In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 22nd, 2021 at 8:29:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Why is Halloween stupid? It's not a religious holiday and having the day of Halloween off would both be good for the kids and create a range of two days (Halloween celebrated or the day before) for Trick or Treating.

Actually it is a religious holiday. It is the Eve of All the Saints. I find it stupid as I never liked dressing up and since the late 1980s it has become a bunch of adults not realizing the dressing up is for children. I was actually happy when the expectation that I would go Trick-or-Treating was no more.

Quote:
I'm not going to make any fans for this take, but aren't Memorial Day and Veterans Day semi-redundant? Another thing about Veterans Day is that Thanksgiving is right around the corner anyway.

No, they are not. Memorial Day is for the dead. Veteran's/Armistice Day is for the living vets. Memorial Day was at first "Decoration Day" when primarily women would decorate the graves of Civil War dead then we decided to have more wars. Armistice Day was to celebrate the peace after WWI and then we had more wars. Veteran's Day was the only holiday moved off the Monday Holiday Act due to it having a significant date.
The President is a fink.
June 22nd, 2021 at 9:03:43 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Maybe get rid of MLK Day and Juneteenth and combine them into one day of the year for black people: Halloween, but rename it "Reparations Day."

Require that all white kids must trick or treat while wearing chains and blackface and that they be herded by whip wielding blacks in white makeup who get to bag snatch and keep all the candy.
June 23rd, 2021 at 11:36:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Big companies are hiring for remote positions that can be performed in any state across the U.S. except one: Colorado.
At issue is a new Colorado law that requires companies with even a few employees in the state to disclose the expected salary or pay range for each open role they advertise, including remote positions
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 23rd, 2021 at 1:13:57 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
I can definitely see changes to the flag in the next 100 years.

In what way?
It has not changed in almost 250 years except for adding stars
What kind of change do you predict
I'm pretty mystified by your take on this
I just dont see it changing. No movement or support from anybody except some has been singer I dont even remember
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 23rd, 2021 at 2:35:10 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
In what way?
It has not changed in almost 250 years except for adding stars
What kind of change do you predict
I'm pretty mystified by your take on this
I just dont see it changing. No movement or support from anybody except some has been singer I dont even remember

I have no ideas on how it will change but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Maybe we will have some more or less states in the next 100 years,
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 23rd, 2021 at 2:55:12 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
I have no ideas on how it will change but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Maybe we will have some more or less states in the next 100 years,

Once the South West is repatriated to Mexico it will have to change.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 23rd, 2021 at 4:39:36 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: kenarman
Once the South West is repatriated to Mexico it will have to change.

Nah, every time we lose a state to Mexico we'll just annex a Canadian province.

The math will even out.
June 24th, 2021 at 4:13:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee

The math will even out.

And more Tim Horton's!
The President is a fink.
June 24th, 2021 at 6:57:38 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: ams288
Didn’t she have like one hit song 20 years ago?

Why do the righties think she can dictate what to do with the US flag? lol

The selective outrage never fails to amaze me.

Righties love to ignore that this is a desecration of the flag under the US Flag Code

June 24th, 2021 at 7:08:13 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: missedhervee

The math will even out.

Annex Canadian provinces?

Nah, we should be preemptively gifting them states. They can have North Dakota. Absolutely no reason for us to have two Dakotas.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman