In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 9th, 2014 at 8:54:01 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
We're just arguing definitions now, but I do love to argue =)

distinguished - adj - 1. known by many people because of some quality or achievement
2. making someone seem important and worth respect

He checks that box for me, and I certainly admire anyone who puts his own personal safety aside and carries the responsibility to defend those who cannot defend themselves.

Of course, I'm arguing just to argue now. Real talk, I think the term "hero" gets thrown around waaaaaay too much. If asked prior to this convo, I'd not have referred to him as a "hero". However, since we got into it, it is hard to deny him that title based on the definitions supplied.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 9th, 2014 at 10:39:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: boymimbo
They can take my stuff, and they can hurt me. They have no motivation to kill me,\.

Holy crap. Is everybody in Canada this naive? Crackheads
don't use logic, they use the ability to survive at any cost.
Burglars are usually druggies, not the old white men you
see in the home protection commercials. You usually only
get one chance to defend yourself, why be prepared when
you have logic on your side. You may end up dead, but
at least you were logical.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 10th, 2014 at 12:10:26 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
I think cops who get shot and die while having lunch are not heroes. They might have pulled off herioc acts as being a policeman that make them previous heroes, but if, for example, those cops were on the first day of their job, getting shot in the restaurant merely because they were wearing a uniform does not make them heroes.

It's called logic.

No, it's called a "shift". Why is it called a "shift"? Because it has nothing to do with what I had asked you:
Quote:
Anyway, do you think that cops who get shot and die in the line of duty aren't heroes?
Countless cops have died after getting ambushed while trying to save people. According to you, they're not heroes because they accomplished "nothing", right? *facepalm*

Seriously, I can't believe I'm actually having this conversation with somebody.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
June 10th, 2014 at 12:18:35 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Beethoven

I know, it's bizarre. The 'real' world seems to
exist in their minds only. I thank god my dad
was was not like that. Of course, fighting a
war for 4 years in the Pacific might have
had something to do with it.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
How fricking hard is this to understand.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 10th, 2014 at 1:03:59 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
The kid who tackled the Seattle shooter is amazing. He and his family have declined media interviews, and he wants everyone's focus to be on the victims, not him. This is in stark contrast to other people who do good deeds and then try to "cash in" on their 15 minutes of fame.

Then again, the "hero" didn't save 19-year-old Paul Lee, so I guess some people might say he's not a hero after all.

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, Jon Meis released this statement earlier:

(I assume it's OK to post this since it's a statement meant for the public. If not, I will delete and post a link.)
Quote:
To my brothers and sisters at Seattle Pacific University, and my brothers and sisters in Christ throughout the nation and the world,

Words cannot come close to expressing the tragedy that occurred this past week on our campus. Like everyone else, I would hear of these horrible events on the news, but go home knowing that it could never happen to us. On Thursday, my life changed. I was thrown into a life and death situation, and through God’s grace I was able to stop the attacker and walk away unharmed. As I try to return to a normal life in the aftermath of this horrible event, I pray above all things for strength for the victims and their families. While my experience left me in physical shock, I know that many people are dealing with much greater grief than I have experienced, and in honesty I probably would not be able to handle myself right now if I had personally known the victims.

I know that I am being hailed as a hero, and as many people have suggested I find this hard to accept. I am indeed a quiet and private individual; while I have imagined what it would be like to save a life I never believed I would be put in such a situation. It touches me truly and deeply to read online that parents are telling their children about me and telling them that real heroes do exist.

However, what I find most difficult about this situation is the devastating reality that a hero cannot come without tragedy. In the midst of this attention, we cannot ignore that a life was taken from us, ruthlessly and without justification or cause. Others were badly injured, and many more will carry this event with them the rest of their lives. Nonetheless, I would encourage that hate be met with love. When I came face to face with the attacker, God gave me the eyes to see that he was not a faceless monster, but a very sad and troubled young man. While I cannot at this time find it within me to forgive his crime, I truly desire that he will find the grace of God and the forgiveness of our community.

