In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 28th, 2016 at 3:33:30 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
What a Mess.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 28th, 2016 at 5:38:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
I have been waiting for this for a while now: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/04/28/house-panel-approves-measure-require-women-register-draft.html

Does this not seem odd, when currently we have an all voluntary military? This has absolutely nothing to do with being fair, but I am all for, putting Cheney's, Bush's, Clinton's and Obama's, daughters on the front line of any "conflict" they have gotten us into. Oh, and McCain's daughter as well.

There is no draft, just Selective Services registration. I am for it. If Obama wants to have a legacy of letting women serve in almost all combat jobs, let him have the legacy of them possibly being drafted into them. You may quickly see the feminists crying about this.

Not sure what putting Obama's daughters in some desk job will have an effect on. You do not think children of high ranking pols do real duty, do you?
The President is a fink.
April 28th, 2016 at 5:47:57 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Ever see an article that claimed kids staying
at home till they were almost middle aged
is a boon to parents? That's because most
of the time it isn't. Even when they have
jobs, mom still does most of the cooking
and laundry and housekeeping.

I hated the fact that I had to move back home mid-life due to a financial meltdown. I always did my own laundry and most of my own cooking. I was allowed to stay rent free but put every moment I could to getting on my feet and on my own. Moved out in slow stages but when I did I slept on an air mattress as it was all I had. My parents saw the effort and helped me in some remodeling of the place, but I despised that I had to say I "lived at home." Kids who never even try to leave and are sponges amaze me.

OTOH, I have known of a few who made it all work out. One guy I worked with moved back after a divorce, after a week he did his first load of laundry. He was told by his mother she would break his hands if he ever touched the washing machine again. He said that was that. Another guy I worked with knew three brothers who had their mother living with them. Said she lived free but did all the wash as "her part" of keeping things up. They all loved it. I have run into more than a few mothers and daughters living together, kind of as roommates.

But that is not what the issue is. We are talking about adult "children" who cannot fend for themselves. Some actually marry and live off a spouse, hitting their 30s without any real career going.
The President is a fink.
April 28th, 2016 at 7:19:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Not sure what putting Obama's daughters in some desk job will have an effect on. You do not think children of high ranking pols do real duty, do you?
Careful AZ, you are probably talking about the future Dem candidate for POTUS.

Maybe they will hate money like Chelsea? Pushing a desk is as close as they will ever get to working for a living.

They all seem to retire to some lifestyle of giving advice for big $? http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20150727-editorial-whats-the-younger-barbara-bush-up-to-a-world-of-good.ece or global health care.

It's a good gig if you can get it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 29th, 2016 at 7:59:47 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
In 2003, Dennis Hastert wanted repeat offender child molesters into jail for the rest of their lives.

He didn't get his wish. He will get out in about 15 months.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 29th, 2016 at 11:39:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Dalex64
In 2003, Dennis Hastert wanted repeat offender child molesters into jail for the rest of their lives.

He didn't get his wish. He will get out in about 15 months.

But isnt he going up not for a chestet charge but a financial one?
The President is a fink.
April 29th, 2016 at 12:14:40 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: AZDuffman
But isnt he going up not for a chestet charge but a financial one?

Yes.

Is it typical to make someone register as a sex offender for financial crimes?

Quote:
“I want to apologize to the boys I mistreated,” Hastert said. “They looked (up) at me and I took advantage of them.”
Fardon noted that Hastert would have faced more serious charges for sex abuse had the statutes of limitation for the criminal sexual misconduct not expired years ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/04/27/ex-speaker-dennis-hastert-faces-sentencing-chicago/83584440/
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 1st, 2016 at 11:29:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
PARIS — A Frenchman has flown more than 2 kilometers (over a mile) on a hoverboard in an apparent new world record.

The Guinness World Records reported on its website that 37-year-old Franky Zapata travelled 2,252 meters (7,388 feet) off the French Atlantic coastal town of Sausset-les-Pins on Saturday at a height of 50 meters (165 feet) above the surface of the water.

It said a Guinness World Records official was on hand for the flight and determined that it beat the previous record of 275.9 meters (905 feet) by Canadian Catlin Alexandru Duru last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/05/01/world/europe/ap-eu-france-hoverboard-record.html?_r=0

Well no one said you didn't need to fly boards before you can get to the flying cars.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 3rd, 2016 at 10:30:49 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Old Navy posts a picture of an interracial couple on their Twitter account to advertise a sale
Apparently this picture offended a lot of people.
People are threatening to boycott Old Navy
WTF
What is wrong with people
What is wrong with an interracial couple
I'm the product on an interracial marriage
Nothing wrong with Interracial marriage
Amazed people find this offensive. Wow

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-moms/news/twitters-response-to-old-navy-ad-featuring-interracial-family-is-pretty-terrible-w204759
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 3rd, 2016 at 10:52:30 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
The National Enquirer tabloid found an image of JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald standing near a man who kinda looks a little bit like Ted Cruz's father might have looked 50 years ago.

So when Donald Trump was on Fox News this morning, he made certain to mention that Ted Cruz's father might have been connected to Lee Harvey Oswald. (Obviously, Trump didn't mention that his source was The National Enquirer.)

Quote: Fox News
“His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald's being—you know, shot. I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous,” Trump said. “What is this, right prior to his being shot, and nobody even brings it up. They don't even talk about that. That was reported, and nobody talks about it.” The reality TV star continued: “I mean, what was he doing—what was he doing with Lee Harvey Oswald shortly before the death, before the shooting?”