In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 6th, 2018 at 4:03:35 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Doesn't everybody enjoy a celebration of all that is beautiful in women?

No. Want to know who doesn't? Women who are not attractive! I worked with a woman who absolutely hated Hooters. Said that ",en should be forced to dress like that!" Didn't help when we tried to explain that nobody "forced" them to dress like that, it was a free-will job. But anyone, well any male, could see what she really hated was that she did not have the shall we say qualifications for the job.

Back to Miss America. It is the same thing in force. Years ago they made the swimsuit competition bare feet not high heels. They have been trying to tone it down. Now PC has taken over. Even if men mad the decision, it is PC pressure. You can bet that it is not from any women who were in any kind of beauty contest anywhere.

Here is a bit of how it is. Women love attention. They crave it. They hate some other women getting the attention. When you were in school, did you ever have an attractive girl move to your district, upset the "attention order" of thing, and all the girls started hating her? They hated her because she stole the attention of the males around her. I have heard that the way to truly get a woman is to play around with how much attention you pay to her. Give her tons of it at first. Then pull back a little and then a little more. Like a drug, she will then chase you for it. One called into Tom Leykis and told a caller to on a first or early date, be paying attention to women with different attributes (ie: if she is a brunette, be friendly with the blonde waitress.)

So you got these 50 women who are getting all the attention and in the swimsuit part face it, mostly for looks. Too many plain looking women can't take that. Eventually, either they get to power or the get a weaker male in power to cave.

The contest is not what it once was anyhow.
The President is a fink.
June 6th, 2018 at 8:13:22 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Let's talk about something more important -- Miss America Ends Swimsuit Competition, Aiming to Evolve in ‘This Cultural Revolution’. I have to say I oppose this. That was my second favorite part of the competition, after the interview portion.

They missed the boat on this. Miss America is all about the glamor. One of those things, like reading Playboy for the articles, that people always lie about.

Little girls want to be princesses, celebrated for their beauty AND their brains/talents/personalities. Little boys want to be dazzled by beauty.

A better approach IMO would have been to defend the current form in displaying healthy and proportional figures. Same with evening gowns, demostrating poise and glamor in very difficult clothing. The job (year of touring) requires many formal dress appearances.

Are they going to put a tiara on a woman in a pantsuit or business attire? Total dissonance.

They want to concentrate on talent, they say. So show more of the talent competition. They've constantly cut back on that programming over the last 40 years. It's always happened; they just have televised less and less of it.

There's a reason the SI swimsuit edition sells out every year, and is their biggest circulation. There's a reason the Red Carpet shows and galleries of award show dresses are so popular. Same reasons most people watch MI. Glamor, beauty, poise, great bodies, amazing dresses, interesting talent.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 6th, 2018 at 9:58:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Could not agree more. There already are a dozen shows that focus on talent. Miss America starts with beauty and has talent/intelligence/poise as add ons.
June 6th, 2018 at 10:28:30 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
A couple years ago when I was in Vegas for Memorial Day, I was eating breakfast at the MGM Grand buffet and all of the Miss America (or maybe Miss USA? Are they different?) contestants were eating at the buffet that morning. They had a whole section roped off for them. It was pretty cool.

And of course they were all hardly eating anything.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 6th, 2018 at 10:31:38 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
But they pay you to be sickened and
toe the company line.

I think what FrG says is heart-felt and truthful and not out of whatever little he is paid. He truly seems to loathe sin in the way Jesus did, but still loves the sinner. In my opinion, he represents his faith well. Perhaps given to angry outbursts from time to time, but who is perfect, other than Jesus ... and the Virgin Mary ... and Mr. Rogers (two more day until the movie!)
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 6th, 2018 at 10:47:17 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I thought the Miss America pageant was supposed to be about celebrating the whole enchilada -- intelligence, talent, empathy, poise, conversation, and, yes, beauty. It is called a beauty pageant after all. A nice gown can make an average woman look beautiful with the swimsuit competition you can't fake it. Also, I have no problem with women choosing to wear a one-piece if they want, as Miss Utah usually will.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 6th, 2018 at 12:05:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I thought the Miss America pageant was supposed to be about celebrating the whole enchilada -- intelligence, talent, empathy, poise, conversation, and, yes, beauty. It is called a beauty pageant after all. A nice gown can make an average woman look beautiful with the swimsuit competition you can't fake it. Also, I have no problem with women choosing to wear a one-piece if they want, as Miss Utah usually will.

IIRC the swimsuits used to all be identical. Of course they were not off-the-rack, surely lots of fitting was needed. But the style was the style, and that was that.
The President is a fink.
June 6th, 2018 at 12:17:57 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Fleastiff
Those generally sicken me too.

And there's my first smile of the day. You have my thanks.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 6th, 2018 at 2:18:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Volcano evaporates Hawaii's largest fresh water lake within a few hours. Was once 200 ft deep. I speculated for a second it might of disappeared in a big crevice, but in that landscape it would still likely boil away.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/lava-flow-evaporates-hawaiis-largest-freshwater-lake-within-hours/ar-AAyjpdW?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 6th, 2018 at 7:15:48 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
David Hogg's residence "Swatted". http://www.latimes.com/opinion/la-ol-enter-the-fray-swatting-david-hogg-wasn-t-a-prank-1528224230-htmlstory.html
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW