In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 15th, 2016 at 9:17:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Autonomous cars are just a few years away. Safe autonomous cars are about a decade away.

I watch "Autoline" daily, and boy are they hype on autonomous cars. I watch it and shake my head at how much over-promising is going on. While I do not deny they are coming, I do foresee huge problems and disappointed consumers. I do not see 100% perfection in my lifetime, i.e., the no-steering wheel pod that rolls all over.
The President is a fink.
May 15th, 2016 at 11:21:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
My wife has a GPS, she would do that. I'd
rather make a Mapquest printout, GPS is
far too irritating. If you can't see because
of fog or other conditions, you shouldn't
be driving anyway. Did she think GPS
could see the road for her?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 15th, 2016 at 12:11:02 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
I watch "Autoline" daily, and boy are they hype on autonomous cars. I watch it and shake my head at how much over-promising is going on. While I do not deny they are coming, I do foresee huge problems and disappointed consumers. I do not see 100% perfection in my lifetime, i.e., the no-steering wheel pod that rolls all over.
When it comes to software think: Chernobyl, Fukishita, three mile island, etc. Think what the sailors aboard a ship in the Falkland War felt when two planes attacked and the computer put their only gun into self test mode. Autonomous? Heck, we already have autonomous drivers: road hypnosis, radio, cell phones, broad beside them, broad they are en route to, gas station, hamburger joint, the screaming kids in the back seat.... a miracle anyone looks at the road now.
May 15th, 2016 at 1:00:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Heck, we already have autonomous drivers: road hypnosis, radio, cell phones, broad beside them, broad they are en route to, gas station, hamburger joint, the screaming kids in the back seat.... a miracle anyone looks at the road now.

Yes, my future autonomous car may drive me into a lake eventually, but at least it won't be smoking, texting, eating a burger and swatting at the rowdy kids in the back of the car the entire drive.

(well, one hopes not anyway)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 15th, 2016 at 1:15:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
swatting at the rowdy kids in the back of the car the entire drive.

A woman actually ran into me while
she was completely twisted around
in her seat swatting her kids. I saw it
coming and couldn't get out of the
way. She was far more concerned about
what her husband would say than she
was about damaging my car or the
potential for danger she put her kids
in by taking her eyes off the road for
10 seconds. Idiot.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 15th, 2016 at 1:33:42 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I was driving once and thought GPS found a short cut for me
I'm thinking great till I saw a sign "Not a Through Road. GPS wrong"
I guess so many people tried this they put up a sign.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 15th, 2016 at 1:47:52 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Wasn't there an episode of The Office where Michael Scott drove into a lake cause he was following the GPS instructions?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 15th, 2016 at 4:36:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/911-Commission-Member-6-Saudi-Officials-Supported-Terror-Attack.html

Lehman who was on the 911 commission is spilling some of the beans.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 15th, 2016 at 5:57:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Idiots complain about weather lady's dress.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/meterorlogist-forced-put-sweater-live-tv-article-1.2637891

It's not enough to glue me to the set for an entire weather report. Maybe I lived in Vegas too long and am jaded.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 15th, 2016 at 8:54:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
The latest issue of Al Qaeda’s online magazine Inspire released Saturday calls on would-be jihadis to undermine the American economy by targeting business leaders and entrepreneurs, according to analysts who monitor web chatter from the jihadist organization.

The newest edition obtained by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) features a cover with the headline “Professional Assassinations” and the subhead “Home Assassinations,” which the depiction of a hooded killer watching an upscale home from the outside.

Additional photos include in the issue include one of Microsoft founder Bill Gates splatted in blood with a pistol nearby. The magazine is published by Al Qaeda’s main affiliate located in Yemen, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

While they kill random people, specific targeting of individuals seems like an even more terrible PR move. I'm really beginning to believe someone might nuke the general area eventually like you would a giant roach nest. At some point people might start looking at the possibility and react much like they did at the killing of Kaddafi. There will be no serious investigation of whether it was justified or legal or a war crime because not enough people will care enough.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/05/16/al-qaeda-magazine-calls-for-targeting-american-business-leaders.html