In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

November 3rd, 2016 at 5:14:33 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine

Of course, as we move downward in age, I become more opposed to self-injury risks. I'm not sure 13 year olds really understand what they are risking in full contact sports.

The latest on Kevin Turner who was only 46 when he passed away
The last 6 years of his life he thought he had ALS
wrong diagnosis.
Instead
The most severe form of CTE which mimics ALS
wow
why so severe
Playing football since he was 5 years old

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patriots/2016/11/03/former-patriot-kevin-turner-died-from-cte-not-als/vdCA0YQQPINV1oHDfy9liP/story.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 3rd, 2016 at 5:29:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I know of a pathologist who recommends boxing in high schools and colleges.

And you can re-read Lay The Favorite if you'd like to hear about a woman who stood her ground in Madison Square Garden against a professional Leftie and got a KO rather than a TKO.
November 3rd, 2016 at 5:46:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I agree with you but it all comes down to semantics and litigation. Who would have believed McDonald's would get sued, and lose, because some dumped coffee in their lap and it was hot? How much information needs to be presented and who determines that?

I hate that case in particular, because I'm a big hot coffee drinker.

Of course nowadays, with all these ice coffee drinks the idea of coffee not being automatically hot could be a better case even though they won it anyway.

And while I have sympathy with the plight of senior citizens who are more likely to have an accident involving not being aware of more obvious risks, I don't want everything based on senior level safety. She was an old lady, as I recall.

$# &*$#(! like some things should be considered hot and might scald you if you drop it in your lap.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 3rd, 2016 at 7:38:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
My biggest complaint about risk is that someone knows the facts. If the risk isn't made clear or hidden I'm vigorously against it.

The NFL tried to hush up findings by a neurologist regarding chronic brain injuries for several years.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 3rd, 2016 at 7:48:42 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Nareed
The NFL tried to hush up findings by a neurologist regarding chronic brain injuries for several years.
The sugar industry destroyed every copy of a book and even paid two hundred dollars for the copper plates (usually sold for two dollars) just so no copy could ever be resurrected.
November 4th, 2016 at 5:25:04 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Reading about a trial where the police officer is accused of killing an unarmed black man
The bombshell from the trial today
The police officer was wearing a confederate flag t-shirt under his uniform
wow

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/ray-tensing-was-wearing-a-confederate-flag-t-shirt-under-uniform-when-he-shot-sam-dubose
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 5th, 2016 at 8:09:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
25-part series on what to do about police:

http://www.nydailynews.com/tags/shaun-king-solutions-for-police-brutality/stories/4

Note it starts in page four and you have to turn back to move forward.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 6th, 2016 at 8:25:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Fleastiff
They are in a fairly high paying profession but always subject to injuries including cummulative impact injuries that are manifested much later.
Look at that player who opted to join the Rangers and got shot by his own side. You can see, they are not always very bright.

Flea, I generally agree with you, and until now have always respected you. I think you crossed the line when it comes to Pat Tillman. Standing up for what you believe in, at great personal sacrifice, should never be denigrated. If we were all as selfless as Pat Tillman the world would be better off.
November 6th, 2016 at 9:31:12 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: SOOPOO
Flea, I generally agree with you, and until now have always respected you. I think you crossed the line when it comes to Pat Tillman. Standing up for what you believe in, at great personal sacrifice, should never be denigrated. If we were all as selfless as Pat Tillman the world would be better off.

Alas, that is like testifying in open court against a gang member whose friends know only ONE law: Payback!

Or a female (and more and more often a male) who joins the military and gets raped only to find out its not a few isolated incidents but an ingrained structure supported at the command level.

Or the naive law and order type who joins the local police only to discover all the crack houses in town are owned by the narcotics squad members and all the cops are ruining the lives of innocent teens by ensnaring them in fake drug buys to get federal matching funds.

There is a difference between standing up for what you believe in and standing up for what you have been duped to believe in.

I still remember when I was a young brat instead of an old curmudgeon: I spoke up at a bookstore's author lecture on Non Fat PAM Cooking. Neither the bookstore employee nor the author could accept that the Zero Fat label was LEGAL but that the substance in reality was extremely high in fat. Their trust levels were simply too high. They had been duped.
November 6th, 2016 at 11:17:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Alas, that is like testifying in open court against a gang member whose friends know only ONE law: Payback!

Or a female (and more and more often a male) who joins the military and gets raped only to find out its not a few isolated incidents but an ingrained structure supported at the command level.

Or the naive law and order type who joins the local police only to discover all the crack houses in town are owned by the narcotics squad members and all the cops are ruining the lives of innocent teens by ensnaring them in fake drug buys to get federal matching funds.

There is a difference between standing up for what you believe in and standing up for what you have been duped to believe in.

I still remember when I was a young brat instead of an old curmudgeon: I spoke up at a bookstore's author lecture on Non Fat PAM Cooking. Neither the bookstore employee nor the author could accept that the Zero Fat label was LEGAL but that the substance in reality was extremely high in fat. Their trust levels were simply too high. They had been duped.

Hard to know what's true sometimes unless you've got your own testing lab.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?