In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

September 4th, 2015 at 4:26:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit

The speculation seems to be that they will assist Assad in taking on ISIS. It may be that they themselves are speculating about a future US effort to take on ISIS and do not want to *not* have boots on the ground themselves if this develops.

Who knows how alarmed the Pentagon might be?

That is very probable. It also makes the USA think twice because someone else is in the neighborhood. On ISIS I am in favor of just letting them do what they want as long as it stays out of Israel, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait. It has been shown that the American public does not have what it takes to see the fixing of the place. It is not PC to have a long occupation with the world, either. The Brits are far better at occupations than we are, too bad they can't take the lead.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2015 at 12:05:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
LAS VEGAS – The U.S. Air Force is giving an ultimatum to owners of a remote Nevada property that over time has been surrounded by a vast bombing range including the super-secret Area 51.

They're being told to take a $5.2 million "last best offer" for their property by Thursday — or the government will seize it through condemnation.

The owners include descendants of a couple who lost their hardscrabble mining enterprise after the Air Force moved in in the 1940s. Nuclear tests then began in 1951, their mine mill mysteriously exploded in 1954 and they ran out of money to seek reparations from the government in 1959.

Family representatives say they'll reject the deal — at least for now.

Air Force officials are calling it a matter of national security.

Family members say the site is a symbol of their grandparents' and great-grandparents' blood, sweat and tears.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/07/us-air-force-moves-in-surrounds-mine-site-with-nevada-bombing-range-now-wants/?intcmp=trending
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 7th, 2015 at 6:35:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
September 7th, 2015 at 7:56:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Heck, Australia opened a mine and if you don't speak Hindii you don't get a job there...not any job.
September 7th, 2015 at 8:05:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

That's not a story of the problems of illegal immigration.

Those aren't the illegal unskilled border crossers everyone seems to focus on. In fact, I'm sure their paperwork is likely in order.

Here's the story from the NYtimes

Quote:
While families rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and searched for Nemo on clamobiles in the theme parks, these workers monitored computers in industrial buildings nearby, making sure millions of Walt Disney World ticket sales, store purchases and hotel reservations went through without a hitch. Some were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.

Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html?_r=0
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 7th, 2015 at 8:11:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Actually, I would probably argue the biggest threat to American workers is skilled foreign workers working for less and here completely legally.

That the focus is completely misplaced doesn't surprise me though. It's easier to pick on field workers who really are doing jobs few people want.
September 7th, 2015 at 8:13:11 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

That's not a story of the problems of illegal immigration.

Did I say "illegal immigration?" I did not.

I am merely pointing out how our government is importing folks to replace American workers. H1-B has become a complete joke. I knew a guy got one to do clerical work for a local college in NY. He was doing nothing special. You could fill the job he had with a local in less than a week. Yet we are sold a bill of goods that we cannot fill these jobs locally?
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2015 at 8:39:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost."

I'm not a union person at all, but if this
gets widespread, look for an uprise in
unions again. They were started just
because of problems like this. Workers
were at the mercy of the company
they worked for.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 8th, 2015 at 5:24:27 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
"who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost."

I'm not a union person at all, but if this
gets widespread, look for an uprise in
unions again. They were started just
because of problems like this. Workers
were at the mercy of the company
they worked for.

What I want to know is why do we not hear for calls for some kind of Congressional hearings? The abuse in that article, if true, is really a major story. A second-tier POTUS candidate should be vetting it and if true then be all over it.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2015 at 6:34:01 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I may have a different take on all this.

Many fingers will point at Disney. I'm not saying that's not well deserved. But what of our actions?

This guy can cry all he wants about his fam and his status as the only bread winner and all that jazz. I'm not saying it's not a reasonable complaint. But GD man... it's that exact line of thinking that allows s@#$ like this to happen, is it not? The threat of the loss of just three months pay plus severance, which, let's be real, can't be no six figures plus, was enough for this guy to allow himself to be run over. Was enough for him to allow this sort of thing to happen.

"Two dozen of the most highly regarded employees". That's a lot of talent. What if those 20+ people just said "Hey, fuck you and your severance, too" and just left on the spot? 20+ highly technical positions, and now Dis only has ignorant migrants at the wheel. You think that would sting a little? I know how much losing a good guy hurts when it's just a simple, low skill operation. I'd think something like this would be pretty extreme. Extreme enough to make our overlords think twice.

You can call for Congressional hearings all you want. Me, I'd rather stop our thinking that "someone else" is going to be our savior. Real change, the kind that matters, almost always requires pain. Great Things require pain. But we've become so pussified that something as simple a 3 months pay and a four figure severance is "too much to lose".

Pathetic. We want our country back, we gotta take it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.