In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 9th, 2022 at 3:12:26 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
A cop shot a teen eating a burger in a McDonalds parking lot.

the teen is in critical condition fighting for his life.

Really sick

https://i.imgur.com/JT4NNYX.png

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/san-antonio-officer-fired-shooting-teen-sitting-mcdonalds-parking-lot-rcna51196
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
October 9th, 2022 at 4:31:26 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: PotPie

Really sick

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/san-antonio-officer-fired-shooting-teen-sitting-mcdonalds-parking-lot-rcna51196
some thoughts:

* learn to use img=png or jpeg ... but put it in brackets. You can hit 'quote' and see how I did it

* you can clearly see this is not a case for 'Black Lives Matter' so who cares? JK

* "Cantu put the car in reverse with the driver's door still open and backed up ... the officer was hit by the open door." emphasis mine. I'm going to say that this negates the headline's twist on the story by emphasizing "eating a burger". Were you influenced by that? What if the headline was, 'officer shoots driver who ran over him' ?

* I think Mr. Cantu was out of his mind for no good reason

* I think the officer was out of his mind, but I can see the reason. Looks like he should have realized it was kids, which matters.

* Yes, I think it's very tragic, and the policeman was wrong to shoot, should be fired [and was]. I'm not sure he should go to prison.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 9th, 2022 at 4:55:11 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit

Really sick

some thoughts:

* learn to use img=png or jpeg ... but put it in brackets. You can hit 'quote' and see how I did it

* you can clearly see this is not a case for 'Black Lives Matter' so who cares? JK

* "Cantu put the car in reverse with the driver's door still open and backed up ... the officer was hit by the open door." emphasis mine. I'm going to say that this negates the headline's twist on the story by emphasizing "eating a burger". Were you influenced by that? What if the headline was, 'officer shoots driver who ran over him' ?

* I think Mr. Cantu was out of his mind for no good reason

* I think the officer was out of his mind, but I can see the reason. Looks like he should have realized it was kids, which matters.

* Yes, I think it's very tragic, and the policeman was wrong to shoot, should be fired [and was]. I'm not sure he should go to prison.

I read about this before posted here
Tragic escalation from both sides
It was much ado about nothing but both sides escalated the situation.
The cop is more at fault though and should be fired.
As to prison, I have mixed feelings. Would not want to be on that jury.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 9th, 2022 at 5:27:46 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
This is the vid of the incident.
It doesn't look like the officer was hit hard by the vehicle in reverse - it looks like he wasn't close enough - or if he was hit it wasn't a very hard hit.
The teen was trying to flee. Maybe he had some weed in the car.
It looks like the Officer had no good reason to brandish his weapon.
And certainly no reason at all to fire it multiple times.

I
the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
October 9th, 2022 at 6:21:52 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
The use of DPF must be Reasonable, Authorized and Necessary.

This shooting had none of those requirements.

Fortunately, none of those stray rounds hit anyone else in that crowded parking lot.
October 9th, 2022 at 7:50:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
This is the vid of the incident.
It doesn't look like the officer was hit hard by the vehicle in reverse - it looks like he wasn't close enough - or if he was hit it wasn't a very hard hit.
The teen was trying to flee. Maybe he had some weed in the car.
It looks like the Officer had no good reason to brandish his weapon.
And certainly no reason at all to fire it multiple times.

[video not shown]

I
OK, but still it wasn't a matter of shooting someone who dared to eat a burger, was it? What was the headline writer up to here?
October 9th, 2022 at 7:51:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Tanko
Fortunately, none of those stray rounds hit anyone else in that crowded parking lot.
Amen. The passenger may have had a narrow escape, I wonder.
October 9th, 2022 at 8:54:57 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Cop tells you to get out of the car. With the door open you put it into reverse hitting the officer. Trying for a Darwin Award and succeeding!
The above does not mean the officer acted appropriately. I think their training would have him avoid armed conflict once he (the officer) was no longer in imminent physical danger.

What would fill the newspapers if criminals didn’t try and flee from the police?
October 10th, 2022 at 6:18:03 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
A question for the lefties. If the demonstrators in Iran get strong enough to breach the Islamic Consultative Assembly should the protestors be arrested and jailed? If not, why not? How is that any different than Jan 6?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 10th, 2022 at 6:21:47 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
How is that any different than Jan 6?

Well, for starters, it’s in Iran.

I have no other opinions on your false equivalence.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman