Remember When

March 17th, 2015 at 1:42:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
Remember the busy signal when you really needed to get through.

As opposed to today when you get voicemail.

Oh, calling a house, if you're not particular about whom picks up, is easier. The average family now has more phone lines than they used to, if you count cell phones. But getting a hold of a particular person who either 1) talks too much on the cell, 2) ignores calls, or 3) sets it to silent and forgets (among other things) can be a days-long exercise in frustration.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 17th, 2015 at 2:12:28 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Quote: Evenbob
You could actually get an operator and
have her check to see if a line was busy
or off the hook. You could have her
break in on the call and say there was
an emergency. Do they even have operators
anymore? My mom worked an old
switchboard for Ma Bell all thru the 50's.[

First grievance I handled as Shop Steward in the 60's. International operators Center in Lakewood Colorado. Female new hire put on warning status for being chronically almost late. Seriously.
She would sit in hall reading some damn hippie book for10 or 15 minutes, close it , walk thru door to her place at the board, usually plugging in just as the second hand hit 12 at 7AM. Head operator hated her.
March 17th, 2015 at 4:27:50 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Females as typewriters and telephone operators.
Men could not be hired and kept at their stations. Boys could be hired, but would wander away from their stations. Only women were desperate enough to be hired and to remain at their boring stations saying number please all day long.
March 19th, 2015 at 6:23:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Phones have changed so much. We've traded old problems for new ones.

*I find that if you text somebody, you don't know if he will get the message. Often the cell phone makes it confusing to make sure you have seen all the messages, if there is more than one. My cell phone is like that.

*A great irritation to me is that "the cable guy" [or pick your own example] still will have you sit and wait for them all day, never come, and never call. This is totally unacceptable today, since everybody has a cell phone and is constantly in touch. Years ago, it was possible to be 'on the road' and out of touch.

*Well, as a matter of fact, when I was still working I bemoaned the fact that you were constantly in touch with your employer. For the longest time if I needed to I could just get in my car and get away for a while.

*The kids today are so constantly in touch I think they it is causing stunted emotional development. It seems they are so constantly in contact that they can't make decisions on their own. I think they will like it when in the not so distant future 'the man' will know where they are at all times. They seem to feel uncomfortable at the idea they might be able to 'get away'. Horrors!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 19th, 2015 at 6:38:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit

*A great irritation to me is that "the cable guy" [or pick your own example] still will have you sit and wait for them all day, never come, and never call. This is totally unacceptable today, since everybody has a cell phone and is constantly in touch. Years ago, it was possible to be 'on the road' and out of touch.

In Rochester about 13 years ago the phone company tried to pull that on me. Girl said they could not give a time better than 8-5. I laid into her and said I was in a home service business and that was unacceptable and at the least she had to give me morning or afternoon as I worked for a living. It took her a few minutes but by then I was starting to learn some people mean business and some do not get taken serious by how they ask for things.
The President is a fink.
March 19th, 2015 at 8:22:17 AM permalink
buzzardknot
My dad drove a cab for years, until he got cataracts on his eyes. So I might be prejudiced, but I hate the idea of Uber or whatever it's called.
A better answer would be to license taxi drivers for a small fee, not a million dollar medallion. Use the fees to regulate, verify insurance, background checks, etc.
Just waiting for first murder, rape, etc via Uber. Has to happen soon, a sickos playground.
March 19th, 2015 at 8:54:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: buzzardknot
My dad drove a cab for years, until he got cataracts on his eyes. So I might be prejudiced, but I hate the idea of Uber or whatever it's called.
A better answer would be to license taxi drivers for a small fee, not a million dollar medallion. Use the fees to regulate, verify insurance, background checks, etc.
Just waiting for first murder, rape, etc via Uber. Has to happen soon, a sickos playground.

So you are saying that no taxi driver has ever done what you are saying will happen with uber?
The President is a fink.
March 19th, 2015 at 9:23:05 AM permalink
buzzardknot
No I am NOT. Just saying it will happen and guy will be a felon, probably on parole. Somebody who could NEVER get a license to drive a cab. And wait until somebody is critically injured in an accident and UBER driver has no insurance.
March 19th, 2015 at 9:43:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: buzzardknot
No I am NOT. Just saying it will happen and guy will be a felon, probably on parole. Somebody who could NEVER get a license to drive a cab. And wait until somebody is critically injured in an accident and UBER driver has no insurance.

The "no insurance" thing should not happen as uber requires insurance to be on the platform. Many states already require safety inspections as well.

Uber does its own background checks as well.

I get that the cab companies do not want competition. But it is going to be impossible to keep it out. I have been a few places where people talked about using Uber for a ride. Cheaper than a DUI. Cheaper than a cab in most cases I am sure. Faster than a cab. If a cab company was smart they would put up their own app and offer a better service. Instead they are just trying to stop the future. They need to learn from Napster and how it changed the record industry.
The President is a fink.
March 19th, 2015 at 9:54:14 AM permalink
buzzardknot
I still would prefer that individuals could get a license to drive a taxicab and be regulated.

This lady might agree with me.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/28/uber-s-biggest-problem-isn-t-surge-pricing-what-if-it-s-sexual-harassment-by-drivers.html