In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

November 22nd, 2018 at 1:06:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Dalex64
The judge said "Congress overstepped its bounds by legislating to prohibit FGM ... FGM is a 'local criminal activity' which, in keeping with long-standing tradition and our federal system of government, is for the states to regulate, not Congress."

The best argument against FHM is probably not a ban but declaring malpractice. I can't think offhand of any surgery which wouldn't be reduced by percentages depending on the size of the area or organ. You'd kill a baby using an adult sized heart valve. Can't replace a bone with the wrong size. If you end up removing up to half the tissue in a female circumcism, you wouldn't want to then argue the same percentage is good for males. And one procedure requires greater skill and likely different size instruments even, especially if you also have complications.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 22nd, 2018 at 7:21:47 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman

Currently I live in a very affordable market, but when I lived in Phoenix I wondered how on earth people were able to buy homes at those prices. I do still think that in a generation the more expensive markets especially will divide into "Lords and Serfs" with a permanent renter class.

The median home price in Phoenix is $237,000. The average household income is close to $80,000. Those houses seem reasonably priced to me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 23rd, 2018 at 4:19:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
The median home price in Phoenix is $237,000. The average household income is close to $80,000. Those houses seem reasonably priced to me.

Something seems off there. I know we had a crash since, but about 2005 you simply could not find anything for less than $200,000. That $80,000 figure seems high as well. Has to assume two or more working people per household as it implies a $40/hr average pay rate which is impossible.
The President is a fink.
November 23rd, 2018 at 12:01:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Woman caught on video stealing a package off of a doorstep in Florida. The package was full of worms for a pet bearded dragon.

Shelly Draves shared images from her home security camera showing the woman picking up a package placed on her doorstep in Orange County, Florida, and then taking it to a van backed into the driveway with a passenger door open.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/woman-caught-on-camera-stealing-package-off-doorstep-hilariously-it-was-full-of-500-worms-for-a-pet-lizard/ar-BBQ1m9X?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 23rd, 2018 at 12:39:17 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
At least a stink bomb would have rendered the van useless but that is probably stolen too.
November 24th, 2018 at 5:41:41 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Something seems off there. I know we had a crash since, but about 2005 you simply could not find anything for less than $200,000. That $80,000 figure seems high as well. Has to assume two or more working people per household as it implies a $40/hr average pay rate which is impossible.

Since the $80,000 is the average household income I too would assume the average household probably does have two working adults.

Realtor.com is showing 1,411 homes currently for sale in Phoenix for under $200k.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 24th, 2018 at 6:30:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
Since the $80,000 is the average household income I too would assume the average household probably does have two working adults.

Realtor.com is showing 1,411 homes currently for sale in Phoenix for under $200k.

That is now and probably includes condos. Place I lived dropped from mid-$300s when I moved in late 2005 to mid $100s after 2008 crash. Haven't looked lately. But everything from unaffordability to build quality to water availability makes me thing the entire southwest is unsustainable.
The President is a fink.
November 24th, 2018 at 9:55:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Tmakes me thing the entire southwest is unsustainable.

I've always thought that. They experienced
a huge boom after WWII because of the
availability of air conditioning. But that
territory isn't meant to support a huge
influx of people, it will break eventually.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 24th, 2018 at 11:31:24 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
That is now and probably includes condos. Place I lived dropped from mid-$300s when I moved in late 2005 to mid $100s after 2008 crash. Haven't looked lately. But everything from unaffordability to build quality to water availability makes me thing the entire southwest is unsustainable.
I'm on the border near Needles Cali. It seems there are hordes of retirees and other escapees coming across the border. Many have family and other motivations to be in easy driving distance of "back home".

But they bring their culture with them, and as soon as they can, many of them vote. I thought Az. would forever remain a Rep. enclave, but between the southern immigrants, and the Cali. hordes, this state may swing blue?

For a long time, it has been Rep. power with old white folk of means, retiring here because of the weather, generally leaning right. Who would have thought even five years ago that we would elect a bisexual woman senator?

Water wars are palpable. Water boards full of schemers selling water rights to hedge funds. Skulduggery reminiscent of the old west.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 26th, 2018 at 10:07:21 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
So Trump is a monster for using teargas at
the border, but when Obama did it in 2013
he was a saint?

Whatever..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.