Spanish Word of the Day

March 20th, 2016 at 2:37:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: President Obama ✔ ‎@POTUS
¿Que bolá Cuba? Just touched down here, looking forward to meeting and hearing directly from the Cuban people.

¿Que bolá ? Is that a Cuban saying? Does anyone in Mexico or other countries say ¿Que bolá ?
March 20th, 2016 at 10:11:19 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
¿Que bolá ? Is that a Cuban saying? Does anyone in Mexico or other countries say ¿Que bolá ?

I've never that one either. If there was anybody would wouldn't meet with average Joe Cuban, it would be the POTUS.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 20th, 2016 at 10:57:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin

President Obama did a comedy routine with a popular TV star, Panfilo. They both say ¿Que bolá ?
March 21st, 2016 at 7:47:05 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Urban Dictionary says it is a Cuban figure of speech meaning "what's up?" I would be curious to learn more about the etymology.
March 21st, 2016 at 8:17:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
Urban Dictionary says it is a Cuban figure of speech meaning "what's up?" I would be curious to learn more about the etymology.

I saw that urban dictionary definition, and I think that is the phrase they use in President Obama/Panfilo video as a translation. Do Cubans also say ¿Qué pasa? or does that mean something else?

But I also saw this post
http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/104013/what-does-ke-bola-mean

A European translate it as "you have told a lie"
Another says her Mexican friends say it means "what a mess"

I thought maybe the etymology is related to the English phrase "too many balls in the air". Or it may be related to soccer balls or even the weapon.

I was hoping Nareed would chime in, but she is not always helpful with street slang.
March 21st, 2016 at 10:49:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I was hoping Nareed would chime in, but she is not always helpful with street slang.

Less so from a country I never intend to visit.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 21st, 2016 at 11:01:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
¡Hola desde cuba!

The president is keeping his Spanish very short. Fidel is age 89, so I wander if President Obama is going to visit him. Raúl Castro is age 84, but seems to be in better health.

Alberto Granado who makes a brief appearance at the end of Motorcycle Diaries died five years ago.

May 5th, 2016 at 3:40:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

¡Hola desde cuba!

Sorry for the tardy reply, but are you saying you went to Cuba?
May 5th, 2016 at 11:13:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Sorry for the tardy reply, but are you saying you went to Cuba?

I said that President Obama was keeping his Spanish short

Quote: President Obama 21 March
·
¡Hola desde Cuba! Michelle, the girls, and I are here in Havana on our first full day in Cuba. It’s humbling to be the first U.S. president in nearly 90 years to visit a country and a people just 90 miles from our shores.
Like so many Americans, I've only known the isolation that has existed between our two governments. I was born in 1961, the year of the Bay of Pigs invasion. A year later, a Cold War confrontation over Cuba pushed the world as close as it’s ever been to nuclear war. As the decades passed, the mistrust between our governments resulted in heartache for our two peoples, including Cuban Americans, many of whom have endured decades of separation from their homeland and relatives.
I’ve come to Havana to extend the hand of friendship to the Cuban people. I'm here to bury the last vestige of the Cold War in the Americas and to forge a new era of understanding to help improve the daily lives of the Cuban people.
There continue to be real and important differences between our governments, including profound differences on the way to promote safety, security, opportunity, and human rights. But there’s so much Americans and Cubans share -- our cultures and passions, our hopes for the future, not to mention a love of baseball.
So I’m looking forward to meeting and hearing directly from Cubans from all walks of life. And I’m confident that, working together with the Cuban people, our two countries can begin a new journey together that delivers progress for both our peoples.
May 9th, 2016 at 4:37:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Nareed (or Paco), what can you tell us about the Pemex travel club, as seen in this auction?