In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 19th, 2014 at 2:51:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

Second, as bad as the first is, everything about this just seems wrong. It seems fake. I mean, there's nothing I would love more than for the Gov to make a good faith gesture to my people. But this is not that. This... this is just weird. Where'd it come from? Where was it for my whole life, or indeed the last 80 years?

This is my big question. I have heard people complaining about the name since the 1980s. But why the last 2 or so years has the volume gone up so high? Why the extra push? It is not as if the team has suddenly gotten huge success on the field so more attention is being paid to them. Something more, much more, is at play.

Cynically I say what is at play is the move to ban football. But even that has really fired up the last 2-3 years. Why now?

Quote: Face
No cars, no jobs, no taxes, no cities, no electronics. Just hunting and fishing and farming and f=%÷ing.

I fail to see the improvement brought by the Europeans ;)

Hockey?
The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2014 at 3:58:45 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I'm torn on this issue because I have been a Redskins fan (casually; not like some) since living in Northern Virginia in the 70's. I attended some games in the 90's when I lived in the areas again. I can also see how some might be offended and I respect that, too.

Two thoughts--it seems more like the politically correct have co-opted this issue to get attention. The forced name change will do more to help that kind of people than it ever will to help those who are offended by the name. The former will get another "feather in their cap" for "fixing" a problem; the latter will get squat. Moral victories just don't put much bread on the table.

The second one is this...if those do-gooders (careful...the ones offended are not do-gooders; they are the ones who the right to make a claim whether I like it or not) spent as much time and energy raising funds and actually coming up with programs that helped the Indians (we have done horribly at really helping them because giveaways don't really do anything but make people who accept them more likely to become dependent on handouts) as they do crowing about the name change issue, Indians as a whole (and the country) would be better off.

Harry Reid is a prime example. He is consistently crowing about the Redskin name, but what else has he done for the Indians? He's just another one who jumped on the bandwagon to get some publicity and not really do anything to help.

That's the problem with most do-gooders. They want to do something without really doing anything.
June 19th, 2014 at 4:19:09 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
The libs will simply never get it: illegal means they broke the law. So, the libs fall all over themselves to basically ignore the law. WTF? Why bother with laws if the POTUS is going to enforce the ones he wants and the libs do the same. This isn't good.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
June 19th, 2014 at 5:45:22 AM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: chickenman
The libs will simply never get it: illegal means they broke the law.
+1
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
June 19th, 2014 at 5:56:24 AM permalink
Beethoven
Tea Partier Chris McDaniel’s Mississippi KKK Connection

Are you freakin kidding me, Daily Beast? You guys write a story like this and use a ridiculous headline, yet the only "connection" you can find is that a guy who at one time was a lawyer for a KKK member happened to donate to Chris McDaniel? This is the best you guys can come up with to smear him???

Remember, this is the same media that's ignored Bill Ayers, Bernardine Dohrn, Tony Rezko et al. for over 6 years now. I know that some liberal hacks would chalk this up to an "ethical dissimilarity", but I've got a better explanation: LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS.
June 19th, 2014 at 5:59:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: chickenman
The libs will simply never get it: illegal means they broke the law. So, the libs fall all over themselves to basically ignore the law. WTF? Why bother with laws if the POTUS is going to enforce the ones he wants and the libs do the same. This isn't good.

It is not good at all, we are changing from a nation of laws to a cult of personality where ignoring laws does not matter.

When the USD collapses internationally, and that day is coming, and the 47% cannot be appeased by printing money and giving it to them to buy cheap, imported junk at WMT, at that time things are ripe for breakdown.

Today it is stealing a trademark from an individual. At that time it might well be stealing real property. I can imagine when someone who has too many rental units has them taxed away or forced to sell some other way because to own them "isn't fair." Or more and more regs to farms to make the small ones less viable--I have already heard some do-gooders want to ban the raising of food and livestock on the same farm based on some food fear.
The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2014 at 6:10:27 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Beethoven
Tea Partier Chris McDaniel’s Mississippi KKK Connection

Are you freakin kidding me, Daily Beast? You guys write a story like this and use a ridiculous headline, yet the only "connection" you can find is that a guy who at one time was a lawyer for a KKK member happened to donate to Chris McDaniel? This is the best you guys can come up with to smear him???

