In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 4th, 2016 at 3:00:00 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
50-80,000 people evacuated from Fort McMurray, Alberta:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/catastrophic-fort-mcmurray-wildfire-surpasses-10-000-hectares-1.3566310

My friends working up there are safe and out of the city now, though they were stuck on the road last night. Fort Mac has taken a beating in the last year due to the slump in oil prices... it was a much more packed town when the oil price was $100/barrel.

It reminds me of the 2011 Slave Lake fire: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Slave_Lake_wildfire
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
May 4th, 2016 at 3:39:02 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Fleastiff
... High wages in the auto plants and then high wages in all defense plants brought migration to the city but settlement within was probably still by neighborhoods...

This was probably not by the choice of the home buyers. Real Estate agents wouldn't even show minority buyers homes in the majority neighborhoods. propagating de facto housing segregation.
May 5th, 2016 at 9:43:46 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Russian orchestra plays in Palmyra after ISIS destroyed historic city. http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-05-05/russian-orchestra-performs-concert-syrias-palmyra-ruins-recently-held-isis-live-webc#comments

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 5th, 2016 at 11:35:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There was a concert when the Berlin Wall fell.... it was a victory, but what victory is being celebrated when an entire city is destroyed? The victory of Public Relations over riding the truth?
May 5th, 2016 at 11:39:20 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
In this case I believe it is to raise support to rebuild Palmyra, and stick a thumb in Obama's eye?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 5th, 2016 at 11:57:03 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit

Jesus CHRIST. Anyone peep the link Cess provided? There's a time lapse from an airport showing the fire moving in. There's one slide in there that shows the flames, they must be 200'+ high! That doesn't look like anything I have ever seen. It reminds me of a doc I watched on the Tsar Bomb =/
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 5th, 2016 at 12:26:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
Jesus CHRIST. Anyone peep the link Cess provided?

It's the Left Coast. I lived out there
for 7 years, there is always some
kind of natural disaster going on.
Either there's a crushing drought,
or it's raining so much houses are
sliding down hillsides, or something
is burning down, or quakes are
happening every 20 min. You're
appalled at first, but you get used
to it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 5th, 2016 at 1:16:21 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Jesus CHRIST. Anyone peep the link Cess provided? There's a time lapse from an airport showing the fire moving in. There's one slide in there that shows the flames, they must be 200'+ high! That doesn't look like anything I have ever seen. It reminds me of a doc I watched on the Tsar Bomb =/

It's a crazy situation... two years ago, it'd have been even worse as Fort Mac was a oil boom town. It was instead a city sort of wavering, as people were just abandoning the place, house prices had crashed, and unemployment through the roof. Still, they reckon it's in the billion's of dollars worth of damage, and that's still lots of money even in US$.

The fire is worsened by the winds, which are still high, though it looks like it's in the direction away from the town. I don't know what my friends will have lost yet, but whole neighbourhoods are gone. I'm pretty sure they'll be lots of people who won't be back for a long time. If ever.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
May 5th, 2016 at 3:36:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

They are saying it's the biggest fire since the San Francisco earthquake fire. That's 110 years. In damage, or size or something else I'm not sure.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 5th, 2016 at 7:27:08 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Penn State
The Sandusky child molestation case.
Penn State has paid out 60 mil to victims
Penn State is trying to recoup that money from their Insurer
The Insurer balked, no way
So Penn St sued the Insurance Company
The Insurance company is fighting back
Why should they pay when Penn St knew what was going on for decades.
In Court documents - "in 1976, a child allegedly reported to PSU's Head Coach Joseph Paterno that he (the child) was sexually molested by Sandusky "
He knew all along.
What a sicko. Disgusting.
http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/05/court_filing_says_joe_paterno.html#incart_big-photo
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"