sure all the older members here got or know someone who got the strap in school.

The release of this and the news was all scripted for one thing (as AZD likes to say) follow the money. Our hipster PM Justin Trudeau has now promised another 5 Billion to the First Nations. He currently has a minority government in parliament and is trying to get enough support to call an election and win a majority.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 4th, 2021 at 2:26:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
You realize

You have a source for all this or
are you just guessing. If there
is nothing to see here, why was
there an article about it. Why
is your gov't apologising.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 4th, 2021 at 4:09:10 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Here is one of many sources once you get past the headline grabbing crap.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/the-graves-were-never-a-secret-why-so-many-residential-school-cemeteries-remain-unmarked

What do you think happened to white children that died from childhood diseases on the family farm in that era if the farm was remote or family was poor. They would be buried on the farm. If the area they were buried was never registered as a cemetery than the graves of those children are likely now lost. Similar to those that died on trail when travelling to the West.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 4th, 2021 at 5:39:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: kenarman
Here is one of many sources

So the Indians are wronged and White apologists move in to smooth things over. Nothing to see here, move along. They stole that from the US, we've been doing that for a hundred years. We treated the Indians like crap, but hey, everybody was doing it so it must be okay. My great grandpa was born in 1870 and he hated Indians. He would say they are always whining and griping and looking for a handout. And stealing, they would steal anything, he said. He read nothing what western pulp fiction paperbacks. Where the cowboys always won.
June 4th, 2021 at 6:40:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I do admire and respect people who devote themselves entirely to their god and in his name serve humanity.

Very selfless, and quite commendable.
June 5th, 2021 at 10:06:05 AM permalink
FrGamble
First of all Bob I think we should expect everyone regardless of their education or wealth or status to not abuse children. I for one would be surprised and appalled by evil acts committed by anyone, as I think we all should.

Quote: Evenbob
IPriests who behave in this way are much more then bad men. This is why organized religion it's such a joke. Put on a costume, take a few oaths, and this is supposed to make you somebody special in the eyes of some god.

I do not understand the leap in your argument here. It doesn't follow logically. Priest who behave in this way are much more than bad men, agreed. Then you jump to saying, "This why organized religion..." You seem to think that organized religion is the only way people are made to feel special or have some unique status. You also seem to think that any special status automatically leads to these people doing awful things. I think it might be important to point out that organized religion uniquely requires of its leaders to be servants. In Catholicism we are asked to take promises of poverty, chastity, and obedience. We are called to sacrifice in love for others and to serve them in imitation of Our Lord, Jesus. Yes, there are some very bad people who take advantage of this in evil ways; they will be held accountable in this life and certainly the next. However, it is important to note that this is not organized religions fault nor the fault of a unique calling to the priesthood, which is meant to be one of service, sacrifice, and love.
Page 470 of 472« First<467468469470471472>