Remember, this is the same media that's ignored Bill Ayers, Bernardine Dohrn, Tony Rezko et al. for over 6 years now. I know that some liberal hacks would chalk this up to an "ethical dissimilarity", but I've got a better explanation: LIBERAL MEDIA BIAS.

Don't forget how they conveniently forgot Robert KKK Byrd's sheet-wearing days!!
June 19th, 2014 at 8:40:36 AM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: RonC
Don't forget how they conveniently forgot Robert KKK Byrd's sheet-wearing days!!
+1

Quote: AZDuffman
Today it is stealing a trademark from an individual. At that time it might well be stealing real property.
Yep, and the Kelo decision by SCOTUS already allows for it. America seems intent on destroying itself!! *facepalm*
June 19th, 2014 at 9:23:42 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

This is my big question. I have heard people complaining about the name since the 1980s. But why the last 2 or so years has the volume gone up so high? Why the extra push? It is not as if the team has suddenly gotten huge success on the field so more attention is being paid to them. Something more, much more, is at play.

Cynically I say what is at play is the move to ban football. But even that has really fired up the last 2-3 years. Why now?

It's weird. I can't get passed it. But we'll find out soon enough.

Hockey?

Bah, you got me there. Lacrosse is very similar, but all that running? Pfft. Thanks, European overlords, for the greatest game on Earth ;)

Quote: Evenbob
The vast majority of Indians never bathed and
were illiterate savages, constantly at war with
each other. No real medicine except herbs,
which amounts to no medicine at all. They
were horrible polluters, they moved a lot
because they made the areas they lived
in unlivable. The 'cool' way the Indians lived is
mostly a myth. If they weren't being raided
by other tribes, they lived a filthy hand to
mouth existence. Just like the third world
countries do today. Life expectancy was low,
infant mortality was high, and women dying
during childbirth was off the charts.

But they did live outdoors, they had that
going for them.

You make it sound like the European arrival solved all of that.

Everyone's mortality rate was high in the 1400's. No one had proper medicine (unless blood letting was considered a "modern miracle of medicine"). The "herb and grass" medicine was good enough, so good it is still used today. While they of course suffered maladies, they did not suffer many of the diseases common in cultures with high densities and contact with livestock. In short, the medical scene here was different only in cause, not in severity.

Bathing? Also no difference. Nobody bathed in the way-back. That's a common trait shared by NA culture and English royalty alike.

Illiterate? Obviously. The early natives could not read or write. But the early natives had no written language with which to read or write. All communication was done by speech, sign language, or signage. To use "literacy" as a negative on early natives would be similar to discrediting Galileo because he couldn't even use a computer.

Constantly at war? It depends who we're talking about. There were over 200 tribes of NA's, too diverse to group as simply "Indians". Sure, some were brutal warmongers (Apache's? I dunno, I'm a little short on knowledge of my southwestern brothers). My own people were warfaring, battling and conquering tribes in the area. Some were out for decimation. My own were after conquest; defeated tribes were taken over and made a part of our confederacy. But some tribes were downright pacifist. In short, NA life was a microcosm of the world today. Some brutal, some peaceful, most in the middle.

The "moving around due to pollution" is just false. There were very few nomadic tribes in NA culture, most all of which where in the southwest. Those were the ones who followed the buffalo herds. Many had home ranges, and that's where they stayed. My own were hunters and farmers. Longhouses have been discovered that spanned an area larger than a football field. You can't spend the resources to build great structures and cultivate fields if you're moving all the time.

Despite your label of "filthy, illiterate savages", they still had the wherewithal to survive the wilds for centuries, establish cultures and customs, design governments that our very Constitution was based on, wage war, conquer foes, tolerate biological disaster with the arrival of the Europeans, withstand genocide, and adapt to rapid changes in their entire world. They didn't do "well" with all of this. But they did good enough that I'm here typing this today. Not bad for some woodland folk =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 19th, 2014 at 9:36:02 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Today it is stealing a trademark from an individual. At that time it might well be stealing real property.

In this particular case of theft, the victim signed up to be robbed. The Redskins lost their trademark on April 2, 1999, and Snyder bought the team on May 25, 1999. Maybe he was unaware of the robbery, but it was on the front page of the newspaper. So if he didn't want to be robbed, he shouldn't have bought a team that had already lost their trademark.

Snyder paid $800 million. Even after the April 2nd robbery, it was still the highest price ever paid for a pro sports team at the time. (The previous year, the Cleveland Browns were purchased for $530 million.)