Gun Control

June 4th, 2023 at 2:54:58 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
Gun laws do work. Specifically laws that make possessing an illegally obtained gun a long jail sentence or carrying improperly a long jail sentence, these absolutely lower the rate of gang members from running around with guns.

That only works where the laws are enforced.

The penalty in NYC for legal gun possession is 3.5 years.

Unfortunately, the Democrat no bail-no jail law has allowed 88% of those arrested for illegal gun possession to be put back on the streets within hours of their arrest.

The Manhattan DA refuses to prosecute gun possession cases for prison time.

Not just New York.

'Philly Democrats remain largely silent on Krasner non-prosecution stance for illegal guns'

This is all due to the Democrat decarceration movement, that began under the Obama administration.

Next target is life sentences. Twenty year max.
June 4th, 2023 at 3:13:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Been wondering if you can manufacture guns with x-ray detectable material embedded inside the metal. In several places on the gun so you would literally destroy it to get rid of them. They would show the serial number under x-ray so it couldn’t be altered or removed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 4th, 2023 at 3:26:38 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Those on the right generally do not oppose such laws. Those on the left do, though. They will say they "affect minorities" or some other thing. You go after gang members and they whine about "profiling." So they are getting the neighborhoods they say they want.

That is the problem with the left, they want very strict gun laws (some I support, some I do not, I am actually pretty in favor of gun rights), but they also do not want police and counties to enforce such laws. You can't have effective gun laws while disenfranchising the police, it will never work. You can't have both.

The extreme left that wants to defund the police and military and have open borders and ban guns is an oxymoron. How are you possibly going to seize all guns without police and military (and open borders allowing a flow of guns in)? So there definitely are some logic gaps on the fringe.

Strict laws and regulations only work if there are people empowered to enforce them. Otherwise, it is basically a wish list.
June 4th, 2023 at 3:41:01 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Tanko
That only works where the laws are enforced.

The penalty in NYC for legal gun possession is 3.5 years.

Unfortunately, the Democrat no bail-no jail law has allowed 88% of those arrested for illegal gun possession to be put back on the streets within hours of their arrest.

The Manhattan DA refuses to prosecute gun possession cases for prison time.

Not just New York.

'Philly Democrats remain largely silent on Krasner non-prosecution stance for illegal guns'

This is all due to the Democrat decarceration movement, that began under the Obama administration.

Next target is life sentences. Twenty year max.

Yeah that is lunacy, and is explaining why certain cities have skyrocketing property crimes. Armed robbery charged as petty larceny?

I hate to say it, but cities that are moving in this direction are reaping what they sow. When commercial properties are sitting vacant because nobody wants office or retail space right in the heart of downtown. And, the streets are filled with crime and homelessness, soon there will not be anyone left in these cities to pay taxes.

The ironic thing is Portland is finally removing campers from sidewalks and parks. Because of resident complaints? No. Because they had a massive ADA lawsuit (basically allowing camping on sidewalks blocks wheelchair access). And, now they have Federal Court orders to make consistent progress (and one of the provisions is they cannot hand out tents anymore, so I guess the city was literally handing out tents.....)

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/homeless/portland-city-council-accepts-settlement-ada-lawsuit-sidewalk-camping/283-e763f1dc-4bfe-4ebf-9ce6-b2756d0d67b0

I have a problem with incarceration for victimless crimes (smoking pot, etc....) When it comes to property crimes and violent crimes, I am all for mass incarceration. Lock them all up. If this disproportionality affects certain demographics in certain areas, too bad.... And, 20 years max, is insane. I am not going to defend that.

Cities that are spending all of their resources protecting the rights of those that do not contribute to society, which in turn scares off those that do, will soon have a city full of criminals and campers, and nobody to fund crazy programs.

You will not get resistance from me. On the issue of crime, the right wing is sadly right. We are letting too much scum roam free while inconveniencing (and endangering) good citizens.
June 5th, 2023 at 6:55:50 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If you go to a Leftie law school for 3-4 years and the whole time you are told that Blacks have a disproportionate percentage of those in prison because of racism, that those Af/Am prisoners are political prisoners, then when you come out maybe you have vowed the whole time not to add to this thing. Then, you find yourself attorney general due to approval of this attitude, reinforcing it. Then you realize you are going to have to either go back on your vow or disproportionately incarcerate Blacks just as you decried, and we all know it's because of unavoidable facts that you were told not to believe.

