Spanish Word of the Day

April 16th, 2015 at 8:59:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
The whole movie was about furious people, who of course tend to use a lot of profanity. It was probably not easy to translate.

Perhaps Nareed can watch the trailer, and make some comments on the Spanish. However, I am willing to bet most of the slang doesn't make the trailer. The trailer has autogenerated subtitles and the computer thinks they are speaking Italian,

this lengthy interview in a talk show has subtitles that don't seem to be auto-generated.
May 7th, 2015 at 9:41:26 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I don't trust dictionaries very far with slang words so let me ask here, what does mecachis mean?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 8th, 2015 at 3:36:46 AM permalink
Pacomartin
http://img.desmotivaciones.es/201011/the_thinking_cat.jpg
http://xjan.cachislamar.com/images/cachis2.jpg

mecachis= interj. U. para expresar extrañeza o enfado.

I agree with you. The dictionary definition is pretty non descriptive. In some photos the character looks surprised, and in others they look irritated.
June 7th, 2015 at 12:23:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quién fuera
Estoy buscando una palabra
En el umbral de tu misterio.
¿Quién fuera Alí Baba?
¿Quién fuera el mítico Simbad?
¿Quién fuera un poderoso sortilegio?
¿Quién fuera encantador?

It was suggested that "¿Quién fuera... " could be translated as "if only i was". But that doesn't sound like a question. The penultimate line wouldn't make much sense either, as you wouldn't say "if only I was a powerful lovespell".
Literally, it seems to mean "who could be" or "whoever could be", but that doesn't make much sense either.

What is the best English translation to these lyrics.
June 7th, 2015 at 9:22:36 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
I don't trust dictionaries very far with slang words so let me ask here, what does mecachis mean?

So what is the answer? Neither Cachis nor Mecachis is translatable by Google and as they say on the internet without pics it didn't happen. Or as I should say on this thread: Without Pics It Did Not Happen, Senor.
June 7th, 2015 at 9:38:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Perhaps a Future Subjunctive tense of some sort?

The difference between if I was King and the much more correct if I were King, but applied to the act of discovery at some time in the future. Not who could be but more who could I discover to be Ali Baba, Simbad or enchanting.
June 8th, 2015 at 7:48:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
It was suggested that "¿Quién fuera... " could be translated as "if only i was".

Poetry and I don't get along well, but that seems right. Except I don't think it should be a question. An alternate translation is "If only I could be," or "If I were."

Quote:
The penultimate line wouldn't make much sense either, as you wouldn't say "if only I was a powerful lovespell".

I recall a certain British royal personage wishing he were a tampon, so....
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 8th, 2015 at 9:14:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Perhaps a Future Subjunctive tense of some sort?

The difference between if I was King and the much more correct if I were King, but applied to the act of discovery at some time in the future. Not who could be but more who could I discover to be Ali Baba, Simbad or enchanting.

It is actually Past Subjunctive tense. As a statement it is fairly straightforward to translate.
Si yo fuera tú, no lo haría. (If I were you, I wouldn’t do it.)

But the lyrics are questions, not statements. To be fair the songwriter is known for being very poetic and his lyrics are obscure even in Spanish. He is from Cuba and often considered the artistic heart of Castro's revolution.
June 24th, 2015 at 12:21:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator

No comment needed.
July 2nd, 2015 at 3:40:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Comments on Jeb's Spanish. Surprisingly, I could follow what he was saying.