In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 30th, 2018 at 10:04:13 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10-30/trump-plans-end-birthright-citizenship-children-illegal-immigrants-axios

Report says Pres can sign EO to end anchor babies?

I wonder if that could be retroactive?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 30th, 2018 at 10:36:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph

Doubtful. And it would create a terrible mess. And it probably won't hold up anyway.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 30th, 2018 at 11:02:47 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10-30/trump-plans-end-birthright-citizenship-children-illegal-immigrants-axios

Report says Pres can sign EO to end anchor babies?

How do you actually prove you are a US citizen if you were not born in the country and entered the country legally as an infant 60 years ago?
Can my citizenship be taken away?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 30th, 2018 at 11:06:57 AM permalink
petroglyph
"Axios' four-part documentary news series will debut on HBO this Sunday at 6:30 pm.

Watch a clip from Axios' interview with Trump below:"

October 30th, 2018 at 11:10:28 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: terapined
How do you actually prove you are a US citizen if you were not born in the country and entered the country legally as an infant 60 years ago?
I can't imagine the bs you've had to go through?

The link I put up says that the non citizen status of anchor babies only applies if both parents are not citizens, ie; illegals. This also is intended to apply to birthright tourism.
October 30th, 2018 at 11:29:30 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I'm going to lift all of these quotes from the article.

first, not all non-citizens are illegals.

Relevant part of the 14th ammendment:

Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Quote:
"subject to the jurisdiction thereof" originally referred to people with full, political allegiance to the U.S. - green card holders and citizens.

if that is true, then children of illegal aliens should not be given US citizenship.

Quote:
The Supreme Court has already ruled that children born to immigrants who are legal permanent residents have citizenship.

More support of children of LEGAL non-citizens being citizens.

So if he sticks within those parameters, focusing on children if ILLEGAL non-citizens, his order will be fine, and there might be a court fight over "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" to decide that it is limited to and does not exceed green card holders and citizens.

strangely (for trump) this might actually be the right way to go about it. make an executive order, have it challenged and upheld in the supreme court.

If on the other hand his order is in clear conflict with the 14th amendment and is allowed to stand, it could get real interesting when the next liberal president starts rewriting the constitution with the executive order pen.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 30th, 2018 at 11:42:52 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Paul Ryan says "You cannot end birthright citizenship with an executive order"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/30/breaking-news-speaker-ryan-you-cannot-end-birthright-citizenship-with-an-executive-order-949387?fbclid=IwAR0nJF3_g8mWfP7UkgGIUsVSLGZvaSV17zwVfwZBYa5bjYiDdoBiJNo7zg8
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 30th, 2018 at 12:54:39 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: terapined

Still single, marriage hand still for sale. Zero chance I'd go to Fla for more than a week, and I don't hate your guts so would never try to convince you to live here, but if LTR works for you, we're golden.

You can still vote blue, hell, can even support gun control. But if i see a single Amazon purchase in our mail, that's instant annulment and I'm calling ICE =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 30th, 2018 at 1:06:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64

strangely (for trump) this might actually be the right way to go about it. make an executive order, have it challenged and upheld in the supreme court.

Trump is being sly as a fox here. Pre-1960s we did not have this tourist-birthing to get citizenship and the whole thing has gotten abused to hell. Trump wants to get things back to where they used to be. Easy to see this going to SCOTUS and that being the grand plan as getting Congress to act to fix things absent a gun to their heads will not happen. Even if it did, same route to SCOTUS.

Ideally, SCOTUS rules original intent is not for just any birth but just births to citizens, and then a future POTUS can't flip that back.
The President is a fink.
October 30th, 2018 at 3:19:50 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Face
Still single, marriage hand still for sale. Zero chance I'd go to Fla for more than a week, and I don't hate your guts so would never try to convince you to live here, but if LTR works for you, we're golden.

You can still vote blue, hell, can even support gun control. But if i see a single Amazon purchase in our mail, that's instant annulment and I'm calling ICE =)

???
I think it could get pretty interesting if govt to tried to take away my citizenship.
I hold all the evidence in my safety deposit box. 60 year old paper trail of official US state dept documents regarding my overseas birth

I buy from Amazon. What do you have against Amazon?
I still enjoy a good book on my kindle. Doesn't everyone?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"