Gun Control

October 3rd, 2023 at 3:04:36 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: GenoDRPh
AZ is purple...

They voted democrat in the last two elections. President, Governor, Senator. It is a blue state, and they're paying the price.
October 3rd, 2023 at 10:11:01 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: Tanko
They voted democrat in the last two elections. President, Governor, Senator. It is a blue state, and they're paying the price.

Which party was in the majority on the state legislature when their gun laws were passed? I think you will find that it is the STATE legislature, not the President or the Senators, that make state gun laws.
October 3rd, 2023 at 11:08:26 AM permalink
Tanko
It doesn't matter who wrote their gun laws. My post was about gun trafficking and bulk gun purchases. You were wrong as usual when you thought AZ was red and wrong again when you claimed it was purple.

Incidentally, your blue state doesn't impose a waiting period or limit bulk gun purchases either.
October 3rd, 2023 at 11:33:16 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: Tanko
It doesn't matter who wrote their gun laws. My post was about gun trafficking and bulk gun purchases. You were wrong as usual when you thought AZ was red and wrong again when you claimed it was purple.

Incidentally, your blue state doesn't impose a waiting period or limit bulk gun purchases either.

No, but we also have lower gun crime than AZ. Why is that?

Why is it that politically bipolar AZ is a top 9 source state for trafficked guns, yet my Blue state isn't in the top 7 for destinations for trafficked guns?

Inquiring minds want to know!

https://everytownsupportfund.org/press/everytown-analysis-atf-data-shows-increases-in-key-indicators-of-gun-trafficking-during-2020/#:~:text=9%20states%20are%20the%20source,)%20and%20Florida%20(1%2C063).
October 3rd, 2023 at 2:10:43 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I think we should just get rid of all gun laws and hope for more people to kill each other faster. Less competition for resources; it would drive prices down.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 4th, 2023 at 7:42:28 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Gun deaths are higher than I thought. Somewhere around 100 a day in the USA. That’s maybe 3% of the daily malaria death toll in Africa. Just for perspective…..

Someone has an illegal gun…? Throw away the key….. Hard labor. No parole. Make it clear.

Someone commits a crime using a legal gun…? Throw away the key…. Hard labor. No parole. Make it clear.
October 4th, 2023 at 8:18:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Gun deaths are higher than I thought. Somewhere around 100 a day in the USA. That’s maybe 3% of the daily malaria death toll in Africa. Just for perspective…..

Someone has an illegal gun…? Throw away the key….. Hard labor. No parole. Make it clear.

Someone commits a crime using a legal gun…? Throw away the key…. Hard labor. No parole. Make it clear.

Half of those gun deaths are suicides so can be thrown out in crime stats. When you purge them out it comes to around 57 gun deaths per day in the USA. Or just over one per state. Hardly an epidemic or even problem.

Now, are you saying that if you call the Amherst police about a noise complaint and they see your grandfather's shotgun sitting in the corner that you have had for years but has not ownership transfer paperwork that we should bus you to Attica and leave you there? because that is what you just said.

ONE PER STATE PER DAY.

When we hear a stat we need to ask "compared to what" before we get riled up seeing a simple number. Remember a few years back people got riled for bottled water being sold for $40 a case? Some of us pointed out that they regularly paid this as they often paid $2 a bottle. But the price for a full case at that same outlet well that thought did not cross their mind.

ONE PER STATE PER DAY

We already have harsher penalties for using a gun in a crime. Now, as to these deaths that are not suicides, most of them are by someone the victim knows. Some are OC related where a person needs to be taken out. Some are gang violence. Some are some person taking revenge like a cheating spouse.

ONE PER STATE PER DAY

Meanwhile, about 2 deaths in car accidents per state per day. Should we ban cars? The other thing is just a few areas really skew the numbers. East LA, South Side of Chicago, parts of DC. If we really policed those areas we might make a difference. But the people in those areas scream DEFUND THE POLICE! Even if you assume just a few want them defunded, the majority vote blindly for the pols promising to do so.

Gun violence is not a problem in the USA. Media blowing it out of proportion is more of one.
The President is a fink.
October 4th, 2023 at 8:44:18 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Half of those gun deaths are suicides so can be thrown out in crime stats. When you purge them out it comes to around 57 gun deaths per day in the USA. Or just over one per state. Hardly an epidemic or even problem.

Now, are you saying that if you call the Amherst police about a noise complaint and they see your grandfather's shotgun sitting in the corner that you have had for years but has not ownership transfer paperwork that we should bus you to Attica and leave you there? because that is what you just said.

ONE PER STATE PER DAY.

When we hear a stat we need to ask "compared to what" before we get riled up seeing a simple number. Remember a few years back people got riled for bottled water being sold for $40 a case? Some of us pointed out that they regularly paid this as they often paid $2 a bottle. But the price for a full case at that same outlet well that thought did not cross their mind.

ONE PER STATE PER DAY

We already have harsher penalties for using a gun in a crime. Now, as to these deaths that are not suicides, most of them are by someone the victim knows. Some are OC related where a person needs to be taken out. Some are gang violence. Some are some person taking revenge like a cheating spouse.

ONE PER STATE PER DAY

Meanwhile, about 2 deaths in car accidents per state per day. Should we ban cars? The other thing is just a few areas really skew the numbers. East LA, South Side of Chicago, parts of DC. If we really policed those areas we might make a difference. But the people in those areas scream DEFUND THE POLICE! Even if you assume just a few want them defunded, the majority vote blindly for the pols promising to do so.

Gun violence is not a problem in the USA. Media blowing it out of proportion is more of one.

Yes on question one, after some time period allowing for the disposal of illegal guns in your possession. Make the rules for legal gun possession easy to understand. Than easy to enforce. With severe penalties.

As far as your second point, I’m not going to compare unnecessary gun deaths to auto deaths for this analysis, because one (guns) adds nothing to MY quality of life, while the other (driving a car) adds substantially to MY quality of life. So to ME, it’s easy. You may feel differently, as you may feel owning a gun gives you joy. I’d compare gun deaths to ZERO gun deaths. I do agree with you that the media does blow the problem out of proportion. But it is still a problem.

Point 3…. I want the penalties even harsher than they are today.

Point 4…. Agree. For ME. I can easily avoid areas with high gun crime. But what do you do about the poor law abiding citizen that can’t afford to live in Amherst? As a society we collectively believe they are entitled to a safe place to live. Do you disagree?
October 4th, 2023 at 9:42:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 4th, 2023 at 9:45:54 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO

Point 4…. Agree. For ME. I can easily avoid areas with high gun crime. But what do you do about the poor law abiding citizen that can’t afford to live in Amherst? As a society we collectively believe they are entitled to a safe place to live. Do you disagree?

(Clipped, relevance)

Yes. Why would they be entitled to that?

Like, if a would-be mother doesn't want her child to be born in an unsafe area, the Government should just offer free abortions. Much cheaper than the kid being born (not to mention the kid's actual life) anyway.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman