Remember When

September 16th, 2015 at 2:43:30 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Speaking of bombs. *HI NSA! Nice to see you!

Did anyone not have a bomb threats called in while they were in school?

Not one we ever had was a bomb, but I don't recall hearing anyone caught for it then.

Pretty sure they were all students.

We all walked out into the parking lot as I recall. Same as fire drill, I believe.

Well, pulling the fire alarm was another thing.

I never did it. Anyone here pull one at school as a prank? You probably have exceeded the prosecution liability, but post at your own risk.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 16th, 2015 at 2:58:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Speaking of bombs. *HI NSA! Nice to see you!

We had a rash of them in college. Gulf War going so they took it real serious. One begat many, 3 in 15 minutes at one point.

FBI called in, paper said "don't believe TV about three minutes to trace a call." This was just as caller ID was rolling out.

Dumb broad calls from her dorm. Story goes the cops got there before she hung up the phone. She probably wanted to skip class.

She got prosecuted, not sure if she did time, but I believe she was expelled.

Me? I took it serious when they said it was a criminal offense in HS.
The President is a fink.
September 16th, 2015 at 3:07:08 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
We had one in HS, not that I remember the reason. Maybe it'll come to me later. Pretty sure we were all sent home, as opposed to being made to wait outside for an hour+. It was obviously a hoax.

Nowadays it's just random threats. Writing on a bathroom wall or a note dropped on the floor. Say anything about gun, shoot, or kill, and the whole damn school goes on lock down and kids are sent home. It happened at least three times in area schools immediately following Hook. All were just emo's being emo's.

I've never done it, nor has it even crossed my mind. If I didn't want to go to school, I just didn't go to school.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 16th, 2015 at 3:27:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
When I was in grade school it was the government calling in the threat of nuclear bombs. We all practiced duck and cover under our desks, and then we were all marched home rapidly, with designated leaders, to let everyone know there might be a nuke headed our way.

My how times have changed, now kids have to call in their own threats. Back then the gov was trying to control us with fear, glad that has all changed, [snarc]
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 17th, 2015 at 9:25:37 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
A kid named Johnny Kelso attended My St Joe's high school with me in 1950"s. He got suspended for 12 sticks of dynamite in his locker. His dad was rich and in construction. About 10 years later, I was a Timonium Race Track and lot was full. Went to try and park in Kmart parking lot, but they had an employee walking around with sign you would be towed, if you parked and went to races. Johnny Kelso. Guess his old man finally had enough ?
September 17th, 2015 at 11:01:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I knew one guy who threw fire crackers. everyone in his "friend tribe" did. He tossed one into the back of a truck and some debris caught fire, a neighbor reported him to the cops. Made for an entertaining story when he later applied for bar membership.
September 17th, 2015 at 11:27:11 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Never understood why they have the clock race for tracing a call... because the system knows where the two ends of the call are. Or how else would my words end up in someone else ears, and vice versa.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 17th, 2015 at 11:53:46 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: TheCesspit
Never understood why they have the clock race for tracing a call... because the system knows where the two ends of the call are. Or how else would my words end up in someone else ears, and vice versa.

Guess that could be a remember when.

Quote:
...pre-digital 1970s, telephone switchboards required operators to manually connect circuits, leaving the cops to cool their heels for 10 to 20 minutes while Ma Bell pinpointed the caller's location. That first 60 seconds might only get operators to the first or second switching station, hence the old "Keep him talking, Chief!" gambit.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/can-police-trace-60-second-phone-call-1282.php#ixzz3m1W4PXj7
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 18th, 2015 at 4:34:54 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
I was involved on a trace or two in late 60's, early 70's. Might go thru 4 switching stations . at that time a call from Colorado spring to Denver would start at local company, being routed to downtown so it could be sent up to ATT, routed to Colorado Springs, then down to local company and out to local office. You had to keep them talking so I could find out which of 12 or 24 trunks he was talking on. It was an analog world then.

Once we went digital, piece of cake. Except for the calls I had to handle with some Indian mad at operator, because he got a busy signal on Saturday or Sunday nights. He knew ATT was blocking calls because weekend rates were low. What was happening was with digital, we used out of band signaling. In analog, the switches kept picking trunks along the way, but were usually blocked at last office due to volume in a small town. But you would get a recording from that last office in India.

With digital along came out of band signaling, meaning we has one trunk that handled 100 of switching assignments, and instead of tying up trunks all the way to India and back, Out of band would give a busy signal signal or recording at the local office closest to USA caller.
But the Indians knew that was just a trick HAHA

Speaking of remember when, you would come into a room, someone talking would shush you, cause they were talking long distance.

Worse yet was EvenBob listening to my calls on the party line.
September 18th, 2015 at 5:12:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: buzzardknot

Speaking of remember when, you would come into a room, someone talking would shush you, cause they were talking long distance.

We used to only call evenings and weekends. Only time you called at day rates was when it was an emergency. And "emergency" meant just that, someone in the hospital or dead. Nobody called before 9 or on the weekends. Even in the mid-1990s I had to make a LD call during the day for some kind of school loan thing.Even though by then rates were not as killer as before my mother was going crazy telling me to use an 800 number because some lady at the library said to. She said this at least half a dozen times. I got yelled at for screaming that there was no 800 number and I didn't need some woman at the library to tell me to use them.

Crazy times.
The President is a fink.