In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 14th, 2016 at 10:52:53 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Fracking does not cause issues to groundwater nor does it cause huge earthquakes. Many people who are against it are dupes of OPEC. We have been fracking for 50+ years.

I notice your phrasing here: it doesn't cause "huge earthquakes."

Would you say it causes little earthquakes?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 14th, 2016 at 11:47:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: ams288
I notice your phrasing here: it doesn't cause "huge earthquakes."

Would you say it causes little earthquakes?

A 1 on the Richter Scale can barely loosen a tree stump, but it can still be measured and would still be called an "earthquake." Doing anything beneath the surface can of course disturb things. But the anti-fracking crowd makes out that fracking today the movie "Earthquake" tomorrow.

98%+ of fracking "fluid" is water. Most of the rest is sand. I doubt 1 in 10 people against fracking know that.
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2016 at 12:11:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

98%+ of fracking "fluid" is water. Most of the rest is sand. I doubt 1 in 10 people against fracking know that.

It's the anti fracking fantasy movies going
around, people believe every word of them.
Cry themselves to sleep at night. What they
should be worried about is the amount of
styrofoam and floatable plastic being dumped
in the worlds oceans by 3rd world countries
on a daily basis. Something like 2 million
pieces a day. Some cities load all their garbage
onto barges and go out 10 miles and just dump
it. It's a 19th century mentality that will eventually
kill the oceans. That's where most of the
worlds oxygen is made, in case you don't know.

'The ocean is the most powerful force on the planet. It feeds us and all around us. And yet, while it gives us 70% of the oxygen we breathe, we are not protecting it.'
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 14th, 2016 at 2:13:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
It's the anti fracking fantasy movies going
around, people believe every word of them.
Cry themselves to sleep at night.

Some people believe anything. One girl I knew believed that global warming sci-fi in the early 2000s. I can't even remember the way. It was sci-fi, but she thought the world would end. They protest any kind of energy. They think electricity magically comes from the outlet.
The President is a fink.
May 14th, 2016 at 7:23:12 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Carnival Cruiseline getting its PR people working on a 'fall' from the Liberty on a four day cruise from Texas to Mexico.

Damn hard to 'fall' off those ships even if drunk. Video (probably Infra Red) confirms the fall, USCG searching a large swath of ocean. No watch on the video and no alarm system if the IR camera suddenly picks up a large white object falling into the sea, they just play back the video after anyone goes missing or is claimed to have been witnessed going overboard.

33 year old woman depicted as happy in the onboard photos. Cabin in good array now, may have been then too.

No Williamson turn, just search the ship, ask crew to search her cabin and then call the CG and ask them to work a miracle as dehydration and hypothermia take their toll, perhaps aided by a shark or two.

Murder, suicide, accident? I don't know for sure. Doubt anyone ever will. Its the PR version or nothing.
May 14th, 2016 at 7:39:04 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
No Williamson turn,
They don't even turn around up North. You freeze to death before they can figure eight.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 15th, 2016 at 5:56:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
23 year old woman follows GPS directions off boat launch into lake.

I don't know if this is a case of being too tech dependent or just loopy stupid. I did have to scream at my dad once for nearly following the GPS into the wrong way of an exit ramp, so it is probably not confined to one age. However, his driving skills are falling due to Parkinson's, though undiagnosed at the time. But to plunge into the water from a boat ramp?
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2016 at 6:21:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Boat ramp? That is nothing. Some people have driven off cliffs, under low bridges, onto narrow pedestrian only bridges, into vast open desert spaces onto roads that were barely trails. One gps unit is supposed to have told someone to drive across the Atlantic, but I don't know if that is just an exaggeration in the mind of some newspaper reporter.
May 15th, 2016 at 7:48:25 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
onto narrow pedestrian only bridges

Not sure how many places have these but here in town we have what are called "city steps." They are pedestrian steps down a usually rugged hillside to allow people to walk to services or a bus stop in far less distance than a road. Most are >100 years old from initial construction, made before cars in some cases. Always in older parts of town.

Often they have street names and are on maps as steps. Street names presumably for city planning and if the cops need a reference point. Well, you guessed it, often they are a suggested road on GPS! Delivering luggage I had to overcome the little lady repeatedly telling me to use them in an unfamiliar city. I could see a tech-dependent person just freezing up, not knowing how to handle it.

Should be a warning to the people who think autonomous cars are just a few years away.
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2016 at 8:44:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Should be a warning to the people who think autonomous cars are just a few years away.
Autonomous cars are just a few years away. Safe autonomous cars are about a decade away.