In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 23rd, 2014 at 8:49:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Christina Hendricks, my god, she can say whatever she
likes because I'm in love with her.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 23rd, 2014 at 9:37:26 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Speaking of beautiful women with ugly guys, how he got her is beyond me:

Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
June 23rd, 2014 at 10:00:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
They're both in show biz, and neither will ever be
more than character actors. He an ugly little toad,
3 years younger than her. He must have been born
endowed, he's not rich.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 25th, 2014 at 5:31:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Now they are worried that there are too many vitamins and minerals in breakfast cereal?

I can see all the usual sheep worried about this killing their kids. How did some of us survive the 70s?
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2014 at 5:54:32 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
Now they are worried that there are too many vitamins and minerals in breakfast cereal?

I can see all the usual sheep worried about this killing their kids. How did some of us survive the 70s?

The food thing is weird. It's another case of me not being able to tell whether there has been a shift in product, or if it's just a side effect of 24/7 news and social media.

Not a day goes by that I'm not flooded with stuff like this. Fluoride conspiracy, chem trail conspiracy, GMO outrage... what is real and what is Chicken Little?

Some of the food stuff has me a little worried, but I haven't been able to pin point it. Is it the same-ish food, just the constant media made it into an issue? Is it the same-ish food, but we have better understanding of it now? Or is it really different food that's no good for you? I know I've felt better since recently switching from eating anything to adding a large portion of local grown, private farm meat and veg. Is that just psychological? Is it real, or is it Memorex?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 25th, 2014 at 6:52:41 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face

The food thing is weird. It's another case of me not being able to tell whether there has been a shift in product, or if it's just a side effect of 24/7 news and social media.

Not a day goes by that I'm not flooded with stuff like this. Fluoride conspiracy, chem trail conspiracy, GMO outrage... what is real and what is Chicken Little?

Some of the food stuff has me a little worried, but I haven't been able to pin point it. Is it the same-ish food, just the constant media made it into an issue? Is it the same-ish food, but we have better understanding of it now? Or is it really different food that's no good for you? I know I've felt better since recently switching from eating anything to adding a large portion of local grown, private farm meat and veg. Is that just psychological? Is it real, or is it Memorex?

IMO, the closer you can get to eating non-processed real food (which is what you're doing), the better you will feel. Real dairy, simple sugars if any (such as fruits), fresh or frozen meat and vegetables, etc. No fake sugars or fats, no preservatives, no complex carbs. Stuff that's engineered to reach that perfect craving spot, from Doritos to pizza to Twinkies, satisfies the immediate craving while building a long-term "want" for it, but contains so much in additives that deposit themselves in your cells, it just can't be good for you, and it adds up.

I look at it from a genetic basis; humans, for thousands of years, grew healthy and more long-lived generation by generation, eating increasingly fresh and pure foods, peaking mid-20th century. The more removed modern food is from that type of cooking and eating, the less your body tolerates it, even as you crave it from a taste point. They can't tell me, for example, that any artificial sweetener has been adequately tested long-term, because they simply didn't exist before about 60-70 years ago, an average life-span for that era. So we're seeing increases in Alzheimers, dementia, lupus, MS, other degenerative nerve and brain disease. There are some studies out there tentatively linking the one to the other.

Before the 50's or so, cereals were corn flakes, grape nuts, cheerios, Wheaties, shredded wheat, quaker oats, other non-sugared grains for the most part. Even when sugared stuff came in (earliest brands I remember as a kid were frosted flakes, sugar smacks (wheat), and alphabits (oats), with a simple sugar coating. All the additives and the super-sugared and complex sugars, along with preservatives, food color, other additives came later (though not by much), and I don't doubt heavy doses of that stuff over a decade or better of childhood affected some growth and development factors in modern generations.

OTOH, if you're poor and trying to feed a family, and you want food that's filling and cheap, the fresh/frozen stuff is usually more expensive/oz than the processed stuff. What are you going to do? The fast food is much cheaper than the quality food, much faster, and people WANT it, through taste point testing reinforcing advertising, finding that perfect fat/salt/carb/sweet spot that makes it so difficult to avoid.

So, yeah, it's real. It's your body craving the stuff that's good for it, in conflict with your brain trained to crave processed stuff crafted to create exactly the craving you have. The more you can listen to your body and eat simple foods, the better off you are.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 25th, 2014 at 10:17:37 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Would Ronald Reagan like this idea?

June 25th, 2014 at 12:10:19 PM permalink
Evenbob

I can see all the usual sheep worried about this killing their kids.

I eat no processed foods. At all. I eat no grains
of any kind. Under 30 grams of carb a day for
a year and a half. I know grown men that sit
in front of the TV eating breakfast cereal out
of the box. And they wonder why their kids
are blubbery whales.
June 25th, 2014 at 2:27:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

So much of the population wants to worry about something, and so much believs just whatever they hear. Alar on apples bad. Oat bran good. Three grapes from Chile have cyanide so we throw away every grape in every store that came from Chile, which meant most every grape as it was the middle of winter. Now it is gluten. 98% of the population has no issues with gluten, but half the world all of the sudden is afraid of gluten.

I hate to keep beating the pop-culture-junk-food thing into the ground, but it is a main culprit.

Quote:

I think it is a mixture of real and your mind. Switching from heat-n-eat to fresh veggies will do good. Fresh veggies from Florida will be the same as fresh veggies from Ferdonia. Organic is largely in the mind, IMHO.

It is possible that in adition to better food you have made other changes as well.
The President is a fink.
June 25th, 2014 at 2:36:08 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
In 2004 Bush didn't fight hard against Kerry, it took took the Swiftboat Vets to bring out the truth about his service.

Kerry for me is the ultimate example of how extreme Liberalism is a mental disease. The guy was known for what? protesting the Vietnam War. What was he in his own mind? A war hero that reminded everybody of JFK because that was his initials too, and, you know, swiftboats are a lot like PT boats. What a disconnect!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]