Airport reviews

Page 27 of 29« First<242526272829>
December 18th, 2016 at 1:54:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Ever go to a Starbuck's recently? You get asked twenty million questions about caf or decaf, hand picked or not, east side of the mountains or west, tall or super tall (each of which is very short), room for cream? Syrup upsale or not? For here or to go?...

You know it might be that travelers just are getting to the point where they are going to start viewing the airlines as worse than Starbucks. Fortunately secretaries and travel-departments are the ones that usually deal with airline agents and computer sites.

Businessmen travel light for speed and because documents are either on their laptop or in their attache case; housewives on vacation lug half their wardrobe with them.

The speed of the overall process is what matters. Loading and unloading planes takes "x minutes" as does transit to any intra-airport location. Sure you can speed up certain segments such as Screening Bypass and shuttles and carry-on stowage, but if you increase the time or the annoyance factor for some it doesn't make much difference since that plane ain't taking off until ALL the overhead compartments are closed, locked and inspected.

Seamless speedy operation will get flyers to book an airline, a whole list of options and hurdles will not. So waiving the caffeinated or decaffinated question just won't do much for the overall process.
December 19th, 2016 at 6:32:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I think United will waive this fee for their frequent flyers. It might attract more business flyers since they know that the most frugal traveler will not bring as much into the cabin and boarding and disembarking will only go faster.

It will be interesting to now how the rules for basic economy mesh with the rules for elite frequent travelers. For instance, elites board earlier than steerage, basic economy boards after steerage.

They could make basic economy ineligible for earning frequent flier miles or status miles, I suppose.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 19th, 2016 at 10:37:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
They could make basic economy ineligible for earning frequent flier miles or status miles, I suppose.

No way! That is one of the best rackets in history. The infrequent flyer takes one trip for work, joins the ff club, and then they book the next several personal trips on the same airline and purchases the credit card, thinking that they can build on one or two business trips for work into a free flight
December 19th, 2016 at 4:40:22 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
No way! That is one of the best rackets in history. The infrequent flyer takes one trip for work, joins the ff club, and then they book the next several personal trips on the same airline and purchases the credit card, thinking that they can build on one or two business trips for work into a free flight

They can. Most just don't know how.
December 23rd, 2016 at 4:58:14 PM permalink
Nareed

I recall near the end, awards on Pan Am were ridiculously easy to get. I think my dad could earn a round-trip MEX-JFK by taking a round-trip MEX-Madrid via JFK. Since he had to travel once a year to Madrid and once or twice to NYC on business, that was a great deal.

There are many travel sites dedicated to milking the miles/points system for travel. I'm sure it works great for the people running that kind of blog, but I'm less sure how it would work for regular people. What little I've read, makes it look like it takes up a great deal of time and effort, almost like holding a part-time job, or what a dedicated person might put into a hobby. The people who write about it, and travel in general (including trip reviews), either for a living or as a major sideline/hobby, naturally can afford to, or want to, put in the time and effort required.

I barely have time to keep up with my personal email. so do the math ;)
December 24th, 2016 at 7:38:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The Airline Deregulation Act was signed into law by President Jimmy Carter on October 24, 1978.

In 1979, Texas International Airlines created the first frequent-flyer program that used mileage tracking to give 'rewards' to its passengers, while in 1980 Western Airlines created its Travel Bank, which ultimately became part of Delta Air Lines' program upon their merger in 1987.

American Airlines' AAdvantage program launched in 1981 as a modification of a never-realized concept from 1979 that would have given special fares to frequent customers. It was quickly followed later that year by programs from United Airlines (Mileage Plus) and Delta Air Lines (SkyMiles), and in 1982 from British Airways (Executive Club).

I think they are a permanent part of the economy today.
December 24th, 2016 at 8:58:16 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
In the 1980's, if you traveled for AT&T, the company got the frequent flyer miles. I doubt any company does that now. I know in the 90's some employees would fly from San Francisco to Anaheim, ( not sure exact 2 California cities). Anyway was faster to drive when you factored in driving to airport, boarding time, etc. But no frequent flyer miles from Hertz.
December 24th, 2016 at 10:31:05 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: buzzardknot
In the 1980's, if you traveled for AT&T, the company got the frequent flyer miles. I doubt any company does that now. I know in the 90's some employees would fly from San Francisco to Anaheim, ( not sure exact 2 California cities). Anyway was faster to drive when you factored in driving to airport, boarding time, etc. But no frequent flyer miles from Hertz.

Even San Jose to Anaheim is 6 hours (366.3 mi) via I-5. I could see the two trips coming close depending on the distance to the airport. I think there are more trips from San Jose airport to Ontario airport today than there were in the 1990.

I know that New York City to Washington DC was roughly 3.5 hours by regular train and under 3 hours by Acela Express. I think the train and shuttle jets split the traffic about 50/50.
December 26th, 2016 at 3:07:43 PM permalink
Nareed
In not entirely unrelated news, the "high speed" train to Toluca is under construction. I saw segments of elevated track bed with huge signs proclaiming the train.

Depending on where the stations are built, it may not be a totally bad idea.
December 26th, 2016 at 4:39:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
In not entirely unrelated news, the "high speed" train to Toluca is under construction. I saw segments of elevated track bed with huge signs proclaiming the train.

I understand it will only go 100 mph. So it is more of high speed commuter rail.
Still, it would have helped the Toluca airport. I am not sure what kind of link there will be between Metepec and the airport.
Page 27 of 29« First<242526272829>