In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 15th, 2017 at 10:40:32 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: AZDuffman

Just another reminder of how it is liberals who want to divide us up among races. History shows one group having another wear symbols of their "status" is not a good thing at all.

The point of their wearing those pins evidently went rocketing over your head. Try not to see everything through a superficial Trumper lens.
February 15th, 2017 at 10:57:29 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Quote: AZDuffman
Because it is a huge fixed cost to have a plant at the ready. No different than any other kind of better price given to a customer with a standing order.

Gee, I knew that. Just saying that's why solar isn't a cost effective option in many areas.
February 15th, 2017 at 11:44:09 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: buzzardknot
Gee, I knew that. Just saying that's why solar isn't a cost effective option in many areas.

The problem is the utility has to generate a baseline profit, and will penalize those trying to conserve to do it. At some point the efficiency of the utilities' purchasing and spending, the profit margin, and especially the cost of the wages and benefits of their employees will come under scrutiny. There will be many unhappy campers when those figures are widely circulated, and the paying public realizes just how much it is costing them to subsidize an inefficient monopoly.
February 15th, 2017 at 11:52:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The big news today is, Aetna has dropped
from covering 15 states down to 4 states
in Obamacare and announced O-care
is in a 'death spiral'. Humana says it's
dropping out entirely and the IRS said
today you no longer have to check the
insurance box on your tax return. This
means no penalties, mandatory healthcare
is over. Obamacare is a dead program,
all that's left is for it to fall over from
it's own weight.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-15/aetna-ceo-says-obamacare-in-a-death-spiral-with-sick-customers
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 15th, 2017 at 11:53:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Missouri allowed a public utility to establish charging stations and charge their rate payers a modest sum for the program.
Kansas forbid a utility to impose any such costs on their ratepayers.

Utility billing seems weird. The first man in Arizona to install solar got cut off by the utility saying you pay us for ALL your electric needs or you get nothing. We protect our monopoly.
Later, co generation became the law.
February 15th, 2017 at 12:16:35 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
The plane must have hit a flying reindeer!*

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/02/15/american-eagle-flight-deer/

*I suppose they could fix the headline, right now it is "American Eagle Flight Strikes Deer Shortly After Taking Off"
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 15th, 2017 at 3:25:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
The plane must have hit a flying reindeer!*

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/02/15/american-eagle-flight-deer/

I suppose they could fix the headline, right now it is "American Eagle Flight Strikes Deer Shortly After Taking Off"

NO need for a headline fix. Once a pilot pulls the yoke back sufficient to raise the weight off the nose gear, the plane has officially taken off even if the pilot immediately puts the nose gear back on the runway and stands on the brakes attempting to stop before he runs out of runway. A relay senses the weight on the nose gear and automatically time stamps the takeoff time on most airliners.

So if a pilot fails to yield right of way to a deer that is crossing the runway and struck that deer with any portion of the plane then the collision did indeed take place after takeoff as long as he rotated even a moment before the collision.
February 15th, 2017 at 3:32:08 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
NO need for a headline fix.

maybe so but for me, for an airplane to "take off", means 'in the air'. I'm thinking for not just me. Enough to make it funny.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 15th, 2017 at 8:32:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Ayecarumba
The problem is the utility has to generate a baseline profit, and will penalize those trying to conserve to do it.
Many of the utility's that I have worked for [ RUS, REA] are non profit agency's, buying electricity from them is a bargain compared to trying to make your own.
Quote:
At some point the efficiency of the utilities' purchasing and spending, the profit margin, and especially the cost of the wages and benefits of their employees will come under scrutiny. There will be many unhappy campers when those figures are widely circulated, and the paying public realizes just how much it is costing them to subsidize an inefficient monopoly.
It is pretty common knowledge what electrical workers and utility workers wages and pay package is. One that I worked for would publish it almost yearly and definitely when it was time to bargain at the end of a contract.

Several utility's who checked into it come up with the figure of 8% of expenses at a utility are for wages. The big expense is right of way. Then there are fixed costs because managers decided to borrow zillions of dollars for projects. Blame it on labor, it is the only cost that is negotiable.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 20th, 2017 at 2:04:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Looks like that dude from Briebert got himself in trouble.

Quote:
(Yiannopoulos) as a self-described "dangerous" provocateur, teetered on the edge of possible disaster Monday after Republican conservatives released clips of videos-with-audio in which he talked about his own past as a teenager who had sex with men and suggested that some young teen boys might be old enough to give consent to such sexual relationships.

The clips were released Sunday on Twitter by The Reagan Battalion, a blog that describes itself as "news, information, commentary, from a conservative perspective."

Yiannopoulos tried on Facebook to defend himself but it didn't matter. He was abruptly dis-invited from speaking at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference starting this week in Washington, according to a tweet from the American Conservative Union chairman Matt Schlapp.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2017/02/20/could-milo-yiannopoulos-now-lose-his-lucrative-book-deal/98156040/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?