Gun Control

June 5th, 2023 at 5:35:45 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Considering there is little chance of fixing the money problem, equal justice under the law would require a lottery system of getting your representation. You get a random set of lawyers regardless of your wealth. I can imagine the screaming against that idea. One can complain rights don't guarantee everyone the same set of all benefits but equal justice under the law is supposed to be guaranteed. Perhaps there is someone willing to argue the amount of money you have to defend yourself makes no difference overall, but it will be the worst justifiable argument ever.

I think that is a great idea, but it will never happen.

Lawyers would be the biggest losers (even more so than the defendants) -no more easy six figure retainers from every alcoholic millionaire- And, since lawyers directly or indirectly write all of our laws, well.....
June 6th, 2023 at 2:47:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Considering there is little chance of fixing the money problem, equal justice under the law would require a lottery system of getting your representation. You get a random set of lawyers regardless of your wealth. I can imagine the screaming against that idea. One can complain rights don't guarantee everyone the same set of all benefits but equal justice under the law is supposed to be guaranteed. Perhaps there is someone willing to argue the amount of money you have to defend yourself makes no difference overall, but it will be the worst justifiable argument ever.

This would be the law version of socialize medicine. On one hand this would be "equal" justice for all. OTOH it would mean most everyone would get a lawyer who could care less about you. It would also be unconstitutional since you would effectively lose your right to defend yourself. The kind of system a country like North Korea or China would have.

Which is not to say that money can make the difference. Money let OJ Simpson get away with murdering two people. "LA Law" had an introspective storyline where the lawyer had 2 drinks with lunch and got charged with DUI. He got it plead down because he had the connections to defend himself. After he plead out he said to his wife how if he was some poor person he would have been found guilty, and said he was half-guilty.
The President is a fink.
June 6th, 2023 at 3:12:04 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
Here are a few examples of some recent gun violence:

A convenience store owner in S.C. shot a 14 year old boy in the back who he wrongly accused of stealing

In Mo. a homeowner shot a 16 year old boy who rang the wrong doorbell

in NY a 20 year old was shot as she and her friends turned into the wrong driveway

and in Texas 2 cheerleaders were shot after one tried to get into the wrong car in a dark parking lot

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/30/us/south-carolina-convenience-store-shooting.html

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
June 6th, 2023 at 3:56:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
Total BS
Blacks in prison are not political prisoners and nobody but extremists you listen to believe that
those extremists exist in law school. I would be extremely sad to hear you didn't realize that

Clarence Thomas was originally very liberal. He has said at one point he believed the bit about being political prisoners

Quote:
Are Blacks punished more severely then whites for the same crimes. Of course
Look at SBF. The guy stole billions. One of the worst criminals on the planet. Hes sitting at home probably playing video games
White privilege. A black man would be in jail awaiting trial
I concur with Gandler on this.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 6th, 2023 at 5:03:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
This would be the law version of socialize medicine. On one hand this would be "equal" justice for all. OTOH it would mean most everyone would get a lawyer who could care less about you. It would also be unconstitutional since you would effectively lose your right to defend yourself. The kind of system a country like North Korea or China would have.

Which is not to say that money can make the difference. Money let OJ Simpson get away with murdering two people. "LA Law" had an introspective storyline where the lawyer had 2 drinks with lunch and got charged with DUI. He got it plead down because he had the connections to defend himself. After he plead out he said to his wife how if he was some poor person he would have been found guilty, and said he was half-guilty.

Neither N. Korea, or China have equal justice under the law. It's actually better for some then others depending on your connections. I wouldn't be surprised if money also affects their outcomes as well, but probably in bribing the right people in some cases instead of political power.

Regardless, the lady justice wearing a blindfold, or "equal justice under law" inscribed right on the front of the Supreme Court is more meaningless if you think it's alright the way we get legal counsel.

So, the fact that it might make it bad for people who have plenty of money sometimes is completely fair. Whether they or anyone else likes it or not.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 6th, 2023 at 9:18:40 AM permalink
PotPie
Quote: odiousgambit

Clarence Thomas was originally very liberal.

He's still very liberal when it comes to his philosophy about his right to accept luxurious gifts for decades

He was liberal also in that he didn't feel it necessary to disclose his wife's income on his 2011 tax return

Thomas stopped disclosing his gifts after a 2004 L.A. Times story ran showing that he had taken more than any other Justice

He said he didn't believe he had to disclose. That's a crock

The link has all the dirt on Thomas

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/24/1171343472/justice-thomas-gifts-scandal-highlights-double-standard-for-ethics-in-government

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
June 9th, 2023 at 4:22:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: terapined
Total BS
Blacks in prison are not political prisoners and nobody but extremists you listen to believe that

Your government disagrees with you

https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-library/abstracts/political-prisoners-racism-and-politics-imprisonment
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 10th, 2023 at 9:18:41 AM permalink
PotPie
in 2021__________47,286 died by gun either in suicide or murder
365 days in a year
that works out to be just under 130 gun deaths per day on average

unreal

if in 20 years or so gun deaths reach 𝟯𝟬𝟬 per day on average - which seems very likely - what will the gun lovers say then_____?

will that too be okay_______?

Do I even need to ask__________?_____________of course it will be okay______________it will be just peachy_____________carry on as usual - no reason to be concerned

June 10th, 2023 at 1:58:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: PotPie
in 2021__________47,286 died by gun either in suicide or murder
365 days in a year
that works out to be just under 130 gun deaths per day on average

unreal

if in 20 years or so gun deaths reach 𝟯𝟬𝟬 per day on average - which seems very likely - what will the gun lovers say then_____?

will that too be okay_______?

Do I even need to ask__________?_____________of course it will be okay______________it will be just peachy_____________carry on as usual - no reason to be concerned

Should we get rid of cars because people die in car accidents?

It is not "guns" it is "people." You live in a declining and violent society. Quit whining about "guns."

Nobody is forcing you to own one.
The President is a fink.
June 10th, 2023 at 3:33:25 PM permalink
PotPie
Quote: AZDuffman

It is not "guns" it is "people." You live in a declining and violent society.

what an effing pathetic response

there is obviously a problem - so his response is - do nothing - because it's a declining and violent society

that is the mission of a responsible society - to solve problems - not to just say "okay that's the way it is"