In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 12th, 2021 at 7:26:12 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
Guess you missed the irony. I actually see the whole idea as problematic. For instance why would you want a city full of Muslim taxi drivers who won't drive anyone to the local bars because of their view on consumption of alcohol. Or if the only pharmacist in town won't fill birth control pills because of his beliefs. Or You find out the owners of a motel in the middle of nowhere won't let you stay in his rooms because you're not married to the woman you're with.

It's all fine if you've got plenty of easy alternatives. It's the minority view that isn't protected in such cases.

Btw, I use the word problematic because I don't necessarily see a full reversal as unproblematic either

It's not a problematic idea at all. It's as simple as a business has the right to make rules for being a patron of that business. It's no different than, "No shirt, no shoes, no service," or being a fine dining steakhouse that has some sort of dress code.

The mask thing is also a significantly different question because you're not enforcing a moral position on others, or refusing service out of any sense of morality...even though you have the limited right to do that as well. You're at least claiming it's about safety, so they're maintaining that someone without a mask is negatively impacting the safety of other customers.

Let's look at your specific examples:

1.) I would assume that the taxi drivers would like money, but if they don't want to make money, then they can refuse service to whomever they wish...whether that is some sort of destination-based refusal, or refusal on some other grounds. It also wouldn't be long before a competiting cab service (or equivalent) popped up...or perhaps just 1-2 guys with cars who just did runs to and from bars.

Also, people would eventually figure out just to lie about where they are going and get dropped off near the bar.

2.) This is a bit more nuanced. I don't think a pharmacist should be allowed to refuse (absent legitimate medical reasons such as being contraindicative to something else the patient is taking or the patient just being allergic to it) to fill a doctor's prescription. However, I do believe in a doctor's right to refuse to prescribe such a thing if it conflicts with his/her beliefs. Just go see a different doctor if that's the case.

Ultimately, the doctor who refuses to do such a thing is just costing himself/herself business anyway.

3.) Hotels should undoubtedly have the right to refuse service to anyone they wish and for any reason. There are any number of potential liabilities that can come with renting the wrong person a room. Do I agree with actually refusing on religious grounds? No, because religion is stupid and so are the majority of its adherents...but I'd say they have the right to refuse.

Once again, they're just costing themselves business, so it's their choice.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 12th, 2021 at 7:35:12 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
Super Bowl Ratings Crash to Lowest Level Since 1969, Least Watched Since 2006

Maybe people just did not want to watch a white QB during black history month?

The first hour leading up to the actual game was insufferable.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 12th, 2021 at 7:38:41 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: DRich
Quit applying logic to an internet forum. That's not how forums work.

I legitimately LOL'd. So much so that I felt the need to create a separate post to let you know that.

***Can we get the thank you buttons here one day, please?
February 12th, 2021 at 8:37:42 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Pelosi Banned Congresswoman’s Military Officer Son From Attending Her Swearing-In

Quote:
Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi would not allow Republican New York Rep. Claudia Tenney to have her son present in the gallery for her swearing-in Thursday, Tenney told the Daily Caller.

Congratulations lefties, this is the type of pettiness you voted for.
Let's go Brandon
February 12th, 2021 at 8:41:26 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: fleaswatter
Pelosi Banned Congresswoman’s Military Officer Son From Attending Her Swearing-In

Huh? I don't even know that anyone on here votes in California's 12th Congressional District.
February 12th, 2021 at 9:25:20 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: Mission146

Huh? I don't even know that anyone on here votes in California's 12th Congressional District.

Huh? Really!!!!

Do I really need to explain it to you.
Let's go Brandon
February 12th, 2021 at 9:28:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
It's not a problematic idea at all. It's as simple as a business has the right to make rules for being a patron of that business. It's no different than, "No shirt, no shoes, no service," or being a fine dining steakhouse that has some sort of dress code.

Just because you don't think it is problematic doesn't mean it isn't. I'd consider each situation more than annoying as a customer.

That means I think the solution, whichever you choose, is problematic.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 12th, 2021 at 11:47:26 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Just because you don't think it is problematic doesn't mean it isn't. I'd consider each situation more than annoying as a customer.

That means I think the solution, whichever you choose, is problematic.

Okay, so it's problematic from the customer's perspective? I'll certainly grant that, but I have no idea why the business should care about the customer's perspective when the customer himself/herself is being problematic from their perspective.
February 12th, 2021 at 11:48:00 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

Huh? Really!!!!

Do I really need to explain it to you.

By all means, go ahead.
February 13th, 2021 at 6:01:15 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

After four years of Trumpsters going on about drinking “liberal tears,” this is rich.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman