Michelle Obama for Illinois Senator

Page 1 of 3123>
June 5th, 2014 at 3:03:54 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
As you probably know, Barack Obama's senate seat was won by a Republican in 2010 which means that they will have to choose a Democrat to run against him in 2016. The Obamas have not sold their residence in chicago, and Michelle is (not surprisingly) ahead in the polls.

It would be less egregious than Hillary suddenly deciding she is a New Yorker. But it would obviously bring discussion of Michelle for POTUS in 2020.

What say you?
June 5th, 2014 at 3:42:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I never understood this "lets elect his wife!" thing. I never understood the idea of appointing the wife when a Senator dies, as some called for in the early-1990s when Sen. Heinz died in a air crash. Why is someone a good choice because their spouse had a job? Would you hire someone's wife to manage your McDonald's with no experience because their husband knew the business when they never worked there a day?

As to Michelle and Hillary, when I see either of them they look miserable and unhappy. Why do people like them? Why elect them, this is not Argentina.
The President is a fink.
June 5th, 2014 at 4:01:38 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Unelectable for POTUS.
June 5th, 2014 at 4:15:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Unelectable for POTUS.

I think in 2000 most people would have said that about Hillary.

You may personally dislike her today just as much as you did in 2000, but you can't call her unelectable.

Personally, I don't think Obama is going to take any post. He is going to be much too powerful for that.
June 5th, 2014 at 7:30:43 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
in the grocery store recently I noticed the scandal sheets say she will divorce the Pres after they leave the WH.

If she wants to run for Senator, she'll check with Hillary and H. will say "nah, gotta have at least a fake marriage if you want to run for office"
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 5th, 2014 at 11:47:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I think the Bill and Hillary marriage is creepy. I remember a guy once who told me his wife would lay in bed and just get madder and madder until she would punch him in the face while he was asleep.
June 5th, 2014 at 6:59:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit
in the grocery store recently I noticed the scandal sheets say she will divorce the Pres after they leave the WH.
"

There's reports all over the place that they
haven't shared the same bedroom in months
and never speak in private. Some straw broke
the camels back. Obama is a real flirt apparently,
and has been for years. It drives Michelle nuts.

I can't stand her, she has no accomplishments
to run on. At least Hillary was involved in politics
when she was First Lady. Michelle plants gardens
and slaps potato chips out of grade school kids
hands.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2014 at 8:46:25 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: Pacomartin
I think in 2000 most people would have said that about Hillary.

You may personally dislike her today just as much as you did in 2000, but you can't call her unelectable.

Personally, I don't think Obama is going to take any post. He is going to be much too powerful for that.
There just isn't any reason to vote for her over Kim Kardashian. No personal dislike, just no reason to act thinking she has it because nothing there but school lunches or whatever.
June 5th, 2014 at 8:51:38 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Quote: AZDuffman
I never understood this "lets elect his wife!" thing. I never understood the idea of appointing the wife when a Senator dies, as some called for in the early-1990s when Sen. Heinz died in a air crash. Why is someone a good choice because their spouse had a job? Would you hire someone's wife to manage your McDonald's with no experience because their husband knew the business when they never worked there a day?

As to Michelle and Hillary, when I see either of them they look miserable and unhappy. Why do people like them? Why elect them, this is not Argentina.
It's basically just branding. Elizabeth Dole was elected herself same principal but can't remember if she was appointed. George W Bush became president for the same reason where it's the brand and also as the anti-Clinton brand.
June 5th, 2014 at 11:41:05 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
It's basically just branding. Elizabeth Dole was elected herself same principal but can't remember if she was appointed. George W Bush became president for the same reason where it's the brand and also as the anti-Clinton brand.

She was not appointed. Jesse Helms held the seat for 30 years and decided to retire. Elizabeth Dole won the Primary with 80%, and the election by a 8.5% margin.
She was swept out by a Democratic woman (16 year younger) in the Democratic push in 2008 that brought in President Obama.
Page 1 of 3123>