In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 19th, 2021 at 10:13:39 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
Wasn't there a guy hoarding a bunch of masks and sanitizer last year (with the intent to sell them at an inflated price) who almost got charged?

You buy something for a certain price and then you sell it at a higher price, if you can. That's literally the fundamental concept of retail.

Another thing to be said for that guy was at least he took initiative. What's to stop Home Depot from renting its own trucks (or using ones it already has) and taking generators down there with only a modest markup to cover delivery costs? I tend to agree 100% with you on this one...those generators weren't going to take themselves there.

That’s what some in big pharma argue. If we can sell a life saving drug at 700 times the price why not. i think it was epi pens someone was holding out for a high price. For people who die from allergic reactions.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2021 at 10:17:55 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
It is what I had to work with. Here is a true sad story. I forget the hurricane but after it a guy rented a 28 foot straight truck U-Haul. He cleaned out the generators at his local Home Deopts and drove to the area. Then he sold them at an inflated price. AND GOT ARRESTED!

So nobody got the generators because they were impounded. Really we need 100 more people like him coming from 100 cleaned out Home Depots. Nobody forced anyone to buy a generator.

Did he have a business license to sell in that area? If not, I have no problem with him getting a ticket and being put out of business until he has a license.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 19th, 2021 at 10:30:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
Did he have a business license to sell in that area? If not, I have no problem with him getting a ticket and being put out of business until he has a license.

I view it all as predatory behavior. No reason small businesses shouldn’t be crushed out of existence by predatory pricing either. But the law also prohibits that thankfully.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2021 at 10:36:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Why on earth should you need a business license to sell a few generators? Do you think every craigslist seller needs a business license?
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2021 at 10:39:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Mission146
Wasn't there a guy hoarding a bunch of masks and sanitizer last year (with the intent to sell them at an inflated price) who almost got charged?

You buy something for a certain price and then you sell it at a higher price, if you can. That's literally the fundamental concept of retail.

Another thing to be said for that guy was at least he took initiative. What's to stop Home Depot from renting its own trucks (or using ones it already has) and taking generators down there with only a modest markup to cover delivery costs? I tend to agree 100% with you on this one...those generators weren't going to take themselves there.

Whats to stop THD is just logistics. Probably not worth the hassle and really it is better on a small scale. WMT supposedly has a "hurricane switch" they flip to get storm supplies thru the channel. They should just do it for FEMA.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2021 at 10:47:18 AM permalink
DRich
Why on earth should you need a business license to sell a few generators? Do you think every craigslist seller needs a business license?

If he was selling one or two I would agree with you. Selling 100 units at a couple thousand a piece probably would be against the law. If there is no law, I would agree with you but I am guessing that he needs a business license and tax license to sell those. Probably over $200,000 worth of items he is selling.
February 19th, 2021 at 10:48:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
If he was selling one or two I would agree with you. Selling 100 units at a couple thousand a piece probably would be against the law. If there is no law, I would agree with you but I am guessing that he needs a business license and tax license to sell those. Probably over $200,000 worth of items he is selling.

He had a straight truck with maybe 20 in it. If that is a law it is a stupid law. People are in the dark with no power screw that kind of law.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2021 at 11:26:06 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I am generally a free market kind of guy. I've paid $1,000 for a plane ticket one way from SFO to BUF when I had to go home early for an emergency. The round trip ticket I already had purchased was around $400. There is a bar/restaurant near the Bills stadium that literally pastes number over the prices on game days. If a hot dog is usually $1.95, they tape a 5 over the 1. I stayed at the Orleans once and if I remember correctly paid over $200 a night! (Big fight in town?) Pretty sure it was like $25 during a quieter time. I think Motel 6 was over $100 a night graduation weekend in Columbia, Missouri. Go to StubHub and you will see many multiples for concerts, Giants/Eagles games, etc...

The bottom line is businesses are in business to make money. No one gives a shit if the Motel 6 is empty the next weekend. No one cares if the day after the Bills game they are 1/4 full at the low prices.

I just like laws to be clear, and fair. We are pretty well informed on this forum. If I asked everyone what is the guy who bought the generator from Home Depot
1. Legally allowed to sell the generator for in this emergency? or
2. Should be legally allowed to sell it for?

I have no idea about 1.
As for 2., my answer is NO LIMIT.

Edit.... the above does not apply to monopolies that are made by the government.
February 19th, 2021 at 11:58:31 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Or every seller on ebay?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 19th, 2021 at 12:16:17 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: petroglyph
Or every seller on ebay?

Actually, most things sold on Ebay are from legitimate businesses. Ebay mentioned in one of their 10k's that about 70% of items sold are from their preferred businesses.