November 21st, 2018 at 12:29:29 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
I know of this story but have not read about this closely
Why didn't she give the ring back?
No marriage, man gets his ring back. That's a common custom
Lots of cases on the Peoples court regarding engagement rings
Judge Judy always orders that the man gets his ring back if there is no marraige

I think you are right. Most states consider the ring a conditional gift, conditioned on marriage. If no marriage, the rings goes back to the giver.

I personally don't agree with that. Where do we draw the line? If I took the woman out to dinner to propose should I also be reimbursed for that if we don't get married? I am a believer that a gift is a gift and that by giving it that you have accepted all possible consequences. I personally could never imagine of asking for something back that I have given someone unless the conditions were agreed upon up front.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 21st, 2018 at 5:51:38 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Law against female genital mutilation held unconstitutional. Michigan doctors released. Politicians and womens groups up in arms.
November 21st, 2018 at 8:21:33 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
The judge said "Congress overstepped its bounds by legislating to prohibit FGM ... FGM is a 'local criminal activity' which, in keeping with long-standing tradition and our federal system of government, is for the states to regulate, not Congress."
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 22nd, 2018 at 4:12:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Housing Can’t Be Both Affordable and a Good Investment

Interesting take on the US Housing market. Not really surprising, but shows how no housing market can create wealth for the homeowners and at the same time let new homeowners into said market over time.

Currently I live in a very affordable market, but when I lived in Phoenix I wondered how on earth people were able to buy homes at those prices. I do still think that in a generation the more expensive markets especially will divide into "Lords and Serfs" with a permanent renter class.
The President is a fink.
November 22nd, 2018 at 5:55:33 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman

Currently I live in a very affordable market, but when I lived in Phoenix I wondered how on earth people were able to buy homes at those prices. I do still think that in a generation the more expensive markets especially will divide into "Lords and Serfs" with a permanent renter class.

What would you consider a reasonable amount to allocate to housing purchase based on income? 20% of net income? 30%? etc
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 22nd, 2018 at 7:51:38 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
What would you consider a reasonable amount to allocate to housing purchase based on income? 20% of net income? 30%? etc

In Vancouver,BC the average is over 50% of income is spent on housing. Average housing price is over 1 million.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 22nd, 2018 at 8:17:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich

Rule of thumb used for o be 25%. I know I lived much better when I
Got it down to below that. I got mine down to 15-20%.
The President is a fink.
November 22nd, 2018 at 8:49:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: kenarman
In Vancouver,BC the average is over 50% of income is spent on housing. Average housing price is over 1 million.
Much of it owned by Asians who don't want to be invested Yuan and would rather own empty houses.
November 22nd, 2018 at 10:10:09 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
double
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 22nd, 2018 at 10:10:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
I do still think that in a generation the more expensive markets especially will divide into "Lords and Serfs" with a permanent renter class.

That's the way it always ends up.
In Europe when the all the
immigrants came here in the 19th
century, it was not possible for
an average person to own a home.
Two classes. owners and renters.
And many of the owners were Jews,
hence the anti semtitism..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.