Spanish Word of the Day

December 9th, 2017 at 5:03:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Haven't you stayed at the Hotel los Aluxes?

It's not possible to stay at a hotel in a city I've never been to.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 9th, 2017 at 7:14:50 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
It's not possible to stay at a hotel in a city I've never been to.

Have you done the whole Myan pyramid tour?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 9th, 2017 at 7:15:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Haven't you stayed at the Hotel los Aluxes?

Did you write about your trip to Merida?

I know there are a handful of nonstops to the USA, but most people drive there from Cancun.
Aeroméxico Connect Atlanta, Miami (ends January 14, 2018)
American Airlines Seasonal: Dallas/Fort Worth
American Eagle Miami
United Airlines Houston-Intercontinental
December 9th, 2017 at 7:16:45 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Did you write about your trip to Merida?

I've never been there.
December 9th, 2017 at 7:25:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I've never been there.

That hotel has an adress of : Calle 60 No. 444 entre 49 y 51, Centro, 97000 Mérida, Yucatán, México.
December 9th, 2017 at 1:04:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Have you done the whole Myan pyramid tour?

Why visit the ruins of a collapsed empire, when I can visit a collapsing empire just a short flight north?
December 9th, 2017 at 1:20:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Have you done the whole Mayan pyramid tour?

The pyramids right outside of Mexico City are of a similar scale as the Mayan pyramids

Cholula is also within about an hours drive of Mexico City.

6. Pyramid of the Sun (1,2 million m³)
The Pyramid of the Sun is the largest building in Teotihuacán and one of the largest Pyramids in Mesoamerica. The name comes from the Aztecs, who visited the city of Teotihuacán centuries after it was abandoned. The pyramid was constructed in two phases. The first construction stage, around 100 AD brought the pyramid to nearly the size it is today. The second round of construction resulted in its completed size of 225 meters (733 feet) across and 75 meters (246 feet) high.

5. Bent Pyramid (1,237 million m³)
The Bent Pyramid located at Dahshur was the second pyramid built by pharaoh Sneferu. Mysteriously, the Egyptian pyramid rises from the desert at an angle of 55 degrees and then suddenly changes to a more gradual angle of 43 degrees. One theory holds that due to the steepness of the original angle the weight to be added above the inner chambers and passageways became too large, forcing the builders to adopt a shallower angle. The base of the pyramid is 188.6 meters (619 ft) and the height 101.1 meters (332 ft).

4. Red Pyramid (1,69 million m³)
Built by Pharaoh Sneferu, the Red Pyramid is the world’s first successful attempt at constructing a true pyramid. The pyramid measures 220 by 220 meters (722 ft) and is 104 meters (341 ft) high. It was the largest pyramid in Egypt until the construction of the Giza pyramids. What really makes the Red Pyramid special today is the lack of crowds that plagues the Giza Plateau and the comparatively unregulated interior access.

3. Great Pyramid of Cholula (1,8 million m³)
The Great Pyramid of Cholula in Mexico appears to be a natural hill topped by a Catholic church. This is the “Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios” which was built by the Spanish in 1594 on the site of a pre-Hispanic temple. According to the Guinness Book of Records, this temple is in fact the largest pyramid ever constructed anywhere in the world, with a total volume estimated at over 4.45 million m³. This is based on a size off 450 by 450 meter (1476×1476 ft) and a height of 66 m (217 ft).

Closer examination of the site reveals a different volume however. The complex consists of several structures built on top of each other, starting from the 3rd century BC until the 9th century AD. The picture below shows a pyramid standing on a huge platform. The base of the pyramid itself is ‘only’ 295 by 270 meters (968 by 886 ft) which gives a much smaller volume, although the Cholulu Pyramid is still the third largest pyramid ever built.

Cholula ModelPhoto by charmedsara
2. Pyramid of Khafre (2,21 million m³)
The Pyramid of Khafre is the second largest pyramid at Giza, after the Great Pyramid built by Khafre’s father Khufu. It appears to be slightly larger however as it is build at a higher elevation. The pyramid has a base length of 215.5 meter (706 ft) and originally rose to a height of 143.5 meter (471 ft) but is now 12 meters shorter. The most distinctive feature of Khafre’s Pyramid is the topmost layer of smooth stones that are the only remaining casing stones on a Giza Pyramid.

1. Great Pyramid of Khufu (2,58 million m³)
The Great Pyramid of Khufu is the oldest and sole remnant of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Over 2 million blocks of stone were used to construct the pyramid, during a 20 year period concluding around 2560 BC. The pyramid is 230 meters (755 ft) in length and an awe-inspiring 139 meters (455 feet) high (originally 146.5 meters or 480.6 ft). So in the end, after reviewing all the biggest pyramids the Great Pyramid of Khufu remains the largest pyramid ever built.
December 9th, 2017 at 2:58:28 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I've been to the Sun and Moon pyramids outside Mexico City. Very worth doing if you're ever there.
December 9th, 2017 at 7:09:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I've been to the Sun and Moon pyramids outside Mexico City. Very worth doing if you're ever there.

Possibly Nareed has been to the ruins closer to Mexico City and has never been to the Yucatan peninsula.

Monte Alban is not a day trip, but it could be a long weekend by bus from Mexico City.
December 10th, 2017 at 7:27:50 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Possibly Nareed has been to the ruins closer to Mexico City and has never been to the Yucatan peninsula.

I've been to Teotihuacan (Sun and Moon pyramids and citadel), Tula, the Big Aztec Temple in downtown Mex City, assorted places nearby, and the anthropology Museum many times. The Maya ruins are near insanely expensive tourist areas.

Quote:
Monte Alban is not a day trip, but it could be a long weekend by bus from Mexico City.

I drove to Oaxaca once. That was once too many times. as impressive as Olmec heads may be, I don't think they're worth the expense of a trip.