I would like to truly thank the responders who secured the building and the medical staff who looked after myself and those who were injured. After being in this situation myself, it is even harder to imagine what it would be like to have a job where one’s life is willingly put on the line every day. To our police, emergency responders, and armed forces, you have my greatest respect.

I am overwhelmed with the incredible generosity that has been showered upon me. It has been deeply touching to read the comments online and realize that my actions have had such a strikingly widespread effect. Moving forward, I am strongly requesting that any future donations be given to the victims through Seattle Pacific University.

I am grateful for the prayers and support coming from our home city and afar. In these next few days, weeks, and months, please continue to pray for everyone in the Seattle Pacific community. We serve a truly awesome God and I firmly believe that it is through Him alone that we will find the strength to heal from this tragedy.

Jon Meis
Student, Seattle Pacific University
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
June 10th, 2014 at 2:43:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

(Sorry, AZ. The Tea Party can kiss my ass when it comes to the Gadsden =p)

The Tea Party never claimed sole ownership, it adopted it because of what it stands for. The reason I have one on the front of my car.
The President is a fink.
June 10th, 2014 at 2:49:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I said he was courageous, but not a hero. A hero to me is someone who both tries and accomplishes his goal. If a burglar comes into your home and you pull a gun but get shot anyway, are you a hero? No. You're a hero if you shoot the burglar and save your family from injury.

Just like those cops who got shot were not heroes either. They might have been heroes earlier in their career, but they were not heroes simply because they got shot.

The guy who died in Walmart accomplished nothing. He pulled a gun, became an instant target, and died. He didn't stop the shooter. He is courageous, but being courageous does not make a hero.

So, lets see, to you:

--All the firemen who died in the WTC attack are not heroes as they did not accomplish their goal
--The soldiers on D-Day who died on the beach are not heroes because they did not accomplish their goal

Is this what you mean?
The President is a fink.
June 10th, 2014 at 5:24:59 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
but then again, aren't you the guy who believes that burglars who break into your home will never hurt you because they're very moral people who only want your money?? :D

Yes, we had this conversation recently. Later in this thread he says it's OK because not many people die from burglaries and home invasions. I'm convinced, as a lucky guy I give up my M1911A1... F****** NOT!!!
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
June 10th, 2014 at 6:17:49 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
No, it's called a "shift". Why is it called a "shift"? Because it has nothing to do with what I had asked you:Countless cops have died after getting ambushed while trying to save people. According to you, they're not heroes because they accomplished "nothing", right? *facepalm*

Good to see that you and EB are bothered by this. I answered your questions. You attacked my position on buglary in the home.

A cop is not defined as a hero simply because he gets killed while in a pizza joint. Cops are heroes when they perform heroic actions, which most cops do on a regular basis.
June 10th, 2014 at 6:27:02 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: AZDuffman
So, lets see, to you:

--All the firemen who died in the WTC attack are not heroes as they did not accomplish their goal
--The soldiers on D-Day who died on the beach are not heroes because they did not accomplish their goal

Is this what you mean?

Good argument. The firemen who died in the WTC knew that they were getting involved in a very risky situation where they likely would not live. They made the effort to save other's lives knowing that there was a good chance that they would lose their own. Their mission was valiant, so to me, hero. Fundamendalist Muslims who supported 9/11 wouldn't call them heroes.

The Soliders on D-Day collectively were trying to achieve their goal and they are collectively heroes, though there are probably people within that group who killed other friendly soldiers via friendly fire or took actions that was detrimental for the group. But we refer to them collectively as heroes, as once again, they made the effort to save their country knowing that there was a good chance that they would lose their own life. The Germans probably wouldn't call them heroes.

The guy in the Walmart acted alone, didn't know the situation, and made a courageous decision and lost his life and achieved absolutely nothing in the process. Some people will call him a hero because he exercised his second amendment rights to try to stop a crime.

The definition of "hero" is subject to interpretation, and I hope that I've made my point clear. His action was courageous, but ill-timed and ill-thought, and now he's dead.