beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: terapined
That was horrible
So many innocent lives lost
Atrocities on both sides
I have not forgotten this incident
Iran will never ever forget

It's never been determined for sure (to my knowledge) that it wasn't a massive troll of the US.

The plane was filled with the bodies of naked, mostly young, men. That just doesn't happen in the nature of an accident. Many pictures of clothed victims of other shot-down airplanes provide a convincing contrast. The theory was that these were mostly people who died elsewhere and were loaded onto the airplane from a morgue, to provide suitable numbers for international outrage and escalation.

Regardless of whether the US was baited into acting or it was misidentified and otherwise legitimate, it was a huge, regrettable blunder.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 7th, 2017 at 12:18:25 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: beachbumbabs
It's never been determined for sure (to my knowledge) that it wasn't a massive troll of the US.

The plane was filled with the bodies of naked, mostly young, men. That just doesn't happen in the nature of an accident. Many pictures of clothed victims of other shot-down airplanes provide a convincing contrast. The theory was that these were mostly people who died elsewhere and were loaded onto the airplane from a morgue, to provide suitable numbers for international outrage and escalation.

Regardless of whether the US was baited into acting or it was misidentified and otherwise legitimate, it was a huge, regrettable blunder.

I never heard this story about it being an Iran hoax
The link Pet provided was a pretty extensive article that never mentioned what you printed above
I think this hoax thing is a really absurd stretch
Baiting a US warship to shoot down an airliner when the profile is all wrong. Attack jets are small. This is a massive plane.
This just cant be predicted therefore no hoax

Is this being researched by reporters. A hoax on this massive scale should be pretty easy to prove and win a Pulitzer to boot
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 7th, 2017 at 12:24:00 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: SOOPOO
I am truly amazed that there are those who believe that 9/11 was anything other than Radical Islamic Terrorism. Quite pathetic.
What is pathetic is that Seattle graduate student who had a woman walk into the lounge, make a reference to an email he had sent a few months earlier and then provide him with a sandwich that turned out to be drugged. He had previously blabbered unwisely and it was a precautionary drugging because they had no way of knowing he had actually resolved to contact United Airlines and inquire about a Mohammed Atta a few hours earlier. The woman was definitely not wearing a towel, she looked like a Jewish psychologist. He became disoriented and when he went to his home computer to contact a professor about United Airlines his hands literally flew off the keyboard. He had previously cultivated a former Regan Whitehouse official but found he could not bring himself to email her either, not a different professor with contacts in what laughably passes as 'the intelligence community'. Tried to contact a LA Dollar A Year deputy who was former CIA but could not force himself to do it. Lived only five blocks from a state patrol station but found himself strangely unable to dial them. Deranged by an unknown drug and obviously the subject of some post hypnotic suggestion, he was unable to give the warning. Logged into WINS radio in NYC but could not compose a message on their blog page. All of this was NOT the work of Islamic Terrorists, it was the work of the Mossad.
December 7th, 2017 at 12:32:12 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
This was discussion among ATC and pilots at the time, didn't really get out into the public, because some details weren't released or independently verified due to party status to the investigation.

Also: There is not a significant difference between radar targets of a fighter and an airliner. The size of the primary depends on the distance from the center of the radar antenna and the reflectivity of the skin of the aircraft.

Transponder info, if it was available at all, was not necessarily reliable. At the time, radar was not digitized, and if there was no transponder signal (I don't remember, will look at the story you pulled) that American forces could decode, the target would have had to be updated by hand, speed estimated, altitude unknown.

The issue was the flight path, not the size of the target. Prediction would consist of known, scheduled, verified airliners; anything else would be challenged.as suspect. If it were a fighter, AWACS, tanker, or troop transport from Iran, the US would not have advance notice.

I'll quit there, as I was not party to the investigation or findings. But the course of post-accident action the US took was ultimately political and left many questions unanswered.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 7th, 2017 at 12:41:54 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
If I remember correctly I think the plane was squaking on the commercial frequency. My understanding is that the ship was actively engaged with some speedboats that were firing at a plane of ours and the crew panicked when the airliner wasn't identifying on the military frequencies. I believe our government made a large payment to the families of the victims of the flight.

My personal belief is that the crew just screwed up.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 7th, 2017 at 12:42:01 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There was an assertion by the US that the weapons system had picked up a signal from the civilian airliner and also a military fighter. This transponder history made the weapons crew over react to what was clearly a low, slow civil airliner.
December 8th, 2017 at 1:40:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
A Friday and the only real news is
the forged yearbook, which we all
knew was a fake anyway? First
Friday in a long time when it's
been yawner news all day.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 8th, 2017 at 1:58:07 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
A Friday and the only real news is
the forged yearbook, which we all
knew was a fake anyway? First

Day's not over yet. For a while it seemed the big Trump stories all broke at drive time.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 8th, 2017 at 2:42:11 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Quote: JimRockford
Day's not over yet. For a while it seemed the big Trump stories all broke at drive time.

I expect that will happen often, just not today. You have to figure every msm story, they call the subject for comment and fairness, and so the Trump people have some notice something is coming out. Which allows them to time some other tweet, comment, or story to try and suck up as much oxygen as possible in that news cycle. It's happened so often that everyone now expects stories to break in clumps or near-simultaneous.

Squirrel!
December 8th, 2017 at 6:14:41 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
First

Mueller works quietly.

He only drops a Friday bombshell like Flynn's guilty plea when he's ready.

But don't worry, more are coming... :)
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman