Charged!! Guilty Without A Court Date...

Page 4 of 7<1234567>
September 15th, 2014 at 5:46:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
They are gladiators, not role models.
September 15th, 2014 at 7:16:45 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: Fleastiff
So any and all behavior is not only expected but tolerated?
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
September 15th, 2014 at 11:26:37 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Fleastiff

They are not necessarily role models, but the promoters of their matches--the NFL and teams--have to protect themselves from letting them bring too much bad publicity that could eventually lead to lower popularity for the league. It is what ANY large organization would do.

The whole "not role models" and "let them do what they want" arguments are not valid because a large amount of people that pay to watch them play don't want to see too low of behavioral standards. They may not be role models...but they do have to follow the rules the league establishes for conduct.
September 15th, 2014 at 12:11:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: RonC
They are not necessarily role models, but the promoters of their matches--the NFL and teams--have to protect themselves from letting them bring too much bad publicity that could eventually lead to lower popularity for the league. It is what ANY large organization would do.

The whole "not role models" and "let them do what they want" arguments are not valid because a large amount of people that pay to watch them play don't want to see too low of behavioral standards. They may not be role models...but they do have to follow the rules the league establishes for conduct.

An organazation? Why not just call them what they are, a 401c3 tax exempt corporation? These league owners make millions and millions of dollars and make much of it tax free. Every city with a new stadium, the local tax payers provide and pay for through various taxes for the infrastructure, roads, utilities etc. for the stadiums to be built, serviced and protected. Then those that didn't go to "the game" get to deal with traffic congestion and fans driving on the roads after tailgate parties, no thanks. The school system has collapsed and we are building more stadiums, America's priorties are severely messed up. As long as we have to have perpetual war why not just arm these guys to the teeth and send them to war and film it? Hi lites at eleven.

How is it better to let these team owners make millions of dollars using the facilties that we provide [tax free] and I have no say so. If an average american family can't afford to go to a pro game at least once per year than imo there is something VERY wrong with the system.

That money if it has to be extracted from the fruit of my labor can be better utilized other places. Sports, arggh. Instead of spending the weekend, Monday, and Thursday glued to the tube or making fantasy teams could in so many ways be better spent going down to the local high school and cheering for the local kids. There's a role model for ya. Get involved with the local community whether you have kids or don't. Intead of spending our lives cheeering for people who's only contribution to the country is to divert the citizens away from what is truly important. [ there are exceptions, Pat Tillman for ex.]

Be part of the community instead of cheering for these thugs. Some of them do good works, ex. Larry Fitzgerald, Curt Warner, but who gets emulated more down in cities? Paying these guys this kind of money, partially because the owners get theirs tax free irritates me to no end. Then we spend hours on the internet discussing the whole mess, then the so called media can spend hours explaining every nuance of every player ad infinitum. While the kids have nothing to do, so after watching and hearing for years about the NFL, these youngsters design there very own sport of "knockout". That's what this hyper violence has done, it promotes violence. Life shouldn't be a spectator sport, get involved.

If its a business, fine. People that want to watch it is fine also, as is the mega rich owners increasing their wealth. I would prefer not to sponsor it if I were given a choice. Its a business but I cannot fathom why it deserves tax exempt status like religion or the press. There is no constitutional guarantee to football.

I think they should give these players for this kind of money any drug they want. Lots of steroids, and pain meds. Give them all swords and sheilds and turn them loose in the colleseum.

They learned at least as far back as Rome to keep the masses fed and entertained lest they find out what the masters are doing and revolt.

ps This isn't directed at you, jmo
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 15th, 2014 at 12:53:09 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: petroglyph
An organazation? Why not just call them what they are, a 401c3 tax exempt corporation? These league owners make millions and millions of dollars and make much of it tax free. Every city with a new stadium, the local tax payers provide and pay for through various taxes for the infrastructure, roads, utilities etc. for the stadiums to be built, serviced and protected. Then those that didn't go to "the game" get to deal with traffic congestion and fans driving on the roads after tailgate parties, no thanks. The school system has collapsed and we are building more stadiums, America's priorties are severely messed up. As long as we have to have perpetual war why not just arm these guys to the teeth and send them to war and film it? Hi lites at eleven.

How is it better to let these team owners make millions of dollars using the facilties that we provide [tax free] and I have no say so. If an average american family can't afford to go to a pro game at least once per year than imo there is something VERY wrong with the system.

That money if it has to be extracted from the fruit of my labor can be better utilized other places. Sports, arggh. Instead of spending the weekend, Monday, and Thursday glued to the tube or making fantasy teams could in so many ways be better spent going down to the local high school and cheering for the local kids. There's a role model for ya. Get involved with the local community whether you have kids or don't. Intead of spending our lives cheeering for people who's only contribution to the country is to divert the citizens away from what is truly important. [ there are exceptions, Pat Tillman for ex.]

Be part of the community instead of cheering for these thugs. Some of them do good works, ex. Larry Fitzgerald, Curt Warner, but who gets emulated more down in cities? Paying these guys this kind of money, partially because the owners get theirs tax free irritates me to no end. Then we spend hours on the internet discussing the whole mess, then the so called media can spend hours explaining every nuance of every player ad infinitum. While the kids have nothing to do, so after watching and hearing for years about the NFL, these youngsters design there very own sport of "knockout". That's what this hyper violence has done, it promotes violence. Life shouldn't be a spectator sport, get involved.

If its a business, fine. People that want to watch it is fine also, as is the mega rich owners increasing their wealth. I would prefer not to sponsor it if I were given a choice. Its a business but I cannot fathom why it deserves tax exempt status like religion or the press. There is no constitutional guarantee to football.

I think they should give these players for this kind of money any drug they want. Lots of steroids, and pain meds. Give them all swords and sheilds and turn them loose in the colleseum.

They learned at least as far back as Rome to keep the masses fed and entertained lest they find out what the masters are doing and revolt.

ps This isn't directed at you, jmo

A lot of good thoughts (and some, uh, interesting ones) for another discussion.

We're off-track here; and I have been part of it...

The main point involving the topic is this:

People are innocent until proven guilty. The police and prosecutors should work to not undermine that outside of the court room wherever possible. Try cases in court, not in the newspapers.

Ray Rice, as an employee, can be fired as desired by the employer. That is different from the court issue...
September 15th, 2014 at 1:34:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: RonC
"It's a cyber scarlet letter with a punch, as 11 men found out in Richmond after they encountered undercover officers who posed as prostitutes Thursday afternoon while wearing hidden microphones along busy 23rd Street.

The officers snapped the men's mug shots while booking them in the field, then posted the photos Friday to the police force's Facebook page."

http://www.chron.com/crime/article/Bay-Area-police-use-online-shame-to-deter-johns-5736677.php

First--soliciting prostitution is illegal. That isn't the point of this conversation.

This kind of stuff happens all the time. I believe that the "perp walk" and things like this push the limits of our constitution. Once your picture is out there and seen by others, you've been convicted in the court of public opinion. Why can't the police/prosecutors wait until there is an actual conviction before posting pictures?

Publish all the pictures you want of convicted folks...but respect the rights of those who have not yet had their day in court.

Guilty until proven innocent or found not guilty (and then not really excepted as being truly innocent or not guilty) is the result of perp walks and pictures of arrests...

Having been accused [and also totally innocent] having a person's photo published should be a punishable offense.

I hope if anyone posted that may end up proven innocent can prove damages, they can receive an award as well as the termination of the person that published the photos by their employer.

The media was held to a higher standard during the "Cronkite days".

Let me qualify this first by saying I support local law enforcement and have relatives in the business. That said the police sure get uppity sometimes when people photograph them while doing shakedowns.

Maybe I need a t-shirt with a saying "prozac for police"? Or, don't taze me bro?lol Family get-togethers are a hoot. Most cops I have been around are party animals. They do have difficult jobs.

Apologies if I thread jacked. I get on a roll sometimes and can't stop my fingers.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 16th, 2014 at 5:40:25 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
I support local law enforcement and have relatives in the business.

Precisely. business
February 9th, 2017 at 7:49:47 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
Completely correct. And it is even worse when they can just use the swag they take vs. filter it through an auction and get just their share of the cash. Government is looters, pure and simple.

As usual, Trump is on the wrong side of the issue. The nicest thing we could say about Trump is that he's ignorant and doesn't know what he's talking about.
February 9th, 2017 at 9:20:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
As usual, Trump is on the wrong side of the issue. The nicest thing we could say about Trump is that he's ignorant and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Morally he's wrong. No question about it.

But I wonder how this will play with his base. Many Golden Boy Fans can interpret this as being for "law and order," or "getting tough on criminals."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 9th, 2017 at 9:54:05 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Nareed
But I wonder how this will play with his base. Many Golden Boy Fans can interpret this as being for "law and order," or "getting tough on criminals."

It's a fascinating question: what will it take to get a Trump apologist to figure out that Trump is a con man?

They didn't seem to care about Trump's weird views on Putin, or Trump's accusation that Bush deliberately lying about Iraqi WMDs. So I presume they won't care too much about Trump's appalling views on civil forfeiture. Any thoughts, AZDuffman?
Page 4 of 7<1234567>