Spanish Word of the Day

November 27th, 2012 at 9:50:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thanks. I meant punzar, by the way. Pinzar was a mistake.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 27th, 2012 at 10:36:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Next, whether you meant pUnzar or pInzar, it's not the right verb used. Punzar isn't used much to begin with (I'd never come across "pinzar"), and when it is it's almost always in reference to knives. It's also another journalistic pretension, so instead of saying "cuchillo" or something like that, they'll say "arma punzante" or "arma punzo-cortante," <sigh>

Compare to Portuguese punçar, Catalan punxar, Italian ponzare.

I've learned that every time I look up a word's etymology and it is originally French, Catalan, Italian, or Galician instead of directly from Latin then Nareed invariably calls it pretentious.

For example cuchillo comes directly from Latin cultellus.

While nearly every noun in Spanish seems to technically have a related verb, if google doesn't find an image, or there are few references, then Nareed invariably calls it a "dictionary word".

I suppose in English you have the same issue. Words like "very", "verify", and "similar" are common, but verisimilitude has been part of the English language for 4 centuries, but you seldom hear the word used.
November 29th, 2012 at 6:54:50 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 28-11-12
Palabra: Desbocar

Today's SWD means to break the rim of a jar or mug. This makes some sense, since boca means mouth, as if you're breaking the mouth of a container.

However, in the context I found the word it means to drive crazy.

The question for the advanced readers is what does a boca have to do going mad?

Ejemplo time.

Me desboco con este isla. = I'm going crazy on this island.
November 29th, 2012 at 12:42:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
The question for the advanced readers is what does a boca have to do going mad?

I don't think this word is very common. Is you book translated by a Spaniard or someone from Latin America?

My guess is that when the mouth of a pitcher is broken, the liquid tends to run wild all over the place. It must have been a metaphor for losing inhibitions and going crazy. In this TV show (or whatever) they seem to be talking about a "potro" that is running wild. The word "potro" literally means a "young buck", but also seems to be slang for a tough young man (as in this rapper's moniker).
November 29th, 2012 at 1:30:39 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Palabra: Desbocar

The only use I know of, is to refer to a runaway horse. That is literally a horse who is running out of control, either too fast or in random directions.

Quote:
Me desboco con este isla. = I'm going crazy on this island.

I don't think that usage is right. In any case it would be "estA isla."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 29th, 2012 at 1:46:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Is you book translated by a Spaniard or someone from Latin America?

I never know the answer to that question. It seems translators get no respect (ahem).

The book I'm reading now is a translation of Esperanza Rising. The book is about a girl from Mexico, so I would imagine it was translated in Latin American Spanish. As near as I can tell, it is a good translation, done with words people actually say. Here is the whole sentence in question.

English: Was she dreaming? Was this her own imagination gone wild?
Español: ¿No sería que su imaginación se había desbocado?
November 29th, 2012 at 1:56:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
English: Was she dreaming? Was this her own imagination gone wild?
Español: ¿No sería que su imaginación se había desbocado?

Yeah, in this sense, as used, it would mean something more along the lines of "Was her imagination running wild?" or "Was her imagination running away from her?"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 30th, 2012 at 1:25:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I never know the answer to that question. It seems translators get no respect (ahem).

The book I'm reading now is a translation of Esperanza Rising.

I couldn't find a bio of the translator online, so I wrote to the author Pam Muñoz Ryan. She doesn't know the translator or know her background. She said she remembers that the publisher has the translation vetted by a native Mexican speaker.

The author describes her own language skills: I am half Mexican. When I was growing up, I was very fortunate that my grandmother spoke Spanish to me.  I understand it and can read it more fluidly than I speak it, because I don’t have many opportunities to practice. But I get by fairly well.

Was this her own imagination gone wild?
Fue esta su propia imaginación salvaje ido?

The Google machine translation is very literal word by word translation.
November 30th, 2012 at 6:30:34 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
I couldn't find a bio of the translator online, so I wrote to the author Pam Muñoz Ryan.

You certainly went above and beyond the call of duty, again. Thanks for all your hard work!
December 1st, 2012 at 5:28:09 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 1-12-12
Palabra: Sollozar

Today's SWD means to sob. Other related words are llorar = cry and lloriquear = whimper.

Ejemplo time.

No sollozas sobre de la leche derramada. = Don't sob over spilled milk.