So likely because of the screwed up values instilled in you in so many ways, you decide to not do your job. If you have a lick of a sense of duty, or care a tiny bit more about protecting your community, or care about the country at all, or have any character at all, you would do your job. But if you are so far gone that you actually want to tear down the current system, well, then we are going to see what we are seeing.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 5th, 2023 at 9:07:44 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5
Quote: odiousgambit
So likely, because of the screwed up values instilled in you in so many ways________

the gangsta life, swag, the fast life, gold jewelry flash - this is all being glamorized in rap videos and elsewhere

Ja Morant - NBA superstar flashing his gun for all to see

this is harming a certain segment of our society

a lot of these kids - they're lost - they don't even know right from wrong - they know what the society thinks is wrong - but that's not what they think is wrong

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
June 5th, 2023 at 4:07:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
If you go to a Leftie law school for 3-4 years and the whole time you are told that Blacks have a disproportionate percentage of those in prison because of racism, that those Af/Am prisoners are political prisoners,

Total BS
Blacks in prison are not political prisoners and nobody but extremists you listen to believe that
Are Blacks punished more severely then whites for the same crimes. Of course
Look at SBF. The guy stole billions. One of the worst criminals on the planet. Hes sitting at home probably playing video games
White privilege. A black man would be in jail awaiting trial
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 5th, 2023 at 4:37:53 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: terapined
Total BS
Blacks in prison are not political prisoners and nobody but extremists you listen to believe that
Are Blacks punished more severely then whites for the same crimes. Of course
Look at SBF. The guy stole billions. One of the worst criminals on the planet. Hes sitting at home probably playing video games
White privilege. A black man would be in jail awaiting trial

I think you are underestimating the power of money, and perhaps more critically the power of legal representation. Somebody who stole billions probably has a team of lawyers (I don't know much about that case, but that is a general rule). And, on a smaller scale it happens with smaller crimes too.

A white doctor who gets in a fight in a bar, probably can afford a lawyer and probably will be out on bond instantly. A black truck driver who gets in a fight in a bar probably cannot (and probably makes too much for a public defender). Reverse the races and the situation would be the same. Money matters the most in criminal justice, specifically being able to afford competent representation. And, overall black people simply make less money (and have less savings) than white people, so when charged with the same crime, they are less likely to have legal representation. This is more of a problem of money than race (wealth and lack of wealth just correlates more strongly with some races overall).

The weird conundrum with legal representation is it is expensive. And, to qualify for public assistance (public defender) you have to be poverty level poor in most States (somebody making 12/hr would not qualify in many states). So this harms the lower middle class the most. Rich people will always have money for lawyers, very poor people (at least on paper) will always get free services. Those barely scraping by will not have the money or qualify for representation. Like housing and healthcare this is another system where the poorest and the richest have it the best, and people in the lower middle (working) class get the shaft.
June 5th, 2023 at 4:54:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Gandler
I think you are underestimating the power of money, and perhaps more critically the power of legal representation. Somebody who stole billions probably has a team of lawyers (I don't know much about that case, but that is a general rule). And, on a smaller scale it happens with smaller crimes too.

A white doctor who gets in a fight in a bar, probably can afford a lawyer and probably will be out on bond instantly. A black truck driver who gets in a fight in a bar probably cannot (and probably makes too much for a public defender). Reverse the races and the situation would be the same. Money matters the most in criminal justice, specifically being able to afford competent representation. And, overall black people simply make less money (and have less savings) than white people, so when charged with the same crime, they are less likely to have legal representation. This is more of a problem of money than race (wealth and lack of wealth just correlates more strongly with some races overall).

The weird conundrum with legal representation is it is expensive. And, to qualify for public assistance (public defender) you have to be poverty level poor in most States (somebody making 12/hr would not qualify in many states). So this harms the lower middle class the most. Rich people will always have money for lawyers, very poor people (at least on paper) will always get free services. Those barely scraping by will not have the money or qualify for representation. Like housing and healthcare this is another system where the poorest and the richest have it the best, and people in the lower middle (working) class get the shaft.

Considering there is little chance of fixing the money problem, equal justice under the law would require a lottery system of getting your representation. You get a random set of lawyers regardless of your wealth. I can imagine the screaming against that idea. One can complain rights don't guarantee everyone the same set of all benefits but equal justice under the law is supposed to be guaranteed. Perhaps there is someone willing to argue the amount of money you have to defend yourself makes no difference overall, but it will be the worst justifiable argument ever.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 5th, 2023 at 5:02:26 PM permalink
rxwine
Pro bono work is still a poor substitute for being able to hire a full time team of lawyers. You might get a skilled lawyer through volunteered services but it's hardly a guarantee of fairness.