In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 19th, 2014 at 9:43:42 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Beethoven
Yep, and the Kelo decision by SCOTUS already allows for it. America seems intent on destroying itself!! *facepalm*

How often do I agree with Beethoven? (Almost never.) But in the case of Kelo, I'm 100% with you (and Scalia and Thomas.) It was draconian government overreach, pure and simple.

By the way, the government would like us to think that every landowner who sold their property to build the interstate highway system was paid a fair price, but you and I both know that's not true. Even if most landowners got a decent deal, plenty of owners still got screwed. Either the price was too low, or the land had emotional value that was priceless. And yet, we all benefit from interstate highways.
June 19th, 2014 at 12:41:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
But they did good enough that I'm here typing this today. Not bad for some woodland folk =)

The Stone Age ended in most of the world
only 4000 years ago. For the 10's of thousands
of years before that, they thrived in it. That
they still thrived in the 1800's is no great
achievement, just routine living from day
to day. I like reading the actual accounts
of people who lived with Indians 150 years
ago. Not pretty.

Indians did pollute the land they lived on,
with rotting animal carcasses and human
waste. That's why they moved around so
often, the land where they were became
unlivable.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 19th, 2014 at 1:24:52 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: reno
By the way, the government would like us to think that every landowner who sold their property to build the interstate highway system was paid a fair price, but you and I both know that's not true. Even if most landowners got a decent deal, plenty of owners still got screwed.
+10
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
June 19th, 2014 at 2:38:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

By the way, the government would like us to think that every landowner who sold their property to build the interstate highway system was paid a fair price, but you and I both know that's not true. Even if most landowners got a decent deal, plenty of owners still got screwed. Either the price was too low, or the land had emotional value that was priceless. And yet, we all benefit from interstate highways.

I just worked a parcel that involved a sale to build interstate highway. The people had to sue after the fact because the feds did not properly compensate them for the coal under as well as when they put the highway in it stranded about 1/3 of their acerage because the highway cut access to that area, 20 acres IIRC.
The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2014 at 2:43:37 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
It is like the restaurant some guy opened called "Coon Chicken Inn."

By the way, many entrepreneurs have attempted to trademark the word "nigga" (and its variations), but the U.S. Patent Office has consistently denied every application.

Over in Berlin, German trademark officials have twice rejected a petition to register a new line of casual wear called "J den Jeans" on the grounds that the name and its tagline "The ones with the little yellow star!" could be construed as offensive to some.
June 19th, 2014 at 2:55:33 PM permalink
AZDuffman
By the way, many entrepreneurs have attempted to trademark the word "nigga" (and its variations), but the U.S. Patent Office has consistently denied every application.

Denying an application and stealing one back that you already gave 80 years ago are two different things.

What they did to the Redskins is no different than telling the owners of the Empire State Building they no longer own it because today's zoning would not permit it.
The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2014 at 3:23:04 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

What they did to the Redskins is no different than telling the owners of the Empire State Building they no longer own it because today's zoning would not permit it.

It's NY. Just give them time XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 19th, 2014 at 3:45:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face

Despite your label of "filthy, illiterate savages", they still had the wherewithal to survive the wilds for centuries, establish cultures and customs, design governments that our very Constitution was based on, wage war, conquer foes, tolerate biological disaster with the arrival of the Europeans, withstand genocide, and adapt to rapid changes in their entire world. They didn't do "well" with all of this. But they did good enough that I'm here typing this today. Not bad for some woodland folk =)

Without proof I have to call BS on our Constitution being based on systems of Indian tribal government. Please add some detail.
The President is a fink.
June 19th, 2014 at 3:51:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Denying an application and stealing one back that you already gave 80 years ago are two different things.

Not really sure some wrongs can't be reversed after a certain point.

Just as someone may be granted the purpose to own slaves for a long time, does not invalidate freeing them decades later.

But this doesn't rise to the level of slavery, just sayin' there must be exceptions to this idea.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 19th, 2014 at 3:59:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Not really sure some wrongs can't be reversed after a certain point.

Just as someone may be granted the purpose to own slaves for a long time, does not invalidate freeing them decades later.

But this doesn't rise to the level of slavery, just sayin' there must be exceptions to this idea.

First, there is no wrong to right.

Unlike slavery, nobody is being harmed and nobody is being forced to give their own value to someone else.
The President is a